Milledge DFA

justBLAZE

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 05:47 AM)
I was about to write that he may have been battling for a starting spot on some of the Sox teams I've watched. Thankfully we're talking the last roster spot.

And now you have.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 05:35 AM)
You can be a great player at some point, at some level, but no, you do not necessarily have to be at the major league level. Sure, in the grand scheme of things he is better than 99.9% of the world. We are not talking about a softball beer league, college, or the minors. We are discussing the major leagues. There are all different degrees of talent in the spectrum. This clearly goes for all sports. In the major leagues lillibridge has simply been a bad player, and i can't see how that can be disputed.

Barring a situation that presents itself, sometimes bad (or worse) players end up making a team... because said team can't find anyone better... at least in their eyes. Also, there really is only so much talent in the league, and someone has to have the brent lillbridge's of the world.

To me this is equivalent to saying a certain actor or actress ''can't act''. Are all of them automatically good and better? Do none suck? How can this be? When someone says someone can't act they simply mean in comparison to all the other examples they have witnessed before them. This actor that ''can't act'' on the big screen would blow the average person out of the water. This goes for writers, musicians, chefs. Compared to the rest of the world these professionals can write amazing, sing amazing, etc... i will in no way try to deny that. But to say they can't suck/be horrible comparison to the rest of those in their profession is just silly to me. Why do you ask? Because some honestly do. It's fair game to critique a players skill set in comparison to the rest of the league, i don't see how it can be any other way.

One of these days, I'll learn to mimic your posting style. This is excellent. I can't believe I'm getting reamed because I'm pointing out the undeniable fact that Brent Lillibridge is a horrible baseball player. Forget about my earlier post. That was more me messing around than anything. But Lillibridge is an embarrassment to the game of baseball.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 03:57 AM)
Does anyone else love when a bunch of nobodies try to say that someone in the MLB is "terrible" at baseball..

Seriously J4L, STFU, Brent Lillibridge would look like Albert Pujols compared to you.. Theres nothing wrong with having a player who can play up to 6 positions on the field and has solid speed to be the 25th man on your roster.. He is what he is, a guy who is gonna pinch run late or be a defensive replacement in the OF late in the game.. At least we can count on him to not walk after a ball he misplayed or to just have it bounce off his glove completely..

At least he is busting his ass, at least he can get a bunt down, at least he can be trusted to catch a routine pop fly.. Do I wish we had a bench that was full of .300 hitters? You bet your tits.. but no one does..

If you have ever criticized a professional player's performance, you are being hypocritical. Its all relative. Compared to other MLB players currently and in the past, Brent Lillibridge has been "terrible at baseball". There is no denying it. Perhaps the reason Milledge was DFA was because he was "terrible at baseball' the first couple games of the season.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 08:58 AM)
If you have ever criticized a professional player's performance, you are being hypocritical. Its all relative. Compared to other MLB players currently and in the past, Brent Lillibridge has been "terrible at baseball". There is no denying it. Perhaps the reason Milledge was DFA was because he was "terrible at baseball' the first couple games of the season.

+1

The logic here is that since someone like say, Luis Terrero, is better than me he is absolved from sucking at the MLB level.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 05:35 AM)
You can be a great player at some point, at some level, but no, you do not necessarily have to be at the major league level. Sure, in the grand scheme of things he is better than 99.9% of the world. We are not talking about a softball beer league, college, or the minors. We are discussing the major leagues. There are all different degrees of talent in the spectrum. This clearly goes for all sports. In the major leagues lillibridge has simply been a bad player, and i can't see how that can be disputed.

Barring a situation that presents itself, sometimes bad (or worse) players end up making a team... because said team can't find anyone better... at least in their eyes. Also, there really is only so much talent in the league, and someone has to have the brent lillbridge's of the world.

To me this is equivalent to saying a certain actor or actress ''can't act''. Are all of them automatically good and better? Do none suck? How can this be? When someone says someone can't act they simply mean in comparison to all the other examples they have witnessed before them. This actor that ''can't act'' on the big screen would blow the average person out of the water. This goes for writers, musicians, chefs. Compared to the rest of the world these professionals can write amazing, sing amazing, etc... i will in no way try to deny that. But to say they can't suck/be horrible comparison to the rest of those in their profession is just silly to me. Why do you ask? Because some honestly do. It's fair game to critique a players skill set in comparison to the rest of the league, i don't see how it can be any other way.

Also golfclap.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 12:19 PM)
+1

The logic here is that since someone like say, Luis Terrero, is better than me he is absolved from sucking at the MLB level.

Thats actually not the logic at all, I was just saying that because J4L made it seem like he could go out there right now and do the exact same thing as Lillibridge, which is ridiculous..

