2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 11, 2011 -> 01:08 PM)
Isn't that the formula for beating a #1 EVERY year? Unless you mean something like another top 5 team vs. #1, any upset against a #1, especially by an unranked team, is going to involve a lot of 3s and a lot of luck.

To be honest, it sounds like you always want the best team to win. That's not how it works. No one's denying Kentucky is leaps and bounds a better team than IU, but that doesn't mean that IU can't beat them some nights, like yesterday.

It is the way to pull an upset. I just don't like watching teams rely on 3s to win big games. It's not good basketball.

The problem is we have to hear about how improved IU is when in reality they're still a bubble team. Except now they're a bubble team that got a huge resume boost. Their guards are mediocre and they're unable to get their best player involved at this stage in the season, which will result in a couple bad losses as we move on.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 11, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)
It is the way to pull an upset. I just don't like watching teams rely on 3s to win big games. It's not good basketball.

The problem is we have to hear about how improved IU is when in reality they're still a bubble team. Except now they're a bubble team that got a huge resume boost. Their guards are mediocre and they're unable to get their best player involved at this stage in the season, which will result in a couple bad losses as we move on.

I will take a bubble team with a huge resume boost, if, even on a day that takes a lot of luck, that bubble team can knock off a #1 seed.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 09:27 AM)
I don't care what the experts keep saying, I thought NCAA basketball was much better when Indiana was bad.

It doesn't really matter when a powerhouse is down, another school will step up in it's place. Schools like UConn and Ohio State have stepped up when Indiana and UCLA have been down. Arizona hasn't been the same since Lute retired, but Kentucky and Louisville have both stepped back to prominence. Arizona is on the way back to being a major program because of some insane recruiting classes. IU is following Arizona's path back to prominence with recruiting. I think we are about to be in a golden age for powerhouse programs being near the top of basketball. UCLA seems to be the only hopeless program at the moment, and they are just a good hire away from being back.

It was interesting how the game played out. As one poster in the thread said earlier "the refs let them play". While that is mostly true, it didn't seem all that true in regards to Anthony Davis. If he's able to play 30+ minutes the game wouldn't have been all that close.

Also interesting is that Kentucky and Indiana shot the same amount of FTs. This is taking into account the fact that UK was up late and got 4 FTs because IU had to foul. I saw a lot of no calls on Kentucky's end that were resulting in FTs on Indiana's end. Especially early on.

With that being said, Terrence Jones cost Kentucky this game. I mean, was the guy shaving points? How does a player of that caliber put up a line of 4 points, 1 rebound, and 6 turnovers? Dude had Will Sheehey on him during points of the game. Doron Lamb missing FTs, Anthony Davis missing the front end of a 1 and 1 late (why did he have the ball?!), and Terrence Jones having, what I expect will be, the worst game of his career. And still Indiana had to shoot 60% from 3 and hit a buzzer beater (while Kentucky was trying to foul in backcourt, but no call) to win.

It was a really huge win for Indiana. Congrats on that. But it might be a bit early to proclaim that "IU is back".

QUOTE (Boogua @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
It was a really huge win for Indiana. Congrats on that. But it might be a bit early to proclaim that "IU is back".

It's been what, 4 years, since Indiana could look a ranked team in the eye in its own arena and say "We have a chance to beat this team".

That is now true. They may need a lot of lucky shots to fall, but this is a huge step up from the last couple years.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 11, 2011 -> 03:00 PM)

That 3 was exactly what I would have called for as well. It was a thing of beauty. They probably will get beat up a bit in conference play, but with that said, they have enough of a home court advantage and a budding superstar to do some damage along the way. With the talent they bring in next year they will be very dangerous. The Big Ten is really looking tough moving forward.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 10:37 AM)
That 3 was exactly what I would have called for as well. It was a thing of beauty. They probably will get beat up a bit in conference play, but with that said, they have enough of a home court advantage and a budding superstar to do some damage along the way. With the talent they bring in next year they will be very dangerous. The Big Ten is really looking tough moving forward.

This.

What I like the most is that there's no one game (except for possibly at Ohio St) you can look at and say "IU has no chance." That's not saying IU will go undefeated (ha!), I just mean you can't look at the schedule and pick out several games they'll lose for sure, which has been the case the past few years. We'll be competitive, which is leaps and bounds better than it has been.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 05:18 PM)
Ohhhh Sullinger was out. I was at a bar with it on. Kansas was still getting inside and getting good shots in the paint pretty easily though. Which worries me.

