2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 13, 2012 -> 01:40 PM)
What I think is going to happen and what I think deserves to happen are two different things. If ISU finishes by beating just OU and Tech then they're going to have an extremely weak profile, granted I'll have to compare them to everyone else before I can say if they deserve to be in or out. That being said if we're going to compare them to a say 9-9 or 10-8 KSU team then the Cats get the advantage because of their ooc wins against LBSU and a full strength Alabama.

I suppose if KSU and ISU have basically identical records, you make a good point about the OOC games. But KSU has struggled of late, so I think it will be a stretch for them to finish 10-8, or even 9-9 in the B12.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 13, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)
And for the record NSS, last 10 games and conference rpi are two things the committee has supposedly dropped from the selection process.

Also, I swear it's just a coincidence that ISU happens to be the team I'm picking on this year. I'm actually rooting for them, their whole body of works just lacks quality.

Oh I didn't think you were anyway. Honestly, I am just happy with what Freddy has done this season, I think he's truly improved the team and the program in a big way, regardless of what happens the rest of the way.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 13, 2012 -> 01:58 PM)
That potentially weak finish is what does it for me. It's kind of unlucky scheduling. If those last 3 games are split up the resume probably looks better, but when you're in/on the bubble like Iowa State currently appears and lose your last 3 regular season games that becomes a bit of a red flag no matter who the losses were to. If the selection committee picks today they're in. I just think they're gonna need to win one of those 3 games or make the Big 12 semis to avoid their resume taking a hit at the time of year when they can least afford that.

Having those three on the schedule to end it, and 2 on the road, definitely hurts. But if there is a silver lining, it is that if they are competitive in those games, they will be pretty well tuned-up for the NCAA's if they make it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 13, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)
I think when it's all said and done Texas will be in the tourney. They are young and getting better and Barnes can only do so much to keep that talent down. But yes, I think you have it right when you talk about how tough the Big 12 is this year due to losing colorado and nebraska. Because as we've seen, even marginal teams are really tough to beat at home. Anyhoo, my production is kstate rights the ship, and them and texas finish strong and make it.

Texas has a hot hand. I personally think K-State crumbles, Texas passes them, and you get ISU and Tex in, with KSU out.

For as bad as ISU's last three games are, KSU is hitting a similar lineup for their NEXT three games: vs KU, @Baylor, @ Mizzou. Then vs ISU.

Texas has 4 of 6 remaining games on the road, but only two games against the big boys: vs Baylor and @ KU. They might have the easiest remaining schedule. If I had to throw out predictions,

--ISU wins one of the KSU or Baylor games, and beats OU and TTU, to finish 21-10/11-7.

--Texas wins two of their three road games against weaklings, beats OU at home, loses at KU but upsets Baylor, to finish 20-11/10-8.

--KSU loses the next three and loses one of the ISU or A&M games, ends at 19-11/8-10.

Looking at that, assuming Baylor hangs onto the three seed, ISU is 4th, Texas 5th, KSU 6th. That pits Texas against ISU after the bye round, and KSU plays Baylor.

I think ISU and Texas are both in, even if they lose first round in the B12 tourney (against each other, one of them has to). KSU needs a win or two in the tourney to have a chance, so they need to upset likely-Baylor in the first round after the bye.

Feel free to bookmark this post so you can point and laugh later when I am totally wrong, which happens a lot. :lolhitting

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 13, 2012 -> 04:53 PM)
I suppose if KSU and ISU have basically identical records, you make a good point about the OOC games. But KSU has struggled of late, so I think it will be a stretch for them to finish 10-8, or even 9-9 in the B12.

If I had to throw out predictions,

--ISU wins one of the KSU or Baylor games, and beats OU and TTU, to finish 21-10/11-7.

K State does have a brutal schedule coming up. They pretty much have to beat Kansas tonight. Funny thing is the way the Big 12 did the schedule most of the league got Missouri and Kansas back to back and a few of those that didn't had K State in between them. Not that anyone in their right mind would have thought Mizzou would have been this good, but it's funny to have back to back top 5/10 teams on your schedule.

I'd be willing to bet Iowa State doesn't win at Baylor and K State seems unlikely given the Wildcats desperation.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Feb 13, 2012 -> 05:10 PM)
We'll learn a lot more about this team in two hours. Kansas is actually a pretty good matchup for Iowa State. Not sure about Baylor, but I probably don't need to rehash my feelings on Scott Drew.