There is a difference between criticizing a player and saying a player is an embarrassment to the game, gimme a break..

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 02:57 AM)
Does anyone else love when a bunch of nobodies try to say that someone in the MLB is "terrible" at baseball..

Seriously J4L, STFU, Brent Lillibridge would look like Albert Pujols compared to you.. Theres nothing wrong with having a player who can play up to 6 positions on the field and has solid speed to be the 25th man on your roster.. He is what he is, a guy who is gonna pinch run late or be a defensive replacement in the OF late in the game.. At least we can count on him to not walk after a ball he misplayed or to just have it bounce off his glove completely..

At least he is busting his ass, at least he can get a bunt down, at least he can be trusted to catch a routine pop fly.. Do I wish we had a bench that was full of .300 hitters? You bet your tits.. but no one does..

Ya, this is a bunch of crap.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 01:09 PM)
Thats actually not the logic at all, I was just saying that because J4L made it seem like he could go out there right now and do the exact same thing as Lillibridge, which is ridiculous..

There is a difference between criticizing a player and saying a player is an embarrassment to the game, gimme a break..

Give me a break, TRU. U know damn well I don't really think I could get to the big leagues. That part was me joking. But Lillibridge being awful is not a joke.

But Lillibridge is an embarrassment to the game of baseball.

Lilly actually did some nice things last year.

I don't think your statement above is exactly correct.

Linebrink was an embarrassment. Pena and Ohman at times are embarrassments too.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 05:19 PM)
Lilly actually did some nice things last year.

I don't think your statement above is exactly correct.

Linebrink was an embarrassment. Pena and Ohman at times are embarrassments too.

Linebrink, Pena and Ohman each did some nice things last year. Lillibridge hit like a pitcher when he got to play when Beckham went down.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)
Give me a break, TRU. U know damn well I don't really think I could get to the big leagues. That part was me joking. But Lillibridge being awful is not a joke.

Yes I know you were joking, and that's fine to say that Lillibridge is awful.. but hes not terrible at baseball, no one in the MLB is terrible at baseball otherwise they wouldn't be there.. Is his performance not on par with the better players in the league, absolutely I cant argue that.. but you are saying hes an embarrassment to the game and stuff like that.. Its not the same as just saying someone is a crappy player

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 09:28 PM)
Yes I know you were joking, and that's fine to say that Lillibridge is awful.. but hes not terrible at baseball, no one in the MLB is terrible at baseball otherwise they wouldn't be there.. Is his performance not on par with the better players in the league, absolutely I cant argue that.. but you are saying hes an embarrassment to the game and stuff like that.. Its not the same as just saying someone is a crappy player

Lillibridge sucks. Elijah Dukes is/was an embarrassment to the game. You're right, they're very different things. I think J4L was just trying to find an exceptionally strong way of expressing his disdain for Lillibridge, in the absolutist way we're all so fond of.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 08:31 PM)
Lillibridge sucks. Elijah Dukes is/was an embarrassment to the game. You're right, they're very different things. I think J4L was just trying to find an exceptionally strong way of expressing his disdain for Lillibridge, in the absolutist way we're all so fond of.

Yeah, I should have realized that from the beginning.. I think this went a little too literal than it needed to

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 09:06 PM)
I have to add, I do roll my eyes a bit when J4L seeks his increasingly demeaning crescendo of insults regarding a player's performance, all while he is sitting on his couch eating pork rinds or taco bell.

Or 2 40's and a bag of Doritos

Note to self:

Never dare criticize a player's performance or skill-set ever again because they made it to the major leagues and I never did out of respect to sensitive Soxtalk posters.

Brent Lillibridge, Mark Teahen, Cesar Izturis, Cliff Penington, Yuniesky Betancourt, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Brandon Wood, the entire Padres lineup, ect....

Take a bow. I can't see any of you because I'm not in the majors. Now where's my beer!

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 10, 2011 -> 12:19 AM)
Note to self:

Never dare criticize a player's performance or skill-set ever again because they made it to the major leagues and I never did out of respect to sensitive Soxtalk posters.

Brent Lillibridge, Mark Teahen, Cesar Izturis, Cliff Penington, Yuniesky Betancourt, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Brandon Wood, the entire Padres lineup, ect....

Take a bow. I can't see any of you because I'm not in the majors. Now where's my beer!

Dude, nobody's saying you can't criticize ballplayers. But you're asking to be piled on when you make contentious claims like "x can never do y" or "a is the worst b in history", etc. Go ahead and criticize, but when you pour on the hyperbole you get a lot of moderating answers pulling the discussion back towards center. That's the nature of living at a pole.