I was actually only being half-serious, they have plenty of talent eve without him, but they played like a team full of frosh and sophs. Getting the #1 recruit back on the team last week is going to help alot on the offensive end. OSU is going to be a much different team come tournament time than they are now.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
It was interesting how the game played out. As one poster in the thread said earlier "the refs let them play". While that is mostly true, it didn't seem all that true in regards to Anthony Davis. If he's able to play 30+ minutes the game wouldn't have been all that close.

Also interesting is that Kentucky and Indiana shot the same amount of FTs. This is taking into account the fact that UK was up late and got 4 FTs because IU had to foul. I saw a lot of no calls on Kentucky's end that were resulting in FTs on Indiana's end. Especially early on.

With that being said, Terrence Jones cost Kentucky this game. I mean, was the guy shaving points? How does a player of that caliber put up a line of 4 points, 1 rebound, and 6 turnovers? Dude had Will Sheehey on him during points of the game. Doron Lamb missing FTs, Anthony Davis missing the front end of a 1 and 1 late (why did he have the ball?!), and Terrence Jones having, what I expect will be, the worst game of his career. And still Indiana had to shoot 60% from 3 and hit a buzzer beater (while Kentucky was trying to foul in backcourt, but no call) to win.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 11:21 AM)
It's been what, 4 years, since Indiana could look a ranked team in the eye in its own arena and say "We have a chance to beat this team".

That is now true. They may need a lot of lucky shots to fall, but this is a huge step up from the last couple years.

Exactly. There isn't one game on the schedule that is a "guaranteed loss" like we have had the past 3 years. We have a stud player (Zeller), a clutch/nails leader (Hulls), a heck of a 2nd scoring option (Watford), and one of the most improved players in the conference (Oladipo). We have the athletes to compete now, and while IU may now be "overrated", they have all the confidence in the world. Add in a top 3 recruiting class next year, suddenly they are title contenders once again.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 07:56 PM)
Anyone watching ESPN? I tuned in to watch (hopeful) OSU recruit Tony Parker and have been amazed by the level of talent on the court. Its a whole different level of competition than we are used to seeing for sure.

Followed by another high school game that is really bad. These teams look like mediocre high school teams so far.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 10:15 AM)

The refs had nothing to do with Anthony Davis biting on a head fake and landing on top of Zeller inside, nor did they cause Davis to foul Verdell Jones on a 3-point attempt. At minimum two of his four fouls were stupid plays by him so not sure how the refs had much effect on Davis not playing 30+ minutes. It appeared to me that Anthony Davis had quite a bit to do with that.

I haven't gone back and read every quote, but I don't think anyone is saying that Indiana is back in terms of being a top 5 or 10 team. But stating that they are back in terms of no longer being a doormat or an automatic win is pretty accurate. Will they have their bad nights? Probably so. But I don't see them going 3-15 in the Big Ten this year.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 07:04 PM)
Exactly. There isn't one game on the schedule that is a "guaranteed loss" like we have had the past 3 years. We have a stud player (Zeller), a clutch/nails leader (Hulls), a heck of a 2nd scoring option (Watford), and one of the most improved players in the conference (Oladipo). We have the athletes to compete now, and while IU may now be "overrated", they have all the confidence in the world. Add in a top 3 recruiting class next year, suddenly they are title contenders once again.

I think it's unfair to call Zeller a stud player. Zeller is a good player, even very good depending on how strictly you define the terms. What makes him very good in my mind is he makes others around him better. He has good basketball skills and is talented. He creates steals and can pass. Not flashy attributes, but ones that help the team. He will allow others to shine. But when I think of stud player, I think of someone like Sullinger who is dominant and NBA ready (or damned close). Zeller is far from a one or two and done player. Which makes me happy.

On a separate note, I would have voted OSU number one in the poll this week. Losing to Kansas in Phogg Allen Fieldhouse without your best player is no reason to fall in the polls.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 09:03 PM)
Followed by another high school game that is really bad. These teams look like mediocre high school teams so far.

I take it back. That was a damn good finish. I was surprisingly entertained by the high school ball tonight.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 11:16 PM)
On a separate note, I would have voted OSU number one in the poll this week. Losing to Kansas in Phogg Allen Fieldhouse without your best player is no reason to fall in the polls.

Agreed, but who cares? Basketball has a tournament that doesn't use the polls to seed the teams.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 11:49 AM)
Pretty sure SC hasn't set a legal screen all game.

And it looks like Sully broke his foot. Awesome.

Supposedly a bone bruise, though I wouldn't complain if he was out for the NU game the 28th. :lolhitting