2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 04:01 PM)
Zeller ended up being #10 in RSCI. I thought Leonard dropped big time after his senior year? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. Either way, I won't be surprised if Zeller is only here for 2 years.

I though he got up to the 30's somewhere. Regardless, at that point unless you're the absolute cream of the crop the 5-50 players are essentially the same. They have the chance to be special, but it's not a guarantee.

And as I like to keep reminding my Indiana friends, keep your expectations in check. His brother was supposed to be this all time great college player too, and it took him what, 3 years and he's still not some consensus All-NBA lock? Translating your game from high school to college is incredibly difficult.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 04:19 PM)
I though he got up to the 30's somewhere. Regardless, at that point unless you're the absolute cream of the crop the 5-50 players are essentially the same. They have the chance to be special, but it's not a guarantee.

And as I like to keep reminding my Indiana friends, keep your expectations in check. His brother was supposed to be this all time great college player too, and it took him what, 3 years and he's still not some consensus All-NBA lock? Translating your game from high school to college is incredibly difficult.

What was their competition in HS like?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 05:19 PM)

No, he continued to blow up and ended up rising further than he ever has. Most expections are that he'll give us around 10 and 5 or 11 and 6. That alone with create so many opportunities for Watford and Hulls.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 05:20 PM)
What was their competition in HS like?

Indiana High school ball is one of the most talent rich states, you should know, Thad's been stealing the talent for 10 years haha... The coaching in high school is definitely tops in the country.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 05:41 PM)
Indiana High school ball is one of the most talent rich states, you should know, Thad's been stealing the talent for 10 years haha... The coaching in high school is definitely tops in the country.

I'm not familiar with the divisions/classes etc in Indiana, actually only in Illinois and Ohio football.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 05:40 PM)
No, he continued to blow up and ended up rising further than he ever has. Most expections are that he'll give us around 10 and 5 or 11 and 6. That alone with create so many opportunities for Watford and Hulls.

Yeah, well, Jereme Richmond was supposed to be a stud player too. Things don't always pan out.

Apparently Illinois destroyed West Virginia in a 20 minute scrimmage today. 45-9 before the scrubs got in to finish at 45-19. They dominated the boards and were diving all over the floor. Only summer ball, but a good sign if they're starting to take the season seriously already.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 04:06 PM)
Apparently Illinois destroyed West Virginia in a 20 minute scrimmage today. 45-9 before the scrubs got in to finish at 45-19. They dominated the boards and were diving all over the floor. Only summer ball, but a good sign if they're starting to take the season seriously already.

I can't wait to see this team after losing that senior class that didn't want to lead but at the same time didn't want anyone else leading.

These yougner guys seem hungry and want to prove something, I'm loving it thus far.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 04:08 PM)
I can't wait to see this team after losing that senior class that didn't want to lead but at the same time didn't want anyone else leading.

These yougner guys seem hungry and want to prove something, I'm loving it thus far.

Losing those seniors is going to refresh the program in my opinion. Plus, Bruce has a new AD to impress. I expect Illinois to have a very good season.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 01:22 AM)
Losing those seniors is going to refresh the program in my opinion. Plus, Bruce has a new AD to impress. I expect Illinois to have a very good season.

After the last few seasons, I'm not getting my hopes up until I see progress. Although, once that first ball is tipped, I'm sure I'll be all in like always.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 07:47 AM)
After the last few seasons, I'm not getting my hopes up until I see progress. Although, once that first ball is tipped, I'm sure I'll be all in like always.

It's gonna be my senior year, I hope at least one of football/basketball can be a good competitor.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)
Oh yeah, the 6th banner thing was obviously in jest. Crean will most definitely get 2-3 more years, because of Zeller this year, and banner recruiting class coming the year after.

Crean's locked in for at least 4 more years, assuming he inks the verbal commits from Lyles and Blackmon Jr. in the 2014 class. He's owning the Indiana state talent and that's what the alumni want. The wins will follow.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 05:43 PM)
Apparently Georgetown got into a brawl with a Chinese team on their tour through China. Thompson had to pull his kids off the floor, they had chairs and bottles thrown at them.

Good article on deadspin about it

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 12:14 PM)
From the sounds of the officiating I think I would have just left before the brawl started.

SO before I watched the video I immediately thought that G'Town would be at fault. But wow, those Chinese kids are dirty and fight dirty. They were clearly the aggressors for the most part and were hitting players with chairs.