2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 11, 2012 -> 08:31 PM)
422050_3447789276477_1323053028_3282385_

Missouri won their tournament and gets a 2nd seed, not in Midwest.

Marcus Denmon ‏ @MizzouMonster12

Moral of the story schedule tough non conference games lose em get a high seed

They still didn't win the conference though.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 11, 2012 -> 08:45 PM)
They still didn't win the conference though.

That might hold weight, if Kansas was a 1.

Missouri is the only 30 win team ever to not get a 1 seed.

And if winning the conference outside the tournament is that important

1) Why have the tournament

2) Why isn't Washington in the bracket?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 11, 2012 -> 09:39 PM)

How many #1 seeds have not won their conference in the regular season? Honest question.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 11, 2012 -> 08:39 PM)

The major conferences have the tournament for one reason. To make money. That's the only one.

Because the Pac12 sucked and there were more deserving teams. The Pac 12 didn't have a full round robin schedule. Washington won the conference, but lost to Cal at home who had a similar if not better resume. The "won the conference argument can't be made here because the conferences aren't equal.

Edited by Rex Hudler

danman, I get your angst over Missouri not getting the number one seed. I'm not a bracketologist but looking at those that make the predictions did not have Missouri on the one line. So I will assume they didn't belong and were a deserving #2 for the purposes of this post.

What I don't get is everyone whining about Missouri getting the last 2 seed as #8 on the S curve. Who the hell cares. That position did them a favor. They ended up paired with the weakest #1 seed so despite their position on the S curve, it wasn't followed and they benefitted. Would you really have rather been opposite North Carolina just to get a possible Sweet Sixteeh spot in St. Louis than getting Michigan State in Phoenix? I understand the allure of playing near home, but I'd much rather potentially see Michigan St.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 11, 2012 -> 09:05 PM)
danman, I get your angst over Missouri not getting the number one seed. I'm not a bracketologist but looking at those that make the predictions did not have Missouri on the one line. So I will assume they didn't belong and were a deserving #2 for the purposes of this post.

What I don't get is everyone whining about Missouri getting the last 2 seed as #8 on the S curve. Who the hell cares. That position did them a favor. They ended up paired with the weakest #1 seed so despite their position on the S curve, it wasn't followed and they benefitted. Would you really have rather been opposite North Carolina just to get a possible Sweet Sixteeh spot in St. Louis than getting Michigan State in Phoenix? I understand the allure of playing near home, but I'd much rather potentially see Michigan St.

Selfishly I wanted St. Louis because I would have gone.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 11, 2012 -> 10:58 PM)
Well that's not true.

They kept saying it on ESPN...?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 11, 2012 -> 11:18 PM)
Selfishly I wanted St. Louis because I would have gone.

This. I drive through St. Louis on the 23rd on my way back home. Wanted that so bad.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 12, 2012 -> 02:07 AM)
So you were willing to give up St. Louis for a #1 seed, but if you were a #2 you wanted to be in the midwest? If Missouri got a #1 seed, they would have most certainly gotten shipped to the west.

Yeah that was more arguing over semantics.

As for the 30 win thing, the stat I heard (via a friend not ESPN) applied to major conferences.

How many #1 seeds have not won their conference in the regular season? Honest question.

Not sure, but I know that conferences have gotten multiple #1 seeds several times before, so obviously in those cases there were #1 seeds that didn't win their conference.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 11, 2012 -> 08:28 PM)
Cal complaining about having the toughest region despite being in by far the easiest region.

They have by far the hardest potential second round matchup. They can't be happy about having a team as talented as UConn right there. They could definitely bring them down.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 12, 2012 -> 02:07 AM)
So you were willing to give up St. Louis for a #1 seed, but if you were a #2 you wanted to be in the midwest? If Missouri got a #1 seed, they would have most certainly gotten shipped to the west.

I feel like Missouri is disrespected with the #2, after actually winning their Conference Tournament and of the top 8 only Michigan State did as well, but a #2 in St. Louis would have made up for it.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 12, 2012 -> 03:31 AM)
Yeah that was more arguing over semantics.

As for the 30 win thing, the stat I heard (via a friend not ESPN) applied to major conferences.

Ok, that would make more sense.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 12, 2012 -> 03:24 PM)
They have by far the hardest potential second round matchup. They can't be happy about having a team as talented as UConn right there. They could definitely bring them down.

I would be far more worried with White and Iowa State than UCONN. Creighton and Memphis are the worst 8/9 games for number ones.