April 11th Game Thread White Sox versus Athletics

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 09:53 PM)
With a Juan Pierre in LF and a Carlos Quentin in RF this team seriously could use a GOOD defensive outfielder for the late innings of close games like this.

The problem is that Pierre is actually a good defensive outfielder, he's just been horrible at judging high drifting fly balls. This has been a weakness of his. He's pretty much lost the Sox two games on his own because of his f***-ups though.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 09:55 PM)
Maybe it's just me...but I still send Mark out there in the 9th pitching a shutout. Not like he had a ridiculous pitch count...

I would have too. But Ozzie probably wanted Thornton to feel like he still has faith in him. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case tonight.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 10:55 PM)
Maybe it's just me...but I still send Mark out there in the 9th pitching a shutout. Not like he had a ridiculous pitch count...

That's what I said earlier. As an A's hitter, you would LOVE to see anyone but the guy who has just dominated you for 8 innings already. Getting a new pitcher out there was such a morale boost for them.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 03:56 AM)
I would have too. But Ozzie probably wanted Thornton to feel like he still has faith in him. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case tonight.

Do it in a game where he has a little breathing room.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 09:56 PM)
He faced three batters and they all hit the ball hard. He wasn't fooling anyone tonight. Hasn't looked good in the closer role at all so far.

Thornton deserves the benefit of the doubt for now. How does one dominate the 8th yet can't pitch in the 9th? I need more date in this case.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 09:55 PM)
Chw2,

Thornton had the first guy 0-2. At that point you can throw exclusively fastballs, for some reason they went offspeed and over the heart of the plate. I assure you, that is not part of mixing up pitches. Had Thornton got the first batter, its an entirely different inning. Its just the little things.

I actually am willing to give Thornton more of a chance because he atleast tried to do something different. This game was entirely execution, it wasnt predictability. Execution can be fixed (you hope).

It was a dumb call. Feel free to shake off your catcher anytime Matt. Same with Crain after everybody wiffs at his curveball...Castro for some reason calls for a heater. Pathetic....

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 07:56 PM)
The problem is that Pierre is actually a good defensive outfielder, he's just been horrible at judging high drifting fly balls. This has been a weakness of his. He's pretty much lost the Sox two games on his own because of his f***-ups though.

Even still he has that noodle arm. You don't want him out there in the 9th inning of a one run lead.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 09:55 PM)

Once again, there is no way it wasn't Mark's decision. Ozzie would have sent him out there if he felt up to it.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 09:55 PM)
Chw2,

Thornton had the first guy 0-2. At that point you can throw exclusively fastballs, for some reason they went offspeed and over the heart of the plate. I assure you, that is not part of mixing up pitches. Had Thornton got the first batter, its an entirely different inning. Its just the little things.

I actually am willing to give Thornton more of a chance because he atleast tried to do something different. This game was entirely execution, it wasnt predictability. Execution can be fixed (you hope).

I'm thinking that was part of the mixing-up. You'd think LaRoche would be sitting fastball in that situation. The last thing you want Matt Thornton to lose is his confidence in the fastball. He has to go back and throw exactly the way he did last year. No more junk, no more 90 MPH change-ups. Just blow the fastball and if they hit it, so be it. Letting the other team hit your mediocre off-speed crap instead of your best pitch is a terrible idea.

Thornton threw only 7 fastballs today, averaged 95.6 on them. The velocity was certainly there.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 03:56 AM)
He faced three batters and they all hit the ball hard. He wasn't fooling anyone tonight. Hasn't looked good in the closer role at all so far.

And this is not the Thornton we have seen in the past. Hopefully we can get back on track and Pierre can catch a fly ball when the game is on the line. That's the bottom line regardless of how you feel about another player or managers decisions.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 09:56 PM)

I almost thought it was a Cardinal Rule that if you're tossing a shutout...and pitch count under 100...you NEVER take a guy out throwing a shutout.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 09:53 PM)
With a Juan Pierre in LF and a Carlos Quentin in RF this team seriously could use a GOOD defensive outfielder for the late innings of close games like this.

Pierre was one of the better LFs in the league last year...

I agree KW shouldve signed a top OF defensive sub in the offseason though

Tony Gwynn Jr (an elite defensive OF) basically signed w/ the dodgers for the league minimum...

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 08:45 PM)
How, again, is Thornton not a closer? His D has screwed him for the second time. His stuff didn't vaporize overnight.

You seeing many swing and misses? I'm not.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 10:00 PM)
Guillen just said that the ball that Pierre dropped wasn't easy because there is a wall near him. Yeah that's some awesome logic there. Lmao

It wasn't exactly routine. There was wind taking it towards the stands. You see the ball Suzuki dropped in foul territory? The wind was making the ball drift tonight. Still, there's no freaking excuse for missing that ball.

When you have a guy 0-2 and they are sitting fastball, a fastball that is high and out of the zone is likely a strike out pitch. Its not like Im reinventing the wheel here, most pitchers go to their "out" pitch with 2 strikes. Thornton's would be a fastball. You only have to show offspeed, its just to make the batter think for an extra split second.

Edited by Soxbadger