2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

Yep, definitely a piss poor effort. Pick up the pieces and get ready for Saturday. Likely Indiana goes 0-2 this week, but this loss was coming. The team (outside of Zeller) has looked lazy the past 3 games. I think this was a wake up call for the better.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 10:44 AM)
My favorite was with less than a minute and a half to go, Indiana got 2 and-1 plays that were not even remotely close to being fouls. Think the Big Ten doesn't like drama?

The one with Zeller was definitely a foul, and I can't remember the other one.

I'm also amused that the first person to comment on the refs from that game was an Illinois fan.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 12:16 PM)
The one with Zeller was definitely a foul, and I can't remember the other one.

I'm also amused that the first person to comment on the refs from that game was an Illinois fan.

That's what we do. In fact, that's the only thing we do. I'm pretty sure we're the only fan base that complains about officiating in sports.

And no, the one with Zeller was the absolute clear wrong call. The other was at least debatable (the one with like 20 something seconds left) since the defender kinda sorta moved his hands down from a straight up and down position. In the heat of the moment (end of the game) with the way the game was called (not too terribly tight), it was two very odd calls that kept Indiana's chances alive.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 02:58 PM)
That's what we do. In fact, that's the only thing we do. I'm pretty sure we're the only fan base that complains about officiating in sports.

Not the only, but you're fan base is one of the worst. I mean, you're complaining about the refs in a game your team wasn't even playing in.

I just watched the replay on Zellers and 1, and there was definitely enough lower body contact to call a foul. Regardless, it's over, we lost, time to move on.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 02:48 PM)
Not the only, but you're fan base is one of the worst. I mean, you're complaining about the refs in a game your team wasn't even playing in.

I just watched the replay on Zellers and 1, and there was definitely enough lower body contact to call a foul. Regardless, it's over, we lost, time to move on.

You go to any sports message board and there will be b****ing about refs. My Texas Rangers/Mavericks fan is always b****ing about them nonstop too, thinks the world is out to get Texas sports teams.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 03:17 PM)
You go to any sports message board and there will be b****ing about refs. My Texas Rangers/Mavericks fan is always b****ing about them nonstop too, thinks the world is out to get Texas sports teams.

Granted, the refs did cost the Mavericks the 2006 NBA Finals

Lol, ditto my friend. Hoosiers fans think so highly of themselves, it's quite hilarious. Who here hasn't complained about Big Ten officiating? I'm a fan of college basketball generally, Big Ten basketball specifically and of course my favorite team is Illinois. But I watch a LOT of Big Ten games, and I complain about a LOT of Big Ten officiating, both for and against teams that I dislike. Those bulls*** and-1 fouls were not fouls the entire game, but magically there's two of those calls in the last minute JUST as Indiana started to climb back into the game. It's f***ing entertainment theater and the Big Ten absolutely knows it and advocates for it. It's why nearly every Big Ten fan, and even college basketball writers, laugh about the Big Ten home advantage. It's purposeful to make games closer so that the conference as a whole looks better ("they went 9-9 but it's so tough to win in the Big Ten. They just beat each other up").

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 08:05 AM)
I'd call that a classic trap game. Bigger game coming up in a few days, weaker opponent, young team, at home, coming off 3 big wins earlier in the month. Underestimate the opponent, don't come in ready to play, maybe party a bit too much during the week, etc. It happens.

Wow, way to roll out the red carpet of excuses.

That sure was a hell of a generous continuation call.

Michigan has no length down low. Outside of Burke and Hardaway, very unauthentic. Beilein won't play one of the best in Illinois in 09 over two kids who do nothing but throw up bricks.

Add that the Salukis aren't as terrible as I thought and are saving CLo's job. Ugh

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 11:37 AM)
Michigan has no length down low. Outside of Burke and Hardaway, very unauthentic. Beilein won't play one of the best in Illinois in 09 over two kids who do nothing but throw up bricks.

Add that the Salukis aren't as terrible as I thought and are saving CLo's job. Ugh

Iowa freaking dominated the Wolverines today. That was fun to watch. Iowa with 3 pretty damn good conference wins (vs. Michigan, @ Minn, @ Wiscy). They still have had there bad games but they are an improving squad. White can fill the bucket for a freshman and Basabe is slowly getting back in shape. Marble has made tremendous strides at the PG spot this year.

I think McCaffrey can coach and they actually have some talent coming in from the recruiting trail. Please let Iowa be slowly coming out from there long rut.

Note: I am not saying Iowa is great; They have tons of flaws still but man, they are light-years better than they were a year ago.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)
K State sure is tripping up a bit.

Great at home, bad on the road. Big 12 is a three-team race (Baylor, Mizzou, Kansas) but I think Baylor will pull away at some point. Their length makes them upset proof against so many teams.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 02:27 PM)
The game was during winter break so the home court advantage wasnt as great. Nonetheless, I didnt think Iowa would beat another top half Big10 team, so the fact they handled Michigan shows that Iowa was better than I thought.

This will obviously get sorted by the end of the year, but I think people's perceptions are far from the actual rankings of the Big Ten teams. It's a wacky year, but I don't think Michigan is any good and Indiana probably finishes only 11-7 or 10-8. Wisconsin is struggling and Illinois is surprisingly coming on. It's a wide open league, but I think by the end of the year these 'upsets' won't be upsets when you look at the final standings.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 02:42 PM)
Great at home, bad on the road. Big 12 is a three-team race (Baylor, Mizzou, Kansas) but I think Baylor will pull away at some point. Their length makes them upset proof against so many teams.

This will obviously get sorted by the end of the year, but I think people's perceptions are far from the actual rankings of the Big Ten teams. It's a wacky year, but I don't think Michigan is any good and Indiana probably finishes only 11-7 or 10-8. Wisconsin is struggling and Illinois is surprisingly coming on. It's a wide open league, but I think by the end of the year these 'upsets' won't be upsets when you look at the final standings.

I still don't believe in Scott Drew as a coach.

Anytime Wisconsin loses to a nonranked team at the Kohl Center its an upset.

I personally have always thought this would be one of Wisconsin's tougher years as a team, but they had no business losing to Iowa, and really should have beat MSU as well. Against Iowa, Wisconsin shot 35%overall and 10% (3-28) from beyond the arc.

Iowa beating Wisconsin at Wisconsin is an upset and will be one at the end of the year as well.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 02:43 PM)
I still don't believe in Scott Drew as a coach.

You don't have to. They're completely loaded. As long as they stay healthy there are only a dozen or so teams that can stay on the court with them.

Gus Johnson after Shurna makes a 30 footer to go into half: "Shurna....OHHHH.....SHURNA from the HASH!" Love it.