2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-18/o...lane-crash.html

Oklahoma State University woman’s basketball coach Kurt Budke and assistant Miranda Serna died last night in a plane crash in Perry County, Arkansas, the second fatal plane crash for the university’s basketball programs in the past 11 years.

Budke, 50, and Serna were on a recruiting trip to Arkansas, the university’s athletics department said in an e-mailed statement. Two others not affiliated with the school, including a pilot, were killed, and there were no survivors, according to the release.

“The Oklahoma State family is devastated by this tragedy,” university President Burns Hargis said in the statement. “Our hearts and prayers go out to the families of Kurt Budke, Miranda Serna and the other victims.”

On Jan. 27, 2001, following a game against the University of Colorado, a plane crash killed 10 men associated with the Oklahoma State men’s basketball program, including players Daniel Lawson and Nate Fleming. A memorial to the victims sits inside the lobby at the team’s Gallagher-Iba Arena.

Budke was in his seventh season at Oklahoma State, where he was 112-83. During the 2009-10 season he led the Cowgirls to the school’s first-ever top-10 national ranking, according to the release. He is survived by his wife, Shelley, and three children.

Serna, the program’s recruiting coordinator, was also in her seventh season as an assistant coach at the Stillwater, Oklahoma, school. She worked in the same capacity under Budke at Louisiana Tech University before coming to Stillwater.

“Kurt Budke was an incredibly positive influence on his players and was a tremendous coach,” university Vice President for Athletics Mike Holder said. “He quickly turned our program around and put Cowgirl basketball on the map. Miranda was a tireless worker and great recruiter.”

The university has canceled the team’s games for Nov. 19 and Nov. 20, according to the release. Jim Littell, the team’s associate head coach, has been named interim coach.

To contact the reporter on this story: Eben Novy-Williams in New York at [email protected]

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Michael Sillup at [email protected]

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 09:37 PM)
Did Northwestern really just win a basketball tournament? Holy crap.

Hey, they beat ISU and ND in that tournament at the Sears' Center a few years ago too. :P

Crawford looked awesome, that makes me feel better. The centers still suck, though Mirkovic's post moves look a little better. Hopefully one or more of the guards step up to be a consistent 3rd option instead of points by committee outside of their two stud forwards.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 10:49 PM)
Crawford looked awesome, that makes me feel better. The centers still suck, though Mirkovic's post moves look a little better. Hopefully one or more of the guards step up to be a consistent 3rd option instead of points by committee outside of their two stud forwards.

They have 3 guys capable of rebounding at a halfway decent rate though (Shurna, Mirkovic, Curletti). That's new to me. They're not getting any offense out of either of the centers and will still get torched inside by a good big man (like tonight), but they're a little bit deeper. They do need a third scorer, but they have some depth at guard as well. Also, I've been really impressed with how invisible Sobolewski has been. I know that's a backhanded compliment, but he's a freshman point guard that really doesn't make many mental mistakes.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 01:19 AM)
They have 3 guys capable of rebounding at a halfway decent rate though (Shurna, Mirkovic, Curletti). That's new to me. They're not getting any offense out of either of the centers and will still get torched inside by a good big man (like tonight), but they're a little bit deeper. They do need a third scorer, but they have some depth at guard as well. Also, I've been really impressed with how invisible Sobolewski has been. I know that's a backhanded compliment, but he's a freshman point guard that really doesn't make many mental mistakes.

Meh, Luka and Curletti are combining for just over 3 rebounds per game so far. Their third leading rebounder so far is actually Sobolewski. Luckily for them Shurna and Crawford are both giving them 6 boards a piece. They do have some depth on the perimeter, but their guards haven't been great and they really only have 2.5 big men (Shurna is a combo forward).

Their centers are what they are at this point (Luka might give you a few baskets but is slow and floor-bound, Curletti is quicker but has no skills), so I'd really like to see more consistency from the guards. I can't see them being consistently successful if they have to have 40+ from their two studs.

I'm actually reasonably happy with Sobolewski so far (at about 8 PPG and 40% from the floor and 3 in Charleston, decent ball-handling), I'm mainly looking at Marcotullio and Cobb. I'm hoping that they're just starting slow due to injuries and that they can get closer to 8 PPG on average, because some nights they'll need 40 points from their non-Shurna/Crawford players given their frequent defensive issues.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 10:49 AM)
Meh, Luka and Curletti are combining for just over 3 rebounds per game so far. Their third leading rebounder so far is actually Sobolewski. Luckily for them Shurna and Crawford are both giving them 6 boards a piece. They do have some depth on the perimeter, but their guards haven't been great and they really only have 2.5 big men (Shurna is a combo forward).

Their centers are what they are at this point (Luka might give you a few baskets but is slow and floor-bound, Curletti is quicker but has no skills), so I'd really like to see more consistency from the guards. I can't see them being consistently successful if they have to have 40+ from their two studs.

I'm actually reasonably happy with Sobolewski so far (at about 8 PPG and 40% from the floor and 3 in Charleston, decent ball-handling), I'm mainly looking at Marcotullio and Cobb. I'm hoping that they're just starting slow due to injuries and that they can get closer to 8 PPG on average, because some nights they'll need 40 points from their non-Shurna/Crawford players given their frequent defensive issues.

That's pretty much it though. They actually have guys you can expect to put up better numbers off the bench. And when was the last time you remember NU having 2.5 big men? That was my point.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 05:32 PM)
Memphis is not a top ten team. They looked lost against the Michigan zone today. Only thing that will keep them in the top 20 is Conference USA.

Eh, they have a lot of talent. They're a team that could get bounced early or make a deep run into March, neither would surprise me.

Syracuse cops, DA in clash over records

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Onondaga County District Attorney William Fitzpatrick says Syracuse police are resisting his office's attempts to obtain records in the investigation of Syracuse University assistant basketball coach Bernie Fine.

Fitzpatrick said he had to get a court subpoena Monday ordering police to turn over records. But he said that when the subpoena was served to the deputy chief, it was greeted with an obscenity.

"I've never seen this happen in my history with the DA's office," Fitzpatrick told the Syracuse Post-Standard of the refusal to share records.

ESPN reported last week the claims of two former ball boys that they were molested for years by Fine.

Sounds le the police have been covering something up.

Finally got around to watching the OSU game from last night. Lenzelle either grew a few inches or seriously hit the weights, he doesnt look like the same player that he was last season.

And LaQuinton Ross is back in C-Bus working out for a Dec return, he is by far the best recruit for this freshman class, glad to get him on the court finally.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)
Finally got around to watching the OSU game from last night. Lenzelle either grew a few inches or seriously hit the weights, he doesnt look like the same player that he was last season.

Am I reading right that he is right behind Sullinger in team rebounding statistically? I know it's a small sample but still. That was the thing that stood out about him in high school. Nobody could box him out.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 06:02 PM)
Am I reading right that he is right behind Sullinger in team rebounding statistically? I know it's a small sample but still. That was the thing that stood out about him in high school. Nobody could box him out.

He has incredible quickness and leaping ability. I didnt see any of that last season, in fact he looked like a little pudgy guard. Now he looks like a left handed David Lighty.

Tennessee's Jeronne Maymon had a monster game against Memphis today. 34 pts, 20 reb. First 30/20 game in college basketball since Blake Griffin in '09... Too bad we just couldn't pull it out in double OT. Had our chances.