2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 03:13 PM)
Exactly. I'm a Big East guy so I won't have to deal with watching it. And NW isn't exactly a good program so all this would do is bring attention they otherwise would not have received.

And make them more of a joke of a program. Not all attention is good attention.

That court would be a joke, it's something a high school would even think twice about doing.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 08:08 PM)
And make them more of a joke of a program. Not all attention is good attention.

That court would be a joke, it's something a high school would even think twice about doing.

Eh, I don't know if it would. Boise has the blue turf, Eastern Washington has red, Oregon has the ridiculous basketball court. It would draw attention that's for sure, and I'm not sure it'd be a bad thing. It could even end up serving as a significant home court advantage

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 01:54 PM)
The all-purple one is painful.

As someone who goes to Welsh-Ryan to see the Illini play every year, I think it would be awesome. It could be quite a cool contrast if the Illini wore their orange. (If I was a NU fan, I'd probably hate the idea.)

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 02:49 PM)
Jared Sullinger said he's 6'5 on twitter today. Which means he'll be the first fat 6'5 power forward to get picked in the top 5 since Charles Barkley. Although, was he even fat coming out of college?

Charles%20Barkley%201987.jpg

That's Barkley in either his first or 2nd season.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 01:49 PM)
Jared Sullinger said he's 6'5 on twitter today. Which means he'll be the first fat 6'5 power forward to get picked in the top 5 since Charles Barkley. Although, was he even fat coming out of college?

He's lost alot of weight this offseason. He's going to be a monster again this year. With a face up game.

And pretty sure he was joking about the 6'5" comment.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 01:49 PM)

Barkley wasn't even 6'5"

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
He's lost alot of weight this offseason. He's going to be a monster again this year. With a face up game.

And pretty sure he was joking about the 6'5" comment.

While Sullinger is obviously an outstanding college player, you're basically the Ohio State version of Baghdad Bob, so I'll wait and see on the bolded. I always thought Sullinger was closer to 6'6 or 6'7, but 6'5 wouldn't shock me.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 06:48 PM)
While Sullinger is obviously an outstanding college player, you're basically the Ohio State version of Baghdad Bob, so I'll wait and see on the bolded. I always thought Sullinger was closer to 6'6 or 6'7, but 6'5 wouldn't shock me.

Coming from someone who hates anything related to OSU thats pretty funny.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball...jared-sullinger

Going to be a beast, and OSU should once again take the conference.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 10:31 PM)
Coming from someone who hates anything related to OSU thats pretty funny.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball...jared-sullinger

Going to be a beast, and OSU should once again take the conference.

Does Sullinger have any tattoos? How much did he pay for them?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 01:34 PM)
Used to be a lottery for it, every year I was there, a lot of people didn't get them.

That's how bad the excitement for the program was killed under McDermott.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 06:48 PM)

I assume he's actually 6'7", MAYBE 6'8". Regardless, the kid is still a candidate for PotY in the B1G, and Ohio State is definitely the favorite heading into the season.

Though obviously, the Hoosiers are going to go undefeated in conference and hang up the 6th banner this year.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 02:00 PM)
I assume he's actually 6'7", MAYBE 6'8". Regardless, the kid is still a candidate for PotY in the B1G, and Ohio State is definitely the favorite heading into the season.

Though obviously, the Hoosiers are going to go undefeated in conference and hang up the 6th banner this year.

Last I saw his true measurements he was 6'8" (no shoes) with a 7-1.5 in wingspan. That was over a year ago.

And its a good thing you have some confidence in your team this year, always better to have positive fans on the board instead of plain haters (not saying thats you). I still think they're a year away but they should take down some teams this year.

Edited by RockRaines

Oh yeah, the 6th banner thing was obviously in jest. Crean will most definitely get 2-3 more years, because of Zeller this year, and banner recruiting class coming the year after. This should definitely be the best year of his tenure so far. For the past few years, there have been people playing who shouldn't have been...this will be the first year that there will probably be people who should be playing but won't be able to.

