Milledge DFA

justBLAZE

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 04:16 PM)
Jesus. We knew Ozzie would want to keep Lillibridge's grindy ass.

Why do we care. Lastings is no good; neither in Lilly, but it's been pointed out that we can't have Lastings in the outfield. He can't catch a fly ball. What he did yesterday set the tone for a lousy game.

First inning blunder.

Lastings sucks. Time to move on. Who cares that we cut that stiff?

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To everyone who keeps perpetuating the weird sterotype that Milledge is a problem-child because he high-fived a fan a few years ago after a catch and I guess because he had cornrows and dreadlocks, he did not have some "huge blow up with Ozzie". Ozzie said in an interview just now that telling Milledge he had been DFA'd was "one of the hardest conversations" he's had yet as a manager.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 11:40 AM)
I just really don't get this from a baseball perspective. The White Sox of the past 3-4 seasons have historically stunk against left-handers. Lastings had a .926 OPS against them last season, with a near .800 career mark in 500 at bats vs lefties.

He was exactly what this team has craved and needed for quite some time off the bench, a lefty killer who can sub in in the outfield and at DH.

It's just quite silly to release him in order to keep Brent freaking Lillibridge. OR all-in and sack up and release Teahen's worthless ass.

He is a lefty killer who can DH. Milledge is horrendous in the OF and has absolutely no business playing there. Fact of the matter is if you send down Tiny Brent your only backup OF is Teahen, who is also awful but slightly less awful than Milledge (think of Teahen as leprosy and Milledge as the plague). We need someone who can play some OF defense to get CQ out of there late in games more than we need more punch off the bench.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 10:51 AM)
After 2 games we are going to make that call that Milledge is "really f***ing bad out there", and say the 2nd worst fielder in all the majors last year (Quentin), could actually be better out there? Give me a break. I saw enough of Milledge in spring training to know he is better than the 2 games he has played out there.

He did the same thing in spring training, he just can't judge a fly ball to save his life. He either takes a step the wrong way or freezes on everything that's hit out there, yes, he's really f***in bad in the of.

And I never said Quentin was better than anyone but so far this season he's been just fine out there. It could be the combination of him being healthy(keeping fingers crossed) and getting used to playing rf again or it could just be the fact that it's only been 5 games but so far he's made every play he's had to and he looks good in doing so.

People b****ing about Milledge being DFA instead of Teahen need to get with the program and accept that the guy isn't going anywhere. It makes no sense from a financial standpoint to eat 10 million over the next 2 years just to keep marginal all bat no glove player like Milledge. It just isn't going to happen, no team in baseball would eat 10 million dollars for the 25th or 26th man on the team.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 01:05 PM)
He did the same thing in spring training, he just can't judge a fly ball to save his life. He either takes a step the wrong way or freezes on everything that's hit out there, yes, he's really f***in bad in the of.

And I never said Quentin was better than anyone but so far this season he's been just fine out there. It could be the combination of him being healthy(keeping fingers crossed) and getting used to playing rf again or it could just be the fact that it's only been 5 games but so far he's made every play he's had to and he looks good in doing so.

Alright, well then I disagree. He was not really f***in bad in the of. He was just fine in spring training.

It's funny that this team can own the 2nd worst fielder in the MLB last year, and fans can still be fooled into thinking he is better in the OF than someone who has been a historically above average LF.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 01:14 PM)
Alright, well then I disagree. He was not really f***in bad in the of. He was just fine in spring training.

It's funny that this team can own the 2nd worst fielder in the MLB last year, and fans can still be fooled into thinking he is better in the OF than someone who has been a historically above average LF.

It's funny how some people always twist arguments using things people don't actually say.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 01:14 PM)

Did anyone say Milledge was better or worse than CQ in the field? When has Milledge been an above average LF? His defense has been an abomination for several years now. If he could play some defense he wouldn't have had to sign a minor league contract this offseason.

