2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 09:50 AM)
It has to do with the comparison you made. Football in Texas is way crazier than bball in Indiana particularly because of the size and competition level in the state as well as the deep bucket of talent.

Size has nothing to do with craze. Hell in Indiana it is the opposite, most of those towns there is literally nothing else to do on a Friday night but take in basketball. A couple of the towns I broadcast in could have crowds for basketball games that were 2-3 times their population. That is crazy.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 10:05 AM)
Size has nothing to do with craze. Hell in Indiana it is the opposite, most of those towns there is literally nothing else to do on a Friday night but take in basketball. A couple of the towns I broadcast in could have crowds for basketball games that were 2-3 times their population. That is crazy.

Thats also true in Texas. But instead of a bunch of towns, its hundreds and hundreds of towns outside of large cities. If you think Indiana is desolate in some parts (it is) try going to West Texas. Its not comparable IMO.

I'd put Indiana bball more on par with football in Ohio.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 10:08 AM)
That also has nothing to do with expectations for IU or how important basketball is in Indiana.

Ok whatever, Indiana is the craziest basketball place on the planet, nowhere even comes close, blah blah blah.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 10:09 AM)
Thats also true in Texas. But instead of a bunch of towns, its hundreds and hundreds of towns outside of large cities. If you think Indiana is desolate in some parts (it is) try going to West Texas. Its not comparable IMO.

I'd put Indiana bball more on par with football in Ohio.

I really think you are trying too hard to make population equate to passion.

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 02:04 AM)
You always have ridiculous expectations, IU will never be good again.. just accept it

WTF are you talking about? IU being a bubble team this year is ridiculous? IU has been horses*** for 3-4 years now and I was ready for it each of those those. Ok "PAPA"

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 10:49 AM)
I was joking, I just don't like He Gawn OR Indiana anything..

Weird, I don't even know who the heck you are, nor have I seen your username in here. Sorry that I like IU and you don't. Boo-f***in-hoo

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 11:08 AM)
That also has nothing to do with expectations for IU or how important basketball is in Indiana.

It really boils down to HS basketball in the state. Nowhere else compares when it comes to fan following and such.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 03:38 PM)
Indiana's National Championship Train takes a hit. According to Andy Katz, Maurice Creek suffers Achilles tear, likely out for the season

I feel so bad for that kid, he has the worst time with injuries.

In terms of this season though, it doesn't affect anything, at least to me -- I wasn't including him any rotation projections, because I had no idea what his health status would be (though I certainly didn't expect him to get injured again).

QUOTE (farmteam @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 05:12 PM)
I feel so bad for that kid, he has the worst time with injuries.

In terms of this season though, it doesn't affect anything, at least to me -- I wasn't including him any rotation projections, because I had no idea what his health status would be (though I certainly didn't expect him to get injured again).

No joke, 3 serious, serious injuries in a matter of 22 months. That's worse than freakin' Hummel. Agree with you though, he wasn't even cleared for full contact before this. Oladipo and Sheehey will be just fine.

"We know Tom Crean went to Hamilton Southeastern a day after the contact period ended and had contact with Gary Harris. Crean went to HSE believing it was the final day of the contact period based on information given to him by assistant Tim Buckley, according to IU’s report. In actuality, It was the first day the contact period ended and the evaluation period began.

There are three periods of time in recruiting: The dead period (means nothing can happen; no watching, contact, anything), the evaluation period (coaches can watch and evaluate prospects during allowed times such as high school games or practices or certain weeks in July but can’t talk with them) and the contact period (when coaches are allowed to have contact with players, their parents, etc.).

Had Crean been at Hamilton Southeastern on Wednesday and spoken with Harris, it would have been allowed. It happened the day after, so it was a secondary violation.

It is worth noting that Crean and Buckley reported the violation themselves to IU’s compliance department ? Buckley even going over there in person to tell them ? and IU reported it immediately to the Big Ten and the NCAA.

Now, what are the penalties?

Well, it’s worth noting that IU self-imposed several penalties for the secondary violation. A very high percentage of time, the NCAA accepts self-imposed penalties for secondary violations and that’s the end of it.

Certainly, there is a high degree of sensitivity to NCAA violations considering IU is on the verge of coming off three years probations for Kelvin Sampson’s violations. However, Sampson’s violations were more serious for two reasons: First, he was a two-time offender and, second, his actions were viewed by the NCAA as a systematic, organized, intentional attempt to circumvent the rules.

Making a mistake on the recruiting calendar will not be viewed the same.

A secondary violation, in general terms, is something that is “inadvertent” or “isolated” and doesn’t give a team a significant competitive advantage. If this is viewed by the NCAA as inadvertent and isolated, based on precedent, that will be the end of it.

Now, could IU get hit harder because it already is on probation? It is possible, but NCAA previous decisions suggest it isn’t likely. (That’s not an opinion. That is a statement based on precedent. There is a difference.)

Just for comparison’s sake, Alabama this summer self-reported 44 secondary violations that occurred over a two-year span. Any serious sanctions? No.

As with any situation such as this, the NCAA evaluates an institution’s report, decides whether to accept it or investigate further. If the NCAA investigates further and finds more to the situation, it has the power to charge an institution with a higher violation.

Given NCAA president Mark Emmert’s stance to stop wasting time on small issues and focus on major ones, it’s difficult to believe this gets much attention.

Now, about the one line in the report: “Has the institution declared the student-athlete ineligible? Yes”

That is nothing more than a procedural item. It means, at this moment in time, Gary Harris is not eligible to compete for Indiana University. It does not mean IU cannot recruit him nor does it mean Harris can’t play for IU. All it means is that at this moment, Gary Harris is not eligible to compete for IU. After the self report has been evaluated and if it is accepted, Harris will be “reinstated.” It may sound a little silly, but it’s procedural.

If you’ll recall, IU committed a secondary violation in regard to Derek Elston - he received a T-shirt - and IU was allowed to continue to recruit Elston, who, obviously, is currently playing for IU. At one point in time during the paperwork reporting of that violation, Elston was listed as ineligible for IU. So again, that line is a procedural item.

Now, will this be a deciding factor in the recruitment of Gary Harris? It seems rather doubtful. I can’t count the number of players I’ve covered who had a school commit a minor violation during their recruitment only to end up there. That’s not to infer any leaning on Harris’ part, only that history suggests these moments by themselves most often do not determine the outcome of a recruitment.

What will be final outcome? That won't be known until the NCAA responds to the report and we see if it follows precedent or goes another direction.

UPDATE: A source who deals in compliance issues just emailed late to make a very good point: All recruiting contacts must be logged. If on Oct. 6, Indiana coaches went to the school's compliance office and had the visit to Hamilton Southeastern already logged, it would be difficult to prove it wasn't a mistake because there was no attempt to hide the visit. It was logged. It was on the books, so to speak. The source said that is one question the NCAA would ask, if it gets to the point of questions being asked."

IU reported 11 secondary violations last year alone, most just never hit the media. Happens everywhere, you just have to file to see the the school's compliance records, which evidently someone from UK did. So basically, the NCAA will accept IU's self imposed 2 day penalty and host Gary Harris this weekend.

Surprising (to me too) note from Buckeye camp about a Chicago guy:

The most surprising performance came from Lenzelle Smith, a seldom-used guard a year ago who may just be the frontrunner to earn the fifth and final spot to start this season. The other four will almost certainly go to Sullinger, Buford, Craft and Thomas. However, Smith has shot it well, he's strong, athletic, plays with a motor and can defend. "I need him to be out Ronald Nored," Matta said. That's a high expectation, but Smith can be a quality glue guy who brings multiple assets to the table this year.