Government Shutdown on the clock thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 06:35 PM)
The U.S. is suspending its entire Antarctic research program and recalling its staff from bases around antarctica which are funded by NSF. This will cost hundreds, maybe thousands of scientists a full year of work and there is no turning back from it once the people leave because research trips cannot happen.

This will also cost millions, maybe billions of dollars in lost research funds, it will cost support jobs worldwide for the entire year. Projects that have been monitoring things continuously for decades will be lost and some may basically start next year at square one.

A recently hired professor at UT got the call today saying that the trip for her research was canceled.

Tenure processes at universities generally have reviews after about 4-5 years. Losing an entire field season could cost a researcher years of work. This could legitimately destroy her career.

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 02:18 PM)
A recently hired professor at UT got the call today saying that the trip for her research was canceled.

Tenure processes at universities generally have reviews after about 4-5 years. Losing an entire field season could cost a researcher years of work. This could legitimately destroy her career.

Cuts in grants and funding thanks to the sequester is having a major impact like this as well, no?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 03:19 PM)
Cuts in grants and funding thanks to the sequester is having a major impact like this as well, no?

I've just already assumed that the grant application I put in this year will be sequestered and the grant that funds me had 20% lopped off the top, requiring me to find additional funding like sending in that additional grant that I'm assuming won't be funded because of the sequester. How to make that work...I don't quite know. Oh, and I'm still waiting to hear about that grant, so it would be nice if we actually had a "National Aeronautics and Space Administration", but for the moment we don't.

It's a f***ing joke. But hey, since it doesn't get coverage, ruining people's careers is unimportant and like they said here, the sequester happened and didn't do any damge.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 08:40 PM)
I'm starting to get really down about this. I never thought this had the possibility of lasting this long.

This short-term debt ceiling increase was bad news for the shut down.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 12:34 PM)
The shutdown or the PPACA?

The PPACA. Democrats have basically just assumed that the bill is fine and the GOP is trying to save their own skin. There are plenty of intelligent people on that side who believe otherwise. I believe we should do, what we would want the GOP to do when times and advantages reverse (as they always do). The partisanship has taken us to a point where both sides are unwilling to even look at the others. Maybe, just maybe, there is more validity in the GOP position than we are willing to see.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 03:12 PM)
What is the incentive to settle?

They are still getting paid. They live in a world where they get to smash their brand new car and expect to be given a new one just because.

They're almost all multi-millionaires and independently wealth. Their meager Congressional salary doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 03:12 PM)
What is the incentive to settle?

The incentive to lead. They aren't just looking for a paycheck, if that were the prime motivation what was the motive to argue in the first place? Just vote yes and you don't have to work hard at all.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 03:22 PM)
The PPACA. Democrats have basically just assumed that the bill is fine and the GOP is trying to save their own skin.

They have? I seem to remember them believing it's a huge compromise bill with a lot of parts that has needed some fixes and adjustments, needs more that we know of (but a certain group won't let happen!) and will need more in the future.

edit: there's plenty of criticism of Obamacare and Democrats in general from the left. You don't need to assume that the only criticism of Democratic policies comes from Republicans.

There are plenty of intelligent people on that side who believe otherwise.
So which one of the people screaming about Obamacare socializing medicine, creating death panels, killing freedom and destroying America are given intelligent, thoughtful criticism?

I believe we should do, what we would want the GOP to do when times and advantages reverse (as they always do). The partisanship has taken us to a point where both sides are unwilling to even look at the others. Maybe, just maybe, there is more validity in the GOP position than we are willing to see.

Maybe ~both sides~ is a garbage, unprincipled position and that we don't actually have to assume that all actors are rational, interested in good policy and good governance and are negotiating in good faith.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 03:23 PM)
They're almost all multi-millionaires and independently wealth. Their meager Congressional salary doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah it does, these people are the epitome of greed. They are multimillionaires who vote for raises when the govt is running a deficit. They are so greedy that instead of doing a maneuver to win political points "Ill give up my salary until we fix this mess."

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 03:23 PM)
The incentive to lead. They aren't just looking for a paycheck, if that were the prime motivation what was the motive to argue in the first place? Just vote yes and you don't have to work hard at all.

Their motive is their donors who are telling them that if they dont do X they wont get money in the next election, or they will donate to another candidate to run against them.

I hate to say it, but none of these people are leaders. Leaders dont let s*** like this happen. They actually LEAD.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 03:22 PM)
The PPACA. Democrats have basically just assumed that the bill is fine and the GOP is trying to save their own skin. There are plenty of intelligent people on that side who believe otherwise. I believe we should do, what we would want the GOP to do when times and advantages reverse (as they always do). The partisanship has taken us to a point where both sides are unwilling to even look at the others. Maybe, just maybe, there is more validity in the GOP position than we are willing to see.

