2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

I know my opinion is different than most. I just don't see a POY type player. I see a great player and an elite defensive player. He just doesn't strike me as the best in the game. Maybe my opinion is colored too much by his struggles against IU. He rebounded well, had a few blocked shots, but didn't score much. I've seen him score in other games, but I just don't think I'd have voted for him to be the best.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see where Rex is coming from, but like him, the only time I only ever watched Davis was against Iowa State, and he was the third or fourth most impressive player that night behind White, Teague and Miller.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 04:08 PM)
I see where Rex is coming from, but like him, the only time I only ever watched Davis was against Iowa State, and he was the third or fourth most impressive player that night behind White, Teague and Miller.

I guess I should clarify further. I'm not sure I have a better candidate for POY either. IMO there wasn't a clear cut candidate this year. Again, not a knock on Davis or others, just none wowed me to the point I would toss their name up as a clear cut favorite. All showed great flashes and are great players.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 09:39 PM)
I guess I should clarify further. I'm not sure I have a better candidate for POY either. IMO there wasn't a clear cut candidate this year. Again, not a knock on Davis or others, just none wowed me to the point I would toss their name up as a clear cut favorite. All showed great flashes and are great players.

Did you watch the Final Four game?

Pearl apologizes to Collins for Accusations

Collins hadn't communicated with Pearl since the 1980s until Pearl approached him on Bourbon Street in New Orleans during the Final Four festivities on Friday night.

"I was just walking down Bourbon Street talking to some people and when I looked up, he was walking toward me," Collins said on Saturday. "When he got to me, he started to apologize for what had happened. He made it clear that he was young and didn't understand things. He ended up by saying he really felt bad because he knew Deon Thomas got hurt.

"The truth of the matter was it was fine. It was a guy who had gone through some changes, and as he's gotten older, he realized some things were wrong, and he apologized for it."

Collins said he accepted the apology and has moved on.

"I let it go," Collins said. "There's nothing I can do with what happened then. I'm not going around with a lot of hate in my heart. I'm not going to hold a grudge all your life."

Collins also said he ran into Thomas later in the evening and told him of Pearl's apology.

"Deon's one of the nicest people you'll meet in life," Collins said. "He didn't want to elaborate on it one way or another. He just said okay."

So wait, all three were on/near Bourbon Street and ran into each other coincidentally? Just seems weird.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 1, 2012 -> 12:51 AM)
Did you watch the Final Four game?

What part of stating that he is a very good player are you not getting? Yes I saw the game. I have seen him play many times this year. He is very good. I don't dispute that, nor have I from the beginning.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 1, 2012 -> 09:44 PM)
Notre Dame outlasts UConn in OT to go to the National Championship game.

Britney Griner maybe the first girls basketball player that I enjoy watching. Total domination.

And Britney Jackson from Tennessee years ago. Yowzas.

Even the stats disagree with you. If you want to say that MKG will be a better NBA player, then that's one thing, but Davis has easily been the POY.

I would say both of those things. Davis was clearly the best player in college this year, but I don't see him being a dominant NBA player.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 09:38 PM)
I know my opinion is different than most. I just don't see a POY type player. I see a great player and an elite defensive player. He just doesn't strike me as the best in the game. Maybe my opinion is colored too much by his struggles against IU. He rebounded well, had a few blocked shots, but didn't score much. I've seen him score in other games, but I just don't think I'd have voted for him to be the best.

Agreed. Even his defense is overrated to an extent, as he likely isn't guarding the best opposing big. His help d is what makes him elite.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 04:52 PM)
Well, they can just use the football facilities right?

Not really, football is football and gets all their own s***. I believe the number I saw was under 4 million invested in the bball team. Football spends almost 40 million. They have basically their own giant multi million dollar facility in the WHAC. Bball has a nice stadium and all but thats about it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 05:41 AM)
weird things happen on Bourbon St

Bourbon Street is such a great place! The atmosphere for the Sugar Bowl was perfect. Michigan and VA Tech fans had no animosity toward each other so everybody was all about drinking and having fun. It was easy to get into good conversations with those wearing the other team's colors. It probably didn't hurt that there weren't too many locals there with it being sandwiched between New Year's Eve and the Nat. Championship game. But it was still one helluva time. The only bad thing about Bourbon Street is the full week of recovery your body needs when returning home. :)