Juan Pierre

Jordan4life_2007

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 11:07 PM)
He gave up a leadoff double and then a rocket that luckily went right at Konerko. Then he gave up a bomb to the warning track. He was likely going to blow that game.

And he could have easily gotten the third out on the next batter.

Might be for the best if Ozzie finally yanks Thornton out from being the closer. I'd rather Thornton be 0-3 in save chances then something like 20-30.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 03:12 AM)
I believe Thornton deserves a solid month until removed from the role. I'm sorry. He's been too good for too long. I just can't believe the 9th inning is that big a difference from the 8th inning.

It can be though, and who knows, he might struggle just as much in the 8th inning right now. His stuff just isn't that good for the time being. Can't keep blowing games though, as it's not like you're letting Mariano Rivera work his way through some issues.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 10:12 PM)
I believe Thornton deserves a solid month until removed from the role. I'm sorry. He's been too good for too long. I just can't believe the 9th inning is that big a difference from the 8th inning.

How many chances does he get? We have 3 blown saves already and he's recorded exactly zero successfully, hell, he hasn't even come close to closing a game. I think the experiment is over now, before we give away any more games just for the sake of 1 player.

A month? You have to be kidding. So if he blows 3 more saves in, say, 2 weeks... still keep his ass out there??? I really hope you just worded that incorrectly.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 11:12 PM)

But it is. It's not like the sample size of a new guy trying to close is limited to Thornton. We've seen tons of players all across MLB struggle when thrown into the closer role.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 10:14 PM)
How many chances does he get? We have 3 blown saves already and he's recorded exactly zero successfully, hell, he hasn't even come close to closing a game. I think the experiment is over now, before we give away any more games just for the sake of 1 player.

And you're denying with sufficient defense he'd have blown the last two? Don't get me wrong. I'm not letting Matt off the hook. But I just don't feel all that confident in letting Santos take over the role.

That first sentence didn't sound right. But I'm drunk and I know you can understand what I meant.

Edited by Jordan4life

Oh and while blaming Pierre is perfecty legit, because wtf...note that other pitchers on our team had to pitch over errors or dropped foul balls (like Beckhams tonight) and have done just that. Thornton hasn't even looked to come close in recording easy outs, fooling anyone, or being able to pitch over errors...all things a closer needs to be able to do.

And you're denying with sufficient defense he'd have blown the last two? Don't get me wrong. I'm not letting Matt off the hook. But I just don't feel all that confident in letting Santos take over the role.

Santos CLEARLY has a better arsenal to be a closer and Thornton is not himself while he's in this role. You don't play around with shut like this and give away games; you try something else and try to find something that works. It's clear Thornton is not adjusting to this role; get him out and where he's comfortable (not to mention what's more logical) before any more damage is done on the team, much less Matt's mentality.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 10:14 PM)
A month? You have to be kidding. So if he blows 3 more saves in, say, 2 weeks... still keep his ass out there??? I really hope you just worded that incorrectly.

Sale? A rookie who hasn't exactly flourished this year? Santos? Would we really be any worse off if we left Thornton in the role for now?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 10:12 PM)

No, terrible. 3 straight blown saves? I don't give a f*** if he had nobody playing defense at all.

Did Jenks ever have 3 straight blown saves?

We can't afford this crap. There are other options and Thornton, IMO, has proven all there is to prove.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 04:18 AM)
Sale? A rookie who hasn't exactly flourished this year? Santos? Would we really be any worse off if we left Thornton in the role for now?

Yes...Santos is our long term closer of the future anyways. Put Thornton in the 8th inning, as he's going to be there anyways when Sale becomes a starter.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 10:17 PM)
Santos CLEARLY has a better arsenal to be a closer and Thornton is not himself while he's in this role. You don't play around with shut like this and give away games; you try something else and try to find something that works. It's clear Thornton is not adjusting to this role; get him out and where he's comfortable (not to mention what's more logical) before any more damage is done on the team, much less Matt's mentality.

Note that the Cubs took who was pretty much the best 8th inning guy I've ever seen (Hawkins), moved him to closer where he failed...kept him there in hopes he'd pitch through it...and effectively ruined his career. He never