Even if Milledge was better in the field than Quentin, who cares? Quentin has proven in the past that he is capable of murdering the ball. Milledge has proven he can be let go by both the Nationals and the Pirates.

Edited by hawksfan61

QUOTE (hawksfan61 @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 12:04 PM)
He is a lefty killer who can DH. Milledge is horrendous in the OF and has absolutely no business playing there. Fact of the matter is if you send down Tiny Brent your only backup OF is Teahen, who is also awful but slightly less awful than Milledge (think of Teahen as leprosy and Milledge as the plague). We need someone who can play some OF defense to get CQ out of there late in games more than we need more punch off the bench.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 12:04 PM)
To everyone who keeps perpetuating the weird sterotype that Milledge is a problem-child because he high-fived a fan a few years ago after a catch and I guess because he had cornrows and dreadlocks, he did not have some "huge blow up with Ozzie". Ozzie said in an interview just now that telling Milledge he had been DFA'd was "one of the hardest conversations" he's had yet as a manager.

Yeah for some reason he, Ozzie, and Kenny have had a pretty good relationship. He seems to respect the Sox organization, and it seems to have kept him in-line pretty well. Hopefully Ozzie just told him to go to Charlotte and keep your mouth shut because we really like you, and you will be the first call up if something happens.

Honestly, the big thing that tells me there is something to the Milledge reputation is how quickly he has gone through team. He has moved around like Milton Bradley fast. Teams like Washington and Pittsburgh don't dump talents like that for no reason.

QUOTE (hawksfan61 @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 01:21 PM)
Did anyone say Milledge was better or worse than CQ in the field? When has Milledge been an above average LF? His defense has been an abomination for several years now. If he could play some defense he wouldn't have had to sign a minor league contract this offseason.

Even if Milledge was better in the field than Quentin, who cares? Quentin has proven in the past that he is capable of murdering the ball. Milledge has proven he can be let go by both the Nationals and the Pirates.

In 2010 with a 0.3 UZR

In 2009 with a 2.4 UZR

In 2006 with a 1.9 UZR

2007 w/ the Mets was the only year where he was below average in LF.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 10:46 AM)
I'm guessing it is a comination of Milledge having an option, most likely to not be claimed, doesn't play CF, isn't the best speedster, and we really need another pitcher.

If he still has an option left they should be able to just send him down to the minors with DFA'ing him right?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 01:33 PM)
In 2010 with a 0.3 UZR

In 2009 with a 2.4 UZR

In 2006 with a 1.9 UZR

2007 w/ the Mets was the only year where he was below average in LF.

What about 2007 and 2008? How many innings did he play in the OF? I don't put much stock into defensive metrics, defense is very hard to measure statistically. I know watching him play in Pittsburgh the last couple years he is not a good OF. How do the other defensive metrics other than UZR measure his defense?

With Humber, for practical intents and purposes, now in the rotation and out of the bullpen another pitcher was needed. If Dunn was available, MIlledge wouldn't have started yesterday nor Lillibridge today. For the bench role, Lillibridge fills it with better defense, more versatility and more speed. The Sox made the right decision based on the big picture.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 12:41 PM)
If he still has an option left they should be able to just send him down to the minors with DFA'ing him right?

Not if they need the 40 man roster spot for Grey. Milledge is being removed from the 40 man if he is DFA.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 08:21 AM)
Him being "brutal" in 2 games in the field were still better than Teahen has been at any position. It's amazing how much security Teahen has just because of that mother f'n contract.

He can hit.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 09:28 AM)
And where are they in pitching?

Again, I haven't "given up" based on anything, let alone a single roster move. My faith is just slowly going downhill.

Besides, if it's too early to start losing faith in the team, why is it acceptable to dump Milledge after 2 games?

Didn't know world series were won during the first week of the season. Either way, our record is solid and our team on paper and on the field looks pretty damn solid to me.