2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 10:13 PM)
I'm going to ask because as much as I should be in tune with Purdue, I'm not. Would Purdue's chances rest mostly on Robbie Hummel's health and effectiveness? Do they have enough behind him if he isn't the player he once was.

They have some big holes to fill, that is for sure.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 10:13 PM)
I'm going to ask because as much as I should be in tune with Purdue, I'm not. Would Purdue's chances rest mostly on Robbie Hummel's health and effectiveness? Do they have enough behind him if he isn't the player he once was.

They have some decent talent coming in next year I believe, but this year its all Robbie

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 10:00 AM)
They have some decent talent coming in next year I believe, but this year its all Robbie

They picked up two 3-stars this year, but you're right, next year is pretty good. I didn't realize they got AJ Hammons, that's a good commit. In my clearly biased opinion, though, IU's 2012 class is much much better/deeper, and IU will be a better team next year too.

Also, Lewis Jackson is pretty good. Stereotype of a guy who can be pretty good in college because he's so quick, but won't sniff the NBA because he's too small (5'8" might be generous).

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 03:02 PM)
Speaking of the Illini not living up to expectations, Jereme Richmond is back in jail for failing a marijuana test while out on bond.

Nice. Also, I'm calling this now: I don't think Mitch McGary will be a very good college player, at least in the sense that he'll get in trouble too much to be effective. Could be completely wrong, but call it a hunch.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 03:39 PM)
Nice. Also, I'm calling this now: I don't think Mitch McGary will be a very good college player, at least in the sense that he'll get in trouble too much to be effective. Could be completely wrong, but call it a hunch.

Its not trouble, its effort with McGary. If he gets on the floor, he will be really, really good.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 05:35 PM)
McGary has completely transformed his body and his mentality. He's going to tear it up for a year and head on to the NBA.

If he has turned things around mentally, then good for him and he will probably prove me wrong. Let's just say I knew a ton of people from Chesterton at IU, and the stories I heard about him made me think very hard about whether or not he'd fit at IU (this was when they were still listed as potential suitors; not too long after I heard these stories, Crean sort of stopped recruiting him, so it seemed kinda suspicious to me).

He went to prep and got the proper help he needed. Sounds like he had more issues than just his ADD. He's a monster now. He would probably be at IU if it weren't for the people around him. There's a reason Indiana and Purdue "suddenly" left the picture.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 07:01 PM)
He went to prep and got the proper help he needed. Sounds like he had more issues than just his ADD. He's a monster now. He would probably be at IU if it weren't for the people around him. There's a reason Indiana and Purdue "suddenly" left the picture.

Yeah, I talked to some people tonight. "one and done". All of them said he was the most complete big man they have ever seen, and the group in the conversation had about 500 IHSAA wins in it, and has seen plenty of Mr Basketballs and future NBA players

interesting stat correlating recruiting with winning titles:

In the Past 9 years from 2002 to 2011 here are the top 21 teams ranked by how many top 100 signings they had:

1. Duke (34)

2. North Carolina (30)

T-3. Kansas (27)

T-3. Kentucky (27)

T-5. Arizona (25)

T-5. Connecticut (25)

T-5. Florida (25)

T-5. Syracuse (25)

T-9. Louisville (24)

T-9. Texas (24)

T-9. UCLA (24)

T-12. Memphis (23)

T-12. Michigan State (23)

T-12. Ohio State (23)

T-15. Florida State (20)

T-15. Illinois (20)

17. Villanova (19)

18. Georgetown (18)

T-19. Alabama (17)

T-19. Georgia Tech (17)

T-19. Indiana (17)

The top 8 teams on the list have won the last 9 championships. If you look at all 21 teams, 17 made at least one Final Four between 2003 and 2011, and the group is responsible for 28 of the 36 Final Four slots in those years. The question is, does top 100 recruiting guarantee success or does success guarantee top 100 recruiting?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 03:26 PM)

In the Past 9 years from 2002 to 2011 here are the top 21 teams ranked by how many top 100 signings they had:

1. Duke (34)

2. North Carolina (30)

T-3. Kansas (27)

T-3. Kentucky (27)

T-5. Arizona (25)

T-5. Connecticut (25)

T-5. Florida (25)

