2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else really intrigued by the 1-16's and 2-15's today? Detroit, LIU, Vermont and Lehigh are all better than their seeds.

I'm actually insanely interested in the MSU-LIU game, I think that game is going to be extremely close...

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 16, 2012 -> 08:51 AM)
Anyone else really intrigued by the 1-16's and 2-15's today? Detroit, LIU, Vermont and Lehigh are all better than their seeds.

I'm actually insanely interested in the MSU-LIU game, I think that game is going to be extremely close...

Is John Henson playing? That could give Vermont a bit more of a chance. Kansas should beat Detroit, but never count on Bill Self vs a double digit seed. I think Mizzou is the most likely to roll out of all those 1 & 2 games.

It may not happen today, but over time, we are going to start seeing more 15-2 upsets and probably even a 16-1 upset.

Beginning last year there are now six #16 seeds, when there used to be just four, and then five for a while. At the bottom of the bracket, there is a bigger talent gap between teams, meaning that the sixth-worst team in the field is quite a bit better than the fourth-worst team and is much more likely to upset a #1 seed. That also means that the tenth-worst team is now a #15 seed instead of a #14, and is much more likely to knock off a #2 seed.

You mention Lehigh as an example. They are #82 in the Pomeroy ratings. Virginia Tech is #83 and they lost to Duke 3 times by 4-5 points each time.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 16, 2012 -> 08:51 AM)

I've been seriously tempted to pick Detroit.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 16, 2012 -> 07:43 AM)
Wanted to say congrats to the IU and ISU fans. I've bashed your teams all year long and they both came out and kicked some ass...

Throw in the pathetic showing from the MWC so far and the opposite of what you said is happening this year. No chaos, the only upsets are to MWC teams and Creighton is losing to make the MVC look awful as well. Good year mid-majors!

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 16, 2012 -> 07:43 AM)
Wanted to say congrats to the IU and ISU fans. I've bashed your teams all year long and they both came out and kicked some ass...

Thanks...it was nice after a lot of people not giving ISU a chance against the talent of UCONN.

Anything from here on out is gravy.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 16, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)
Throw in the pathetic showing from the MWC so far and the opposite of what you said is happening this year. No chaos, the only upsets are to MWC teams and Creighton is losing to make the MVC look awful as well. Good year mid-majors!

Creighton responded to a jinx I guess. Good game!

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 16, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)

Yup, in my defense, I didn't have too many lower seeds going to far once I saw the bracket(a lot of the mids I really liked got knocked out before they had a shot) but ya, definitely correct to call me out on that one.

Do I at least get a half a point, for saying that I thought a 1 or 2 would lose today?

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 16, 2012 -> 11:05 PM)
It's funny how fans of each team hate one another during the season but once tourney time or bowl season comes its all go Big Ten or whichever conference.

exactly. f*** rooting for rivals unless its a football bowl game against a team from the SEC. I will root for the team I dislike less. So if its VT-Notre Dame, go VT. If its VT vs Texas then VT can f*** themselves.

The best thing CBS has done as far as coverage is utilize their sister stations to show all games. The worst effect of that is having to listen to these NBA guys who don't have a clue about the college game. I don't want to listen to guys who don't call college basketball all year b**** about the referees for making calls because they disagree with the rules. Charles Barkley is brutal and has no business in the studio.

It's ALMOST as bad as when we had to listen to all of the NFL guys call the BCS games when Fox had the contract.

I'm no basketball rules expert but when I saw the lane violation yesterday, I kept thinking there had to be a rule I didn't know about that they just called. You'd think that would dawn on them, and even if they didn't know it, they could talk about how they are looking it up as we speak to get the correct interpretation, etc.

But to have that come up YESTERDAY and then again today and you still don't know it...are you paying attention to the rest of the tournament at all? Everyone else on their couch knew what was going on.

And yes, Barkley is an idiot.