2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

He's still good friends with Paul though, if that means anything. About the only good thing you can say right now is that's he's not trying to leave on bad terms with the program itself.

I still think a team would be stupid to take a chance on him in the late first round, even in a weak draft and potential lock-out year.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 10:15 PM)
I'm still thankful that Ahmad Starks hit that ridiculous shot in order to knock out Richmond from the state tourney.

I understand what you're saying but that Waukegan team had other good kids and hard workers I felt bad for and had to put up with Richmond for 3 years.

People forget about Starks making the shot because of Richmonds postering of Thompson, which was still an awful charge call.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 03:18 PM)
Iowa signs a convicted felon who spent over 3 years in jail.

Ehh I like to rip Iowa as much as the next guy, but they're far from the only school that would take a chance on somebody like that if they felt such a player was talented enough. Hopefully, he can keep out of trouble.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 07:35 PM)
Ehh I like to rip Iowa as much as the next guy, but they're far from the only school that would take a chance on somebody like that if they felt such a player was talented enough. Hopefully, he can keep out of trouble.

I think a lot of schools would steer clear of someone who spent 3 years in jail.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 08:34 PM)
I think a lot of schools would steer clear of someone who spent 3 years in jail.

As someone who has done an internship in a prison this semester, a lot of guys there are decent people and I think deserve a 2nd chance.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 25, 2011 -> 09:10 PM)
It's a bit of the pot calling the kettle black is all. It's just ironic an ISU fan is the first person to jump on that.

Sort of agree, but really, there is a difference between players that were bad teammates or were immature, and guys who spent 3 years in jail for a felony.

Nice name:

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/ncb/news/story?id=6443546

God's Gift Achiuwa -- a 6-foot-9 power forward and first-team juco All-American from Erie (N.Y.) Community College -- is the ninth player to commit to the Red Storm for next season. St. John's has the No. 3-ranked recruiting class, according to ESPN Insider's top 25.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 28, 2011 -> 06:13 PM)

St John's might actually be taking on too much talent here. They're going to be young and if they don't buy into the team concept it could backfire. Either way, as a Big East guy, it's nice to see them relevant again.

Iowa has actually put together a quality recruiting class in there own right. But man, I remember for years thinking someone should hire Lavin (guy can recruit) and St. John's finally does and he's done a nice job there.

It amazed me how long he was without a job since his stint at UCLA.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 11:31 AM)
Iowa has actually put together a quality recruiting class in there own right. But man, I remember for years thinking someone should hire Lavin (guy can recruit) and St. John's finally does and he's done a nice job there.

It amazed me how long he was without a job since his stint at UCLA.

Did Lavin get in trouble out there?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 09:53 AM)
Did Lavin get in trouble out there?

Not at all. He was hated there by the fans. Team consistently underachived (made something like 5 straight sweet 16's and than the sixth year they didn't make it and was axed). He always had talent but his problem was that he wasn't quite seasoned enough yet as a coach to coach up that talent. I think the time away helped him. Plus, UCLA is just a tough, high pressure gig.