2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 02:59 PM)
You don't have to. They're completely loaded. As long as they stay healthy there are only a dozen or so teams that can stay on the court with them.

Gus Johnson after Shurna makes a 30 footer to go into half: "Shurna....OHHHH.....SHURNA from the HASH!" Love it.

I heart Gus Johnson. It's early, but I think this a must-win for Northwestern to keep alive any tourney aspirations they might have.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 04:12 PM)
FSU destroyed UNC, odd.

FSU always beats one highly ranked team at home it seems under Hamilton each season.

For as bad as FSU has looked, the line was only UNC -6 today. That just screamed out that FSU was the play.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 03:13 PM)
I heart Gus Johnson. It's early, but I think this a must-win for Northwestern to keep alive any tourney aspirations they might have.

Good thing they won. Honestly, I don't think it was a must-win, but they are only a few chances on the schedule to pick up a win like that. I think the difference from previous years is that they actually have a pretty decent non-conference resume. Seton Hall is surprisingly turning into a quality win and their losses (Baylor and at Creighton) are anything but bad. Entering today they were 30th in the RPI and 10th in SOS. Both numbers will go up. I'm not saying they're in a good spot, but a winning Big Ten record should be enough, especially with a top tier win in hand.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 06:18 PM)
Not this embarrassing of a performance. The game was over after 5 minutes.

Maybe not, but Duke did the same thing at OSU. I saw this coming. Indiana won't have a problem with Illinois.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 06:27 PM)
Maybe not, but Duke did the same thing at OSU. I saw this coming. Indiana won't have a problem with Illinois.

Indiana is the worst defensive team in the conference right now. They are going to struggle with everybody unless that changes. They need to shoot 60+% from three to beat Michigan by 2 at home and needed to do the same to beat PSU by only 6.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 07:19 PM)
Indiana is the worst defensive team in the conference right now. They are going to struggle with everybody unless that changes. They need to shoot 60+% from three to beat Michigan by 2 at home and needed to do the same to beat PSU by only 6.

That'll happen when you play OSU twice, MSU, and UM to in your first 6 games. They'll be fine. The schedule gets better from here on out. If you told me we'd be 3-3 right now before the BT started, I'd take that in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 05:27 PM)

Just like they didn't have a problem with Minnesota.

It's easy to talk when you don't have to make the return trip, too.

Indiana laid one against Minny, I highly doubt that happens against ILL. I don't think you wanna get into some of the stinkers your team has played. Bruce might want to realize he has more talent than his idle Gene Keady ever had and adjust accordingly.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 10:27 PM)
Indiana laid one against Minny, I highly doubt that happens against ILL. I don't think you wanna get into some of the stinkers your team has played. Bruce might want to realize he has more talent than his idle Gene Keady ever had and adjust accordingly.

Glenn Robinson?

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 05:27 PM)

I don't think it's going to be as easy you're making it sound. It's really contingent on two things really (for IU): getting Meyers Leonard into early foul trouble (likely because the game is @IU) and shooting a good % from 3. I did research on some IU games (6 B1G games + 1 tough OOC game) and I found some interesting things. Out of those 7 games IU shot 60% or better from 3 in three of those games (kind of absurd). They won those three games by a total of 9 points. In the remaining four games they shot under 40% from 3 in each and are 1-3 with the point differential being -31, including a home loss to minnesota.

The one game they won they got OSU's best scorers into foul trouble. All of them. None of Sullinger, Buford, and Thomas were able to play 30+ minutes in that game (and they all do in tightly contested games- well over 30 minutes usually).

I'm not saying UI is going to win, but I'd calm down before making IU sound like a powerhouse. Shooting 30-40% from 3 is much more likely to happen than shooting 60% from 3. When that happens it usually doesn't bode well for IU when they play a team with a pulse.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 11:47 PM)
Glenn Robinson?

I'm talking as a collective team. Heck, it's not even fair to Glenn to say he was Gene's player. He came to Purdue because of Frank Kendrick. He took a nap halfway through Knight and Keady's home visit. And judging by his apartment and vehicle (for a kid from Gary, Indiana), there's no chance it was a clean recruitment anyway.

But back to IU/IL. I was pissed and drinking heavily last night. It won't be easy for IU, but I fully expect them to win.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 08:52 AM)
I'm talking as a collective team. Heck, it's not even fair to Glenn to say he was Gene's player. He came to Purdue because of Frank Kendrick. He took a nap halfway through Knight and Keady's home visit. And judging by his apartment and vehicle (for a kid from Gary, Indiana), there's no chance it was a clean recruitment anyway.

But back to IU/IL. I was pissed and drinking heavily last night. It won't be easy for IU, but I fully expect them to win.

I have no idea what to expect in that game. On the one hand I could see Illinois getting blown out of the gym like they did at Purdue. I can also see them gutting out a tough win like they did against Northwestern. It does, seem, however that Indiana's shooting is coming back down to earth the last few weeks. So that'll help.