2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cannot wait to utterly destroy ISU tomorrow. What a joke of a tournament. Good thing Illinois is upping its preseason tourney stature by going to Maui next year. We need to avoid the Las Vegas Invite/Cancun Challenge/Chicago Invite/South Padre Whatever because they are all terribly run. Weber is boys with the promoter though, so I doubt it stops.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 10:07 PM)
Cannot wait to utterly destroy ISU tomorrow. What a joke of a tournament. Good thing Illinois is upping its preseason tourney stature by going to Maui next year. We need to avoid the Las Vegas Invite/Cancun Challenge/Chicago Invite/South Padre Whatever because they are all terribly run. Weber is boys with the promoter though, so I doubt it stops.

After last year's UIC game, I will never be that confident. Last time they played I think the game went to OT.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 10:38 PM)
Is the Illini game available online to watch anywhere? I am in Cali now so it's definitely not on TV anywhere here

It's on CBS Sports Network which is a national broadcast but a bit obscure of a channel.

Edited by kjshoe04

ISU will have a chance if both teams play like they did tonight. Illinois is super sloppy tonight. Don't expect to win or really to be close since were in a down year but will at least be fun. Especially since Weber refuses to play MVC teams outside of tournaments.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 10:59 PM)
I guess someone should have told him that last year.

Because he agreed to play SIU once they became absolute horses***?

I don't blame him. Valley teams are usually tougher wins than other Mid-Majors and don't really gain you much more recognition. It's just a shame that Illinois won't play SIU, Bradley, and ISU because it could be a lot of fun having more in-state games for the fans. It would be a blast to have the Illini at Redbird Arena and vice versa.

Edited by kjshoe04

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 10:46 PM)
ISU will have a chance if both teams play like they did tonight. Illinois is super sloppy tonight. Don't expect to win or really to be close since were in a down year but will at least be fun. Especially since Weber refuses to play MVC teams outside of tournaments.

Like you said, no-win games.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 10:48 PM)
Also, f*** Sam Maniscalco. My least favorite college basketball player ever not named Korver, Koch, or Emmenecker.

He's the man. Maybe he can drop 60 on you tomorrow.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 10:48 PM)
Also, f*** Sam Maniscalco. My least favorite college basketball player ever not named Korver, Koch, or Emmenecker.

Wow...really?!? I love what that dude brings to the table. This team has sorely needed a gritty player like him for a while...well...since Chet. Oh...and btw...Meyers Leonard is gonna be an absolute beast at some point. Not quite there yet...but damn.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 09:14 PM)
Ugh, Illinois is just not good. Where the f*** is Brandon Paul? What a waste. He should just dominate these games and he's a no show on the bench.

Paul hasn't showed up yet...not sure wtf he's waiting for...but as for this team...just have some patience and enjoy the ride. They're very young. Nobody expects much this year but I have to tell ya I'll probably enjoy watching this team more this year than any of them the past 3 years. They're young and hungry. They'll have growing pains for sure...but the arrow is definitely point up for Illinois basketball.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 11:35 PM)
Wow...really?!? I love what that dude brings to the table. This team has sorely needed a gritty player like him for a while...well...since Chet. Oh...and btw...Meyers Leonard is gonna be an absolute beast at some point. Not quite there yet...but damn.

He's a punk. A kind of guy you like on your team but hate on other teams. Since he was on Bradley, yes, I hate the dude. It's all right though. In his four years at Bradley he saw the Braves lose 6 of 8 meetings.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 11:42 PM)
He's a punk. A kind of guy you like on your team but hate on other teams. Since he was on Bradley, yes, I hate the dude. It's all right though. In his four years at Bradley he saw the Braves lose 6 of 8 meetings.

I never watched Bradley...so I don't know. He seems like a good kid basically and a gritty player (grindy). I wish the Illini had him for more than one year.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 11:48 PM)
Watching Maniscalco play >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Watching McCamey play

+1 I'd like to add a few more >>>>'s too.

While I appreciate their contributions and all...I've never been so happy to see a class leave in my life!

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 11:49 PM)
Hooray Mizzou!

My pessimism is jinxing them to be good.

Ha I was discussing this and I can't recall many good teams that lose by 30. Not sure how good Cal is, but hard to say Mizzou can play any better. They beat Nova at the Garden in 2 weeks and I'll start believing big.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 11:53 PM)
+1 I'd like to add a few more >>>>'s too.

While I appreciate their contributions and all...I've never been so happy to see a class leave in my life!

Agreed. This team isn't very good, but they're young. Hopefully Abrams can learn the PG position since Sam is basically the only guy that can run the "offense." Though at this point there is no offense. Get the ball to Leonard or iso a guy and try to find an open shooter is the only offense they ran.

Still, I think at the end of the year that'll end up being a quality win. Richmond's list of wins against top D1 schools the last 2 years is pretty impressive, and they really never threatened to take that game last night. Seems like that was the kind of game that previous Illinois teams would lose (see Univ of Chicago last year).

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 05:55 AM)
Ha I was discussing this and I can't recall many good teams that lose by 30. Not sure how good Cal is, but hard to say Mizzou can play any better. They beat Nova at the Garden in 2 weeks and I'll start believing big.

Even so, they had to have some talent if they were ranked 18, even if they don't put it together. I really wasn't going to get hyped up for Haith's first season, even though I was not as upset as some by his hiring. I think Miami is a black hole for bball. And I probably put too much in the loss of Bowers, and not enough in the incredible play we will get out of English, Denmon and P Pressey. Denmon's efficiency to go with English's leadership and pressey's great D right now are an group. I'm excited to catch a game. This team appears to be much more efficient on offense than with anderson.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 10:42 AM)
Even so, they had to have some talent if they were ranked 18, even if they don't put it together. I really wasn't going to get hyped up for Haith's first season, even though I was not as upset as some by his hiring. I think Miami is a black hole for bball. And I probably put too much in the loss of Bowers, and not enough in the incredible play we will get out of English, Denmon and P Pressey. Denmon's efficiency to go with English's leadership and pressey's great D right now are an group. I'm excited to catch a game. This team appears to be much more efficient on offense than with anderson.

Miami won a Big East regular season title and was on their way to better things before Hamilton left to go to the Wizards.

Haith had a couple of decent seasons at Miami record wise. What got Miami fans not liking Haith was how bad he would be outcoached in any game that came down to the final few minutes. And he was absolutely dreadful at designing a play out of a timeout. I swear the guy couldnt figure out a way to beat the press his entire time at Miami. Just totally clueless. He may look better now that he is supervising more talent but I find it pretty impossible to believe he is now a good coach just because he moved.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 08:42 PM)
Miami won a Big East regular season title and was on their way to better things before Hamilton left to go to the Wizards.

Haith had a couple of decent seasons at Miami record wise. What got Miami fans not liking Haith was how bad he would be outcoached in any game that came down to the final few minutes. And he was absolutely dreadful at designing a play out of a timeout. I swear the guy couldnt figure out a way to beat the press his entire time at Miami. Just totally clueless. He may look better now that he is supervising more talent but I find it pretty impossible to believe he is now a good coach just because he moved.

He has really good assistants at Mizzou. But also it helps to have a home court advantage of some sort.