Should Sox hit Felipe with pitch or not Sunday?

greg775

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno, I don't like extra baserunners if it can be helped...like others said, if the situation presents itself, sure. Otherwise, whatever. This isn't a situation where we're preventing our hitters from getting plunked. The only Sox that got hit today was Q and you really can't blame a pitcher for hitting him when he sets up camp on top of the plate.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 10:56 PM)
Maddon already said it was a bad move my Lopez. I think it's done, no reason to throw at him.

In the NBA, when a guy makes a move like that, clearly taunting the other team to their face, he'll get a T called on him. The refs don't want the other team to retaliate because that always makes it worse.

MLB does the exact opposite. MLB doesn't respond until the other team responds, and they suspend the responding team, rather than the instigator.

[Pierzynski] was upset, because he thought I did it on purpose. I told him, 'I didn't mean to do that.' I wasn't mad at anything. The bat slipped. I think if I tried to do that, it wouldn't happen. I spoke to [White Sox manager] Ozzie [Guillen] and I apologized. I called him over and apologized." lopez.

ok he may have apologized but no way in hell was it non intentional, when has a bat ever landed there? stupid idiot

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 09:13 PM)
[Pierzynski] was upset, because he thought I did it on purpose. I told him, 'I didn't mean to do that.' I wasn't mad at anything. The bat slipped. I think if I tried to do that, it wouldn't happen. I spoke to [White Sox manager] Ozzie [Guillen] and I apologized. I called him over and apologized." lopez.

ok he may have apologized but no way in hell was it non intentional, when has a bat ever landed there? stupid idiot

I feel like a dick for defending Lopez, but I really do feel like it's all good at this point. Maddon straightened him out and now that you posted that he apologized, well, it's all good. He's never going to admit to doing it on purpose or he'd be facing a possible suspension. The fact that he apologized and his manager apologized makes me think there will be no retaliation. Maddon runs a pretty tight ship and is one of my favorite managers...a real up and up guy who, I have to believe, takes care of nonsense like Lopez pulled on his own.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 10, 2011 -> 12:40 AM)
If Longoria was still there, I'd say hit him to really send a message, but no one else in the lineup stands out like he does. Maybe get Lopez in the later innings.

Yeah later innings maybe if we are up 8-2 or down 8-2 but to lose your starting pitcher over that would be ridiculous and no doubt in my mind Floyd will be ejected if he hits him leading off the game.

Edited by greg775

on a serious note i just got a chance too see the replay and that was completely uncalled for. I commend Pierzynski for dealing with the issue and would not mind seeing a little chin music if lopez is in the game(force him to hit the deck).

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 07:56 PM)
Maddon already said it was a bad move my Lopez. I think it's done, no reason to throw at him.

I agree, let's just play ball and win the series. The Rays are 1-7, their window of opportunity is quickly closing, and they can't draw flies to their crappy ballpark. There's no point in getting our players suspended or injured to "send a message" to these losers.

QUOTE (cws0591 @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 11:55 PM)
on a serious note i just got a chance too see the replay and that was completely uncalled for. I commend Pierzynski for dealing with the issue and would not mind seeing a little chin music if lopez is in the game(force him to hit the deck).

This is why AJ rules.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 10, 2011 -> 12:13 AM)
This is why AJ rules.

I agree, and I wonder how many catchers would have done this. My guess is not very many. The fact that AJ did these means that the Sox don't have to plunk Lopez and risk an ejection, not to mention a free pass. That being said, I wouldn't mind it if they did it anyway.

Lopez is a turd. There is a reason why a guy who can rake (when he wants to) has bounced from team to team for the better part of 5 seasons now. Knowing Joe Maddon, upon the next bulls*** episode from him, he'll be back on the scrapheap from where TB picked him up.

Also, It wouldn't surprise me after seeing the reply if Lopez meant to flip the bat (Quentin flips his bat halfway to LF on doubles for cryin out loud) but just not in the direction of the pitcher.

Granted, Lopez is highly doucherous, but he did take the Sox "closer" deep after getting some chin music. Good for him.

This whole thing is stupid. Like other posters said... just win the damn game tomorrow and send the Rays back to TB at 1-8 and not 2-7.

Edited by Anderson Cooper's Quivering Lip

QUOTE (Anderson Cooper's Quivering @ Apr 10, 2011 -> 01:30 AM)
Lopez is a turd. There is a reason why a guy who can rake (when he wants to) has bounced from team to team for the better part of 5 seasons now. Knowing Joe Maddon, upon the next bulls*** episode from him, he'll be back on the scrapheap from where TB picked him up.

Also, It wouldn't surprise me after seeing the reply if Lopez meant to flip the bat (Quentin flips his bat halfway to LF on doubles for cryin out loud) but just not in the direction of the pitcher.

Granted, Lopez is highly doucherous, but he did take the Sox "closer" deep after getting some chin music. Good for him.

This whole thing is stupid. Like other posters said... just win the damn game tomorrow and send the Rays back to TB at 1-8 and not 2-7.

Lopez is probably gone after Longoria comes back.