2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 08:40 PM)
Hey ESPN, thanks for putting coach K on every one of your channels I wasnt watching an actual game that I cared about or anything.

I said the same thing. It was already on ESPN, you didn't need to interrupt ESPN2 and ESPNNews with it.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 16, 2011 -> 12:06 AM)
LOL Heads this was the first and last time I listen to you on betting advice. General rule in Vegas is if you think you're missing something, you probably are.

I was thinking this last night every time I looked at the score... I guess they knew something I didn't. Which is weird, because... its friggin Drake.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 16, 2011 -> 12:06 AM)
LOL Heads this was the first and last time I listen to you on betting advice. General rule in Vegas is if you think you're missing something, you probably are.

I'm still not sure what I was missing though. There was absolutely nothing that said Drake should have covered, much less won. \

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 01:33 PM)
they shouldn't release team rankings until january. Mizzou, by beating SEMO and some school i've never heard of, are now a top 25 team. Vandy, by losing to cleveland state, drop 13 spots. They are meaningless.

Well, they probably are a top 25 team.

We'll see, I hope so. But this was a team built for Mike Anderson's gimmick now under a new coach, in its first year. It's an awkward time for the team. They are experienced, no doubt, but the only real positive i see for them is a terribly weak Big 12.

Looks like another one of those years for Northwestern. They hit pretty much every line on their checklist against major conference opponents.

Scoring drought that lasts over 5 minutes? Check.

Awful half where they rely too heavily on the three and trail by double digits? Check.

End up hitting double-digit 3's at a high 30's/low 40's clip anyways? Check.

Get destroyed inside? Double check (LSU's frontcourt was 15-19 from the floor).

Lead by 9 with less than 10 minutes left only to let it come down to the last few possessions? Check.

Shurna is a stud, the jury is still out on the rest of the team. Crawford was invisible in the first half but finished with 17-9. Everyone else did just enough.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 12:47 PM)
We'll see, I hope so. But this was a team built for Mike Anderson's gimmick now under a new coach, in its first year. It's an awkward time for the team. They are experienced, no doubt, but the only real positive i see for them is a terribly weak Big 12.

I thought even with a new coach they could be a top 15 team until Bowers went out. They were already thin in the front court before that plus he's their best player in the first place. I'm 50/50 they make the tourney.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 04:34 PM)
That was a fun game. Lsu looks awfully coached.

They certainly didn't handle the zone well. NU went to the 1-3-1 after the first half and the game quickly turned. I'm not really sure why they went man to man to start the game. It was blatantly obvious that LSU was way more athletic but not terribly skilled.

Caught my first Illinois game of the year last night. Could be a long season. Tons of athletes on the floor, but none are very polished. Richardson/Paul are going to be what they've always been - good but not great. Neither have the killer instinct to take over a game. In fact that's the biggest problem with this team - there's no go-to guy when they need to score. I can see why people are so excited about Leonard's potential, but as expected, he needs to stay out of foul trouble. Nice to see he's worked on some post moves though. Egwu might end up being one of the best players that Weber has brought into the program. The guy's played about 2-3 years of organized basketball and he looks like a high major recruit that's been scouted since he was a freshman. Still makes mistakes, and doesn't protect the ball as well as he should, but man he's just got good basketball instincts.

I think they'll put it together and make it to the tournament. Next year assuming everyone progresses I think they've got a real shot at being at the top of the league again.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 09:17 AM)
I think they'll put it together and make it to the tournament. Next year assuming everyone progresses I think they've got a real shot at being at the top of the league again.

I hope this analysis is correct, but not keeping my hopes up just yet.