I don't think Zeller will be some massive savior (frankly, he was more that in the sense that news of his commit was the "We're coming back" catalyst, and directly led to a few more recruits). But he's going to be the most talented player on the roster, and he's a big, which is something we desperately need. He's more of a 4, but he might be forced into the 5 sometimes. Hopefully, Watford and Elston will be able to go out to the 3 more, instead of having to play the 4/5.

I'm also excited for Abell, and to see if he's actually a point guard. A big point who can drive? That's exactly what Crean's offense needs. Well, that and to not stand around holding the ball for ten seconds at a time. That happens way too often.

Apparently Sheehey and Oladipo have really improved, too. If Dipo can learn to become at least a decent shooter, he could be All Big Ten. He can get to the hoop with the best of them, and he's freakishly athletic. Also, he's probably our best defender. Sheehey is also really athletic, and the same goes for him if he could learn to shoot...but he crashes the boards less than Dipo. But that dunk Sheehey had against Iowa last year? WOW.

Overall, I'm thinking it's going to be roughly .500 overall, and maybe like 6-10 (or are we up to an 18 game schedule now? In that case, 7-11) or 7-9. Better than the 3-15 of last year, anyway.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)
Oh yeah, the 6th banner thing was obviously in jest. Crean will most definitely get 2-3 more years, because of Zeller this year, and banner recruiting class coming the year after. This should definitely be the best year of his tenure so far. For the past few years, there have been people playing who shouldn't have been...this will be the first year that there will probably be people who should be playing but won't be able to.

I don't think Zeller will be some massive savior (frankly, he was more that in the sense that news of his commit was the "We're coming back" catalyst, and directly led to a few more recruits). But he's going to be the most talented player on the roster, and he's a big, which is something we desperately need. He's more of a 4, but he might be forced into the 5 sometimes. Hopefully, Watford and Elston will be able to go out to the 3 more, instead of having to play the 4/5.

I'm also excited for Abell, and to see if he's actually a point guard. A big point who can drive? That's exactly what Crean's offense needs. Well, that and to not stand around holding the ball for ten seconds at a time. That happens way too often.

Apparently Sheehey and Oladipo have really improved, too. If Dipo can learn to become at least a decent shooter, he could be All Big Ten. He can get to the hoop with the best of them, and he's freakishly athletic. Also, he's probably our best defender. Sheehey is also really athletic, and the same goes for him if he could learn to shoot...but he crashes the boards less than Dipo. But that dunk Sheehey had against Iowa last year? WOW.

Overall, I'm thinking it's going to be roughly .500 overall, and maybe like 6-10 (or are we up to an 18 game schedule now? In that case, 7-11) or 7-9. Better than the 3-15 of last year, anyway.

I'm excited for the Zeller v. Leonard battles. Both guys ranked about the same coming out of HS, both pretty raw, but clearly talented.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 03:20 PM)
I'm excited for the Zeller v. Leonard battles. Both guys ranked about the same coming out of HS, both pretty raw, but clearly talented.

Zeller is more of an offensive threat right? While Leonard is more of a defensive players/dunker? I heard he had a good summer on the USA team. I'm hoping Amir Williams can body up both.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 03:38 PM)
Zeller is more of an offensive threat right? While Leonard is more of a defensive players/dunker? I heard he had a good summer on the USA team. I'm hoping Amir Williams can body up both.

Sounds like Zeller is like his brother - more spot up shooter type with some decent post moves. Leonard I think is just gonna be a bull that wants to destroy you. From what i've read he did have a good summer and by the end of the u19 trip he was one of the better (top 5) players. We'll see. He's the key to the entire Illini season so.....no pressure!

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 03:42 PM)
Sounds like Zeller is like his brother - more spot up shooter type with some decent post moves. Leonard I think is just gonna be a bull that wants to destroy you. From what i've read he did have a good summer and by the end of the u19 trip he was one of the better (top 5) players. We'll see. He's the key to the entire Illini season so.....no pressure!

I saw the feedback was that he was a monster in the paint. That sounds more like what we thought he was going to be when he was recruited.