I dont care how valid their position is, this isnt the appropriate way to play the game. If we dont enforce rules (such as votes, presidential elections, etc) then none of this matters. We will be taken hostage by whatever group is most willing to destroy everyone.

Ill leave it to my 2nd favorite Republican President to explain:

http://www.history.com/videos/reagan-dont-...with-terrorists

When is our celebrity president going to get this shutdown ended?? Lot of people are running out of money. I have a friend in defense engineering who said he will probably be furloughed next week. The people who were furloughed from the start are probably close to losing their homes, etc.

What a f***ing joke. END THE SHUTDOWN.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 11:51 PM)
Do you even know how the government operates? Like the basics (i.e., passing bills, etc.)?

I know people are suffering cause they need the work and need the paychecks being denied them because of Obama n the Republicans. I blame our celebrity president for failure to show one iota of leadership skill.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 05:57 PM)
I know people are suffering cause they need the work and need the paychecks being denied them because of Obama n the Republicans. I blame our celebrity president for failure to show one iota of leadership skill.

How can Obama use "leadership" to force Boehner to bring up a vote on a clean continuing resolution? A resolution which, if voted on, would be passed by the house, has already passed the Senate and would be signed by Obama?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 05:41 PM)
When is our celebrity president going to get this shutdown ended?? Lot of people are running out of money. I have a friend in defense engineering who said he will probably be furloughed next week. The people who were furloughed from the start are probably close to losing their homes, etc.

As terrible and dumb as this shutdown is, tomorrow is the first paycheck feral employees will be missing. I feel for them, my father is one of them, but nobody is close to losing their house because of this yet.

There are plenty of crappy things happening right now and that will happen in the future without needing to exaggerate.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 05:41 PM)

If you want to end the shutdown start having anyone who voted Republican in the last election write/call their congressman and tell them that they will note vote Republican in the next election unless the shutdown ends in (insert time) here.

Its time to send a message.

Sometimes your team wins a game, sometimes your team loses a game, but most adults understand that after the game is over the losing team doesnt get to threaten to kill the crowd unless the referees reverse the outcome.

We cant give into that type of threat, we just cant.

As terrible and dumb as this shutdown is, tomorrow is the first paycheck feral employees will be missing. I feel for them, my father is one of them, but nobody is close to losing their house because of this yet.

There are plenty of crappy things happening right now and that will happen in the future without needing to exaggerate.

No, professional level Federal employees like myself won't be losing their houses. However, I had to dip into my retirement account and I'll never get back the $3K or so in penalties. It doesn't have to hurt a lot to piss people off.

Also, the lady who empties my trash and vacuums my floor everyday is contracted and not a Federal employee. She won't get back pay when the shutdown is over, and I imagine the $10/hour or whatever she makes is going to be dearly missed. She's the kind of person who's really getting screwed over by this.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 09:22 PM)
No, professional level Federal employees like myself won't be losing their houses. However, I had to dip into my retirement account and I'll never get back the $3K or so in penalties. It doesn't have to hurt a lot to piss people off.

Also, the lady who empties my trash and vacuums my floor everyday is contracted and not a Federal employee. She won't get back pay when the shutdown is over, and I imagine the $10/hour or whatever she makes is going to be dearly missed. She's the kind of person who's really getting screwed over by this.

Yep, definitely plenty of crappy results.

So you do have no idea how government works.

agreed with Quinarvy, you don't understand American government.

you're also heavily in the minority amongst the American public, who mostly blame the GOP.

hell, even John McCain blames the GOP.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 05:51 PM)
Do you even know how the government operates? Like the basics (i.e., passing bills, etc.)?

Not being flippant here, but I doubt many people (myself included) fully understand all the ramifications and differences between passing a budget, which hasn't happened in years, and funding through continuing resolutions. Then toss in the too many to track procedural options that seem to change based on the current situations, and you have events that I doubt many Americans, including the elected officials, can keep track of.

Not being flippant here, but I doubt many people (myself included) fully understand all the ramifications and differences between passing a budget, which hasn't happened in years, and funding through continuing resolutions. Then toss in the too many to track procedural options that seem to change based on the current situations, and you have events that I doubt many Americans, including the elected officials, can keep track of.

A budget is very detailed and specifies specific funding for each agency and in some cases even directs how money is to be spent within each agency. A continuing resolution simply establishes a temporary funding level that is based on some percentage of the previous year's funding level. It is essentially continuing the previous budget in lieu of writing a new one.