T-5. Syracuse (25)

T-9. Louisville (24)

T-9. Texas (24)

T-9. UCLA (24)

T-12. Memphis (23)

T-12. Ohio State (23)

T-15. Florida State (20)

T-15. Illinois (20)

17. Villanova (19)

18. Georgetown (18)

T-19. Alabama (17)

T-19. Georgia Tech (17)

T-19. Indiana (17)

The top 8 teams on the list have won the last 9 championships. If you look at all 21 teams, 17 made at least one Final Four between 2003 and 2011, and the group is responsible for 28 of the 36 Final Four slots in those years. The question is, does top 100 recruiting guarantee success or does success guarantee top 100 recruiting?

Success guarantees top 100 recruiting, while top 100 recruiting guarantees sustained success.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 03:26 PM)

1. Duke (34)

2. North Carolina (30)

T-3. Kansas (27)

T-3. Kentucky (27)

T-5. Arizona (25)

T-5. Connecticut (25)

T-5. Florida (25)

T-5. Syracuse (25)

T-9. Louisville (24)

T-9. Texas (24)

T-9. UCLA (24)

T-12. Memphis (23)

T-12. Ohio State (23)

T-15. Florida State (20)

T-15. Illinois (20)

17. Villanova (19)

18. Georgetown (18)

T-19. Alabama (17)

T-19. Georgia Tech (17)

T-19. Indiana (17)

Weber can't recruit!!!!

I could really see it being Michigan. I know he and Glenn Robinson III are buddies. Plus I just can't see him making it at Duke, especially since all indications are he will be a one and done.

http://detnews.com/article/20111027/SPORTS...pUXb0g.facebook

Five-star Mitch McGary narrows college choices to Michigan, Duke, Florida

The Detroit News

Five-star big man Mitch McGary of Wolfeboro, N.H., has narrowed his college choices to three — and Michigan is one of the finalists.

"At this point, I'm focusing on Florida, Duke and Michigan," McGary wrote on his blog for ESPN.

McGary also says he plans to announce a verbal commitment next week.

McGary (6-10, 245) is ranked the No. 1 center in the nation by Scout.com.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20111027/SPORTS...a#ixzz1c0fHHZud

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 27, 2011 -> 02:52 PM)
I could really see it being Michigan. I know he and Glenn Robinson III are buddies. Plus I just can't see him making it at Duke, especially since all indications are he will be a one and done.

He almost popped for UM 2 weeks ago until Billy D visited him at school. I still think it will be UM, but his parents are pushing Duke. I don't know why being a one and done wouldn't mean Duke... Austin Rivers will be a one and done.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Oct 27, 2011 -> 08:37 PM)
He almost popped for UM 2 weeks ago until Billy D visited him at school. I still think it will be UM, but his parents are pushing Duke. I don't know why being a one and done wouldn't mean Duke... Austin Rivers will be a one and done.

Donovan is supposed to be a hell of a salesman, I know that much. Its just with everything I know about Mitch I can't see him as a Dukie.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 27, 2011 -> 02:52 PM)

If we wants to grow as a player in college at all he'll choose Michigan or Florida. Duke just does not produce big men. Still think he should have given UConn more thought

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 28, 2011 -> 08:08 AM)
If we wants to grow as a player in college at all he'll choose Michigan or Florida. Duke just does not produce big men. Still think he should have given UConn more thought

Honestly I don't get that impression from him. This is a kid who almost failed out of high school as a sophomore.

From what I heard, UCONN and Maryland weren't even options for him as of about 2 months ago. It wasn't by choice though... They were contacting him more than they were allowed to and supposedly giving him some freebies they shouldn't have been...

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 28, 2011 -> 08:08 AM)

What big men does Michigan produce? If he wants to win he would go to Duke or Florida, UM was just happy to be in the tourney. As of right now UCONN isnt going to be eligible to play in the 2013 tourney due to academics so thats not a good choice either.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 28, 2011 -> 11:57 AM)
What big men does Michigan produce? If he wants to win he would go to Duke or Florida, UM was just happy to be in the tourney. As of right now UCONN isnt going to be eligible to play in the 2013 tourney due to academics so thats not a good choice either.

McGary isn't a back to the basket center. He'd fit well up at Michigan with his game.