2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 01:44 PM)
He has really good assistants at Mizzou. But also it helps to have a home court advantage of some sort.

Yeah by all accounts the assistants are very good so that could be a factor in terms of in-game coaching. Then again, we haven't seen a game go down to the final 10 minutes yet.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 09:42 AM)
Even so, they had to have some talent if they were ranked 18, even if they don't put it together. I really wasn't going to get hyped up for Haith's first season, even though I was not as upset as some by his hiring. I think Miami is a black hole for bball. And I probably put too much in the loss of Bowers, and not enough in the incredible play we will get out of English, Denmon and P Pressey. Denmon's efficiency to go with English's leadership and pressey's great D right now are an group. I'm excited to catch a game. This team appears to be much more efficient on offense than with anderson.

Man, my faith in English gets shot after being his lab partner in Geology a few times.

Mizzou lives and dies with Denmon's shot.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 09:40 PM)
Man, my faith in English gets shot after being his lab partner in Geology a few times.

Mizzou lives and dies with Denmon's shot.

Denmon didn't shoot that well yesterday. And English has been an incredible ambassador for the school.

I was really impressed the last few nights with Missouri. Their defense is more disciplined than it was under Anderson. We all know how guard play dominates in college basketball, and Missouri has some good to great guards with Ricardo R. providing easy points in the paint.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)
Denmon didn't shoot that well yesterday. And English has been an incredible ambassador for the school.

English is a really nice guy, when he shows to class, and he's intelligent at times but will say things that are really dumb.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 09:17 PM)
Who's in the Maui next year with Illinois?

A quick google search didn't show a bracket, but the field is...

Butler, Illinois, Marquette, Mississippi State, North Carolina, Texas, USC and obviously Chaminade.

Granted it's insanely early, but that looks like a fairly weak field.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 09:31 PM)
A quick google search didn't show a bracket, but the field is...

Butler, Illinois, Marquette, Mississippi State, North Carolina, Texas, USC and obviously Chaminade.

Granted it's insanely early, but that looks like a fairly weak field.

You've got two teams likely to be ranked in UNC and Texas and a few others with that chance to be (Illinois, Butler, Marquette). I don't see that being that different from this year. Duke and Kansas the top tier with Memphis and Michigan somewhere in the top 25.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 09:39 PM)
You've got two teams likely to be ranked in UNC and Texas and a few others with that chance to be (Illinois, Butler, Marquette). I don't see that being that different from this year. Duke and Kansas the top tier with Memphis and Michigan somewhere in the top 25.

I obviously don't agree. This year you have a legit top-10 team in Duke and three other talented/ranked teams with Kansas, Michigan and Memphis. A lot of people thought UCLA would be decent too, though that isn't going well. I don't see that holding up next year (though again, it's absurdly early so things can change in the next year).

UNC should be good, though how good is up in the air. If the NBA situation is still crappy and Barnes and Henson stay they'll be amazing, if they're gone they're talented but less proven. Texas will have talent, but like Memphis this year it will probably be young and underachieving early.

After that, I don't see a guaranteed ranked team (realistically, Texas might not be). Illinois will be the most talented of the remaining field, we'll see how their young guys develop this year. I haven't seen them yet, but on paper it looks like a crapshoot after Richardson, Leonard and Maniscalo (who will be gone).

Butler has been pretty bad so far, they'd need to pull a guard or two out of their ass. Marquette loses Odom and Crowder, so that'll be an a tough adjustment early in the year. Mississippi State could be like UCLA, talented frontcourt but suspect backcourt. That just leaves USC, who have three losses already, and Chaminade.

At least to me, it looks like UNC's to lose. Texas could beat them if they play well, maybe Illinois if some guys develop quite a bit.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 11:05 PM)
I obviously don't agree. This year you have a legit top-10 team in Duke and three other talented/ranked teams with Kansas, Michigan and Memphis. A lot of people thought UCLA would be decent too, though that isn't going well. I don't see that holding up next year (though again, it's absurdly early so things can change in the next year).

And don't forget Tennessee. They've played two great games and had chances to beat both Duke and Memphis. That team was stupidly picked to finish low in the SEC even though we currently have 6 former Top 75 recruits on the roster and some other solid players. In reality, this is a much better team than people wanted to believe.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (SnB @ Nov 24, 2011 -> 05:37 AM)
no idea where this illini team would be w/o maniscalco

It's amazing to watch how bad Brandon Paul is. Illinois should be getting 14-18 shots a game for Richardson, as he's rebounded from a bad soph year to look good this season so far.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 10:40 PM)
It's amazing to watch how bad Brandon Paul is. Illinois should be getting 14-18 shots a game for Richardson, as he's rebounded from a bad soph year to look good this season so far.

Paul's shooting motion is just horrid. I have no faith in him for anything.

this ending has been ridiculous