2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 10:32 PM)
EDIT: There's also some weird tournament where Notre Dame and Missouri host teams for the first two rounds, and then apparently advance to play each other in the semifinals even if they don't both win these first two rounds.

All the preseason tournies protect their main draws (see Mississippi State losing last week and still heading to New York for the CVC championship round), except the NCAA run NIT. You'll occasionally see a mid-major sneak its way to New York. St. Mary's did it a few years back. Here's the bracket this year: http://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/fi...poffbracket.pdf

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 03:24 PM)
With the NBA season dead, it's time to dive head first into NCAA basketball for the first time in my life instead of ignoring it until late February.

Welcome to the party, please wipe your feet at the door. Beer's in the fridge.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 03:46 PM)
Well at least we still have that. I know it has been 30 years since they beat someone who mattered, but I still love seeing them in it.

We can debate the definition of mattering, but they did beat Oklahoma last year.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 06:56 PM)
Welcome to the party, please wipe your feet at the door. Beer's in the fridge.

Enjoy it.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 12:09 PM)
So........Iowa State is 2.5 point favorites at Drake tonight. If you're a sports better, that's gotta be an intriguing line.

ISU beat Drake in Ames by 48 last year, and won in Des Moines by 20 two years ago.

Is Drake maybe looking better than their usual selves? I don't know anything about their team, but maybe they are seen as being tougher this year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 01:02 PM)
Is Drake maybe looking better than their usual selves? I don't know anything about their team, but maybe they are seen as being tougher this year.

Drake lost to Quincy in an exhibition and just beat Upper Iowa by like 18.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 01:22 PM)
Drake lost to Quincy in an exhibition and just beat Upper Iowa by like 18.

Then yeah, I'd bet the house on ISU. Not that Iowa State looks all that great yet, seems like they are still figuring each other out. But that's why you plan teams like Lehigh and Drake early on.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 02:09 PM)
Then yeah, I'd bet the house on ISU. Not that Iowa State looks all that great yet, seems like they are still figuring each other out. But that's why you plan teams like Lehigh and Drake early on.

Sheridan's odds have the line down to 1.5

I don't get it.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 03:51 PM)
Hey, MVC people: How good is Evansville? IU plays them tomorrow night at the Ford Center (brand new arena). I'm assuming they'll be better than Stony Brook and Chattanooga, but not sure how much better.

They're quite average, I don't really have a better way to put it. Colt Ryan is a really good player, after that, there isn't too much I'd worry about as an IU fan. UE can probably keep it decently close in the 1st half with IU pulling away in the 2nd.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 04:52 PM)
Evansville beat Butler I think. Not that Butler will be all too great this year.

They did, in a crazy OT game. And ya, if we learned anything from last year, give Brad Stevens some time and Butler can be dangerous, but right now they're not too good at all.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 05:54 PM)
They did, in a crazy OT game. And ya, if we learned anything from last year, give Brad Stevens some time and Butler can be dangerous, but right now they're not too good at all.

They also did it with the help of some of the worst calls I've ever seen.