I will for you then. Scott Drew is a POS.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 13, 2012 -> 05:13 PM)
K State does have a brutal schedule coming up. They pretty much have to beat Kansas tonight. Funny thing is the way the Big 12 did the schedule most of the league got Missouri and Kansas back to back and a few of those that didn't had K State in between them. Not that anyone in their right mind would have thought Mizzou would have been this good, but it's funny to have back to back top 5/10 teams on your schedule.

I'd be willing to bet Iowa State doesn't win at Baylor and K State seems unlikely given the Wildcats desperation.

I meant the home game against Baylor. I give them about 40% to win that one, and a similar 40% at KSU.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 13, 2012 -> 06:00 PM)
no one seems to be a very good matchup for trob. Guy is so good. I hate kansas :(

Ejim did a VERY good job against him for only being 6-6.Holding him to 11/14 and 13/7 is really good. I'll take TRob only averaging 12 and 10.5.

We look like dogs*** right now against Baylor though. Can't go cold from behind the arc.

I was always wondering where IU recruit Ron Patterson got the nickname "Buss."

They called him a crybaby.

As a child, Ron Patterson whined, threw tantrums and shed many tears. Too many, his grandmother thought.

Ron Patterson has grown from a boy who struggled with life in a rough part of town to a man who won't back down from anyone.

The Pattersons lived on 39th Street and Hillside Avenue in Indianapolis. In the past six months, according to the city’s public records, more than 232 violent crimes took place within a mile of the area. It was even worse back then.

Eventually, Ron would have to learn to be tough, or the community that surrounded him would swallow him up. But as a young boy, he cried. And he cried a lot.

His grandma made sure he got the message early on. She called him “Buss.” It was short for busta, which rapper Snoop Dogg used for wimps, babies, cowards.

The nickname stuck, but Buss caught on. Real men don’t just say they aren’t bustas. They act like it, too.

Eventually, the tears stopped.

http://indiana.247sports.com/Article/Not-a-Busta-61185

QUOTE (farmteam @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 09:30 AM)
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/colleges/p...r-on-a-hot-seat

Decent article by Bardo; nothing new really, but seems to be a good sum-up of many Illini fans feelings (at least on this board) on Weber and the program from a prominent former player.

yeah, i agree with him. They are a top 15 program but haven't acted like it since 2005. They need to make a big splash. Problem is, who's out there?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 09:52 AM)
yeah, i agree with him. They are a top 15 program but haven't acted like it since 2005. They need to make a big splash. Problem is, who's out there?

Chris Lowery

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 09:29 PM)
Well Kyyle you can add to those stats...Creighton shot a MVC single game record 78 percent from the field tonight against the Dawgs. Hahahahahahhahaha what a f***in embarrassment.

Wow, heck of a box score. I'm tempted to watch that to see how that's possible. 12-14 from 3?!

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 11:46 PM)
Wow, heck of a box score. I'm tempted to watch that to see how that's possible. 12-14 from 3?!

Indiana State shot 12 of 12 from 3 against us on Saturday so our opponenets have gone 24 of 26 on 3 pointers against us in the last two games, I'm pretty sure that's impossible to do. And for a program that just 4 years ago was thought of as one of the best defensive schools in the country, it's quite impressive.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 09:29 PM)
Well Kyyle you can add to those stats...Creighton shot a MVC single game record 78 percent from the field tonight against the Dawgs. Hahahahahahhahaha what a f***in embarrassment.

I remember when Under Armour came on board with SIU, and their motto "PROTECT OUR HOUSE" made sense.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 12:46 AM)

That's a very weird box score. SIU didnt turn the ball over, took 50% more shots (with a 50% FG%), shot well from 3, only had 6 turnovers and lost by 20

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 09:23 AM)
That's a very weird box score. SIU didnt turn the ball over, took 50% more shots (with a 50% FG%), shot well from 3, only had 6 turnovers and lost by 20

It's SIU and Creighton in a nutshell, it shows just how embarrssing our program has become but it also highlights CU's weakness which happens to be perimeter defense. As much as I've raved about Creighton all year(they are a very good team) their defense certainly needs to improve if they want to be a 2nd weekend team. They're quite possibly one of the top 5 offensive teams in the country but if they don't sure up their d(which seems unlikely at this pt) they could have a very disappointing early rd exit.