2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 3, 2012 -> 08:05 PM)
Pretty much. Consistency is the most valuable trait to have in the tournament.

The problem with that is how many truly consistent teams are there outside of Kentucky and Syracuse? Kansas? I'm not falling for that one again...

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 3, 2012 -> 08:12 PM)
The problem with that is how many truly consistent teams are there outside of Kentucky and Syracuse? Kansas? I'm not falling for that one again...

Why is that a problem? Two clear favorites is more than enough to fill out your bracket.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 3, 2012 -> 08:14 PM)
Why is that a problem? Two clear favorites is more than enough to fill out your bracket.

Syracuse has such a gigantic weakness that I don't think they can be considered a favorite.

Anywho, congrats Gage! LBSU's at large hopes took a huge hit tonight.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 3, 2012 -> 08:45 PM)
Syracuse has such a gigantic weakness that I don't think they can be considered a favorite.

Such a gigantic weakness that no one has beaten them at full strength? Come on

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 09:34 AM)
Barring a run in the Big Ten tourney, I concur. So many close losses too, what a bummer. I was hoping to get the chance to root for NU in the tourney, since the only exciting thing about the Illini is the hunt for next year's head coach.

Major fail. If you're actually an Illini fan you aren't rooting for Chicago's big ten team.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 3, 2012 -> 09:06 PM)
Such a gigantic weakness that no one has beaten them at full strength? Come on

When you let up that many offensive rebounds someone is going to get you in the tournament.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 3, 2012 -> 07:59 PM)
Iowa State beats Baylor to get the 3 seed in the Big 12 tourney, lining up on Mizzou's half. All I can think is the Mortal Kombat dude saying "Round 3, fight!"

Welcome to Thunderdome if we get past Texas.

Hopefully the win over Baylor can finally get us off of Jerry Palm's bubble.

Most awesome moment tonight was Christopherson hitting a free throw to put us up 8 with 9.2 left, then they sub him out. Instead of going straight to the bench, he heads to mid court, gets on his knees, and kisses the Iowa State logo at center court. Gonna miss watching him ball in Hilton, but glad he's going out on a tourney team - one that's looking f***ing dangerous right now. If they can make a little noise in Kansas City, they could be a very dangerous 6 seed.

Christopherson celebrated his final win in Hilton Coliseum - and what's set up to be first postseason trip with the Cyclones - by kneeling down and kissing the Iowa State logo at midcourt.

"Hilton's been good to me - and it's like real life. Any time a girl is good to you, you've got to let her know," Christopherson said. "I was just telling her thanks."

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 3, 2012 -> 09:29 PM)
Major fail. If you're actually an Illini fan you aren't rooting for Chicago's big ten team.

Is this serious? I don't get the Illini hate against NW. They are my #2 team to root for, they have been since I have been young. If they aren't playing the Illini, I always root for the Cats. One of my best young sports memories was NW beating Notre Dame in 95, that was so awesome.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 4, 2012 -> 03:00 AM)
Is this serious? I don't get the Illini hate against NW. They are my #2 team to root for, they have been since I have been young. If they aren't playing the Illini, I always root for the Cats. One of my best young sports memories was NW beating Notre Dame in 95, that was so awesome.

One of Thomas' big goals it to have a stronger presence in Chicago. Having NW make the tournament while the Illini miss really hurts that cause moving forward. It also plays right into the hands of their slogan.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 4, 2012 -> 10:03 AM)
One of Thomas' big goals it to have a stronger presence in Chicago. Having NW make the tournament while the Illini miss really hurts that cause moving forward. It also plays right into the hands of their slogan.

You want a presence in Chicago? Win. People in Chicago will care about NW making the tourney for about 0.2 seconds, then they will go back to the Bulls. The only reason they need that slogan is because they are last in the conference in alumni base in Chicago despite being located right outside of the city limits. What Northwestern does should have zero effect on any Illinois decisions.

Royce White gets Big 12 Newcomer of the Year and Fred Hoiberg and Bill Self get co-Big 12 coach of the year. Surprised Haith didn't get anything, but Hoiberg and Self definitely aren't wrong choices.

I'm not normally anti-mid-major, but I'm going to get highly annoyed if NU loses out on a bid to someone like Iona that choked and didn't beat anyone all year (though if NU loses to Minnesota it's their own damn fault).

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 4, 2012 -> 03:24 PM)
I'm not normally anti-mid-major, but I'm going to get highly annoyed if NU loses out on a bid to someone like Iona that choked and didn't beat anyone all year (though if NU loses to Minnesota it's their own damn fault).

What will upset me is if teams like WV or UConn get in over more deserving mid-major teams.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 4, 2012 -> 06:45 PM)
What will upset me is if teams like WV or UConn get in over more deserving mid-major teams.

My problem is determining what a "more deserving mid-major team" looks like when they don't play anyone (Iona) or do the exact same thing that teams like NU and UConn have done when they play real opponents (Long Beach State).

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 4, 2012 -> 09:07 PM)
No way Middle Tennessee St gets an at-large, no way!

Ha I wasn't talking about them stealing a bid, I just want the good mids to get in the tourny to create chaos and with MTSU and Iona losing today we lost two good ones that could have won a game or two in the big dance.