2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 11:37 PM)
Yep, Illini are going to struggle in Big Ten play!

I still think it's too early to say. Paul has been pretty awful lately and the record is still 5-0. After the Maryland and Gonzaga games in the next week and a half I think we'll be able to give a better prediction on the season.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 10:50 PM)
What an awful ending by both teams to that game. As an Illini hater, I almost think I need to hope Illinois does well this year so Weber isn't fired.

LOL heck of a statement. It's pretty amazing what has happened to good to great recruits in Richmond and Paul. I thought Paul was a lock to be a solid Big Ten starter, but man he's not there.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 10:40 PM)
It's amazing to watch how bad Brandon Paul is. Illinois should be getting 14-18 shots a game for Richardson, as he's rebounded from a bad soph year to look good this season so far.

The ball should go through Richardson every possession. I dont know why they havent figured that out. Even on pick and rolls with Leonard he should have the ball.

And Lenzelle continues to be awesome for my bucks, what a steal.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 24, 2011 -> 08:53 AM)
I think that was a successful trip for Illinois. Both Richmond and ISU are contenders to win their respective conferences. Could end up being two quality wins at the end of the year.

We were picked 7 out of 10 in the preseason MVC poll. Richmond was picked 12th of 14 in the A10. I do think we will be better than that in the MVC this year though.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 24, 2011 -> 10:36 AM)
ISU has exactly 0 seniors. Next year could be fun.

I watched Aaron Simpson last night score 20 for North Chicago including 2 break away dunks and a weak side block when he pinned the ball against the glass. Ugh

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 10:09 PM)
Iowa loses at home to Campbell by 16, f*** em.

After we lost to Drake, kind of hard to talk a big game right now. Things get tougher the next few games for Freddy's crew, I think the next 3-4 games will give us an idea of how good they are.

Games like that are why I still wonder how NU will do. They gave up WAY too many offensive rebounds, their centers were beyond awful, they took some very goofy shots, and Shurna/Crawford had "only" 32. Add it all up and they barely beat Stony Brook at home.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Nov 26, 2011 -> 11:36 PM)
Every so often I forget how bad of an in-game coach Roy Williams is, and then games like tonight happen. :ph34r:

In fairness, UNLV just went bombs away from downtown. Hard to beat a team that chucks up over 30 3s and a 40%+ rate.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 26, 2011 -> 11:47 PM)
In fairness, UNLV just went bombs away from downtown. Hard to beat a team that chucks up over 30 3s and a 40%+ rate.

Unfortunately that's Roy's coaching style. He coaches to give help on the dribble-drive everytime and leave the wide open kick-out 3. Teams usually end up with 10+ three's in a game against UNC. Roy is an elite recruiter and has a good style, but coaches like K can coach circles around him on gamedays.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 27, 2011 -> 02:18 PM)
The Bernie Fine case just got taken up another notch with his wife being recorded absolutely admitting to everything he's done.

Boeheim basically put his job on the line defending Fine. I can't see anyway Syracuse people don't start getting fired over this.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 27, 2011 -> 09:18 AM)
The Bernie Fine case just got taken up another notch with his wife being recorded absolutely admitting to everything he's done.

That Outside the Lines report on ESPN.com with the wife admitting to it was worth the read. Especially the part where the guy who was molested had a relationship with the wife when he was 18. Bizarre.

I was kinda on sketchy if these allegations were true based until I read how the Secret Service was getting involved the other day. Now this comes out. Wow...

Iowa State beats Providence, then Rice, away from Hilton, handily on consecutive days. Not exactly a huge accomplishment, but that loss to Drake had me worried it was going to get ugly. I said last week, the 4 game stretch in front of ISU will tell you if the Drake loss was a fluke, or an indicator of a very weak team. So far, 2-0. As long as they beat UNI, and at least stay in the game against Michigan, then I'll feel decent about this team developing over the season and maybe, just maybe, being in the discussion for a tournament at the end of the year. With the talent they have, that should be their goal. There will be inconsistency as they get to know each other and a new coach.

After that, the remaining non-conf schedule is mostly very easy (Prairie View A&M, Iowa, Central Michigan, Lipscomb, and Mississippi Valley State). Iowa is a legit game, the rest of those should be no contest. I've never even heard of Lipscomb.

If they beat the remaining teams except Michigan, they hit the Big 12 season at 11-2. They have to play 18 Big 12 games this year, and would need to win at least half of them to even have a chance to be a bubble team for the NCAA. Even at 20-11 / 9-9, they probably don't get in. 21-10 / 10-8 makes it more likely. Makes the loss @ Drake really hurt.

Long view, I figured pre-season this team has the talent to be in the discussion for a tourney bid, but probably next season is their real goal for getting the program back to where it was.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 27, 2011 -> 11:55 AM)
Iowa State beats Providence, then Rice, away from Hilton, handily on consecutive days. Not exactly a huge accomplishment, but that loss to Drake had me worried it was going to get ugly. I said last week, the 4 game stretch in front of ISU will tell you if the Drake loss was a fluke, or an indicator of a very weak team. So far, 2-0. As long as they beat UNI, and at least stay in the game against Michigan, then I'll feel decent about this team developing over the season and maybe, just maybe, being in the discussion for a tournament at the end of the year. With the talent they have, that should be their goal. There will be inconsistency as they get to know each other and a new coach.

After that, the remaining non-conf schedule is mostly very easy (Prairie View A&M, Iowa, Central Michigan, Lipscomb, and Mississippi Valley State). Iowa is a legit game, the rest of those should be no contest. I've never even heard of Lipscomb.

If they beat the remaining teams except Michigan, they hit the Big 12 season at 11-2. They have to play 18 Big 12 games this year, and would need to win at least half of them to even have a chance to be a bubble team for the NCAA. Even at 20-11 / 9-9, they probably don't get in. 21-10 / 10-8 makes it more likely. Makes the loss @ Drake really hurt.

Long view, I figured pre-season this team has the talent to be in the discussion for a tourney bid, but probably next season is their real goal for getting the program back to where it was.

They are playing a lot better lately, especially on defense. Chris Allen being healthy helps. They still really miss a point guard. Tyrus McGee is starting to take more of Scott Christopherson's minutes.

IU finally remembered how to shoot with about 14 minutes left in the game. Really impressed with their defense again (and Butler's too, at times). Zeller was quiet early, but once he started asserting himself he played well. Sheehey played really well all game, and Watford was a non-factor.

There were more bodies on the floor than any game I've ever seen, though.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Nov 27, 2011 -> 08:21 PM)
IU finally remembered how to shoot with about 14 minutes left in the game. Really impressed with their defense again (and Butler's too, at times). Zeller was quiet early, but once he started asserting himself he played well. Sheehey played really well all game, and Watford was a non-factor.

I said the same exact thing about the bodies on the floor. Butler just has a way of making you play ugly. I'm looking forward to seeing more from Sheehey. I hope to see some shot fakes and driving to the basket and finishing strong. He is athletic and strong enough to do so. If he keeps hitting shots from outside that will open up many more possibilities for him.

Verdell and Watford weren't very good tonight. Watford if things don'/t go well for him early tends to disappear or force things, which means turnovers. But if he gets in a rhythm early, he can be a big part of the team's success this year.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Nov 27, 2011 -> 09:21 PM)

Defense and intensity by both teams last night was incredible to see. Crean said IU had 74 deflections, the most he's ever had as a HC or assistant. Defense is night and day from last year. To the people who say Crean can't develop, Sheehey, Oladipo, Hulls, and a few others would strongly disagree.