2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 28, 2011 -> 12:03 PM)
McGary isn't a back to the basket center. He'd fit well up at Michigan with his game.

UM is the one school that doesnt fit in the conversation though. Florida has produced some NBA players lately and won national titles. Duke is a perennial powerhouse that wins and produces every year. Michigan-just happy to make the big dance. They are also nowhere to be found on the top 25 recruiting list. It just doesnt compute with me if he is truly a top player in the country why Michigan would be the favorite for him to flourish. Is there something I am missing?

Also, ESPN finally put up the Big Ten preview on their CBB page including blue ribbon analysis. I really hope Hummel makes it through this year without tearing his knee up again.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 28, 2011 -> 12:14 PM)
UM is the one school that doesnt fit in the conversation though. Florida has produced some NBA players lately and won national titles. Duke is a perennial powerhouse that wins and produces every year. Michigan-just happy to make the big dance. They are also nowhere to be found on the top 25 recruiting list. It just doesnt compute with me if he is truly a top player in the country why Michigan would be the favorite for him to flourish. Is there something I am missing?

Also, ESPN finally put up the Big Ten preview on their CBB page including blue ribbon analysis. I really hope Hummel makes it through this year without tearing his knee up again.

McGary could go to Manchester College and still be a first round pick next year. The biggest thing is he is buddies with someone going there next year. Glenn Robinson III and him have played in the same leagues and tournaments forever.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 28, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)
McGary could go to Manchester College and still be a first round pick next year. The biggest thing is he is buddies with someone going there next year. Glenn Robinson III and him have played in the same leagues and tournaments forever.

Ah, that makes sense then, I must have missed that above. I guess if I was a top player at my position I would want to go to a school that is going to win so I can showcase my talents late in the year.

Just wondering why the obscure reference to Manchester College? My parents went there.

I think the Big Ten is going to be interesting this year. Lots and lots of questions for a pretty mediocre conference. Ohio State is clearly ahead of everyone else. Wisconsin will be solid again. Michigan State is a wild card, same with Illinois. Not really sold on Michigan. I felt like a lot of the big games they won last year came at the perfect time. Purdue is going to depend on Hummel's health, though I wonder how good that team can be with him as their best player. He doesn't have JJ and EM to spell him from bad stretches. The rest of the conference is pretty meh.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 28, 2011 -> 01:22 PM)
I think the Big Ten is going to be interesting this year. Lots and lots of questions for a pretty mediocre conference. Ohio State is clearly ahead of everyone else. Wisconsin will be solid again. Michigan State is a wild card, same with Illinois. Not really sold on Michigan. I felt like a lot of the big games they won last year came at the perfect time. Purdue is going to depend on Hummel's health, though I wonder how good that team can be with him as their best player. He doesn't have JJ and EM to spell him from bad stretches. The rest of the conference is pretty meh.

You could virtually pull names out of a hat and have as good a chance of predicting the final standings as you would be legitimately predicting them. OSU is clearly #1, Penn State is clearly #12, everything else is a guessing game.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 28, 2011 -> 07:10 AM)
Honestly I don't get that impression from him. This is a kid who almost failed out of high school as a sophomore.

He's made a heck of a recovery then, because Michigan, Florida and Duke aren't low level educational institutions.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 30, 2011 -> 05:55 PM)
So happy that Mizzou is getting an early start to exhibition season with no NBA. This is my first viewing of basketball this season at any level and I'm pretty excited to have it back.

Ya, it's nice to have college hoops back. SIU apparently didn't look as awful as most people are expecting us to be in our exhibition yesterday. Maybe we'll finish 8th in the league instead of 9th or 10th. :headbang

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 01:00 PM)
Ya, it's nice to have college hoops back. SIU apparently didn't look as awful as most people are expecting us to be in our exhibition yesterday. Maybe we'll finish 8th in the league instead of 9th or 10th. :headbang

Lowery hasnt revved up the bus yet, he has so many new guys to throw under it. Except for his cousin, who is academically ineligible. Such a great way to represent the family

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 04:15 PM)
Unfortunately it's only being streamed on some subscriber plan. No thanks. I'll watch the youtube highlights.

Excited that basketball is finally starting though.

Seriously? WTF. Why isnt BTN carrying it?

They better carry my game on 11-11

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 02:21 PM)
Lowery hasnt revved up the bus yet, he has so many new guys to throw under it. Except for his cousin, who is academically ineligible. Such a great way to represent the family

Hope KBS stays ineligible. He maybe the worst guard I have ever seen at SIU.

I'm interested in how Dillard will do at Dayton and Booker at Iowa State. Dillard probably already is leading the conference in turnovers and Booker has fouled out of 3 games.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 04:19 PM)
Hope KBS stays ineligible. He maybe the worst guard I have ever seen at SIU.

I'm interested in how Dillard will do at Dayton and Booker at Iowa State. Dillard probably already is leading the conference in turnovers and Booker has fouled out of 3 games.

I think you'll be surprised at how both of them do under real tutelage, both of those guys have talent though both of them were headcases at SIU. Don't forget Brandon Wood after dominating at Valpo is now at MSU.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 07:12 PM)
I think you'll be surprised at how both of them do under real tutelage, both of those guys have talent though both of them were headcases at SIU. Don't forget Brandon Wood after dominating at Valpo is now at MSU.

I'm trying to forget about Wood and what he has done. Although 3 programs in 4 years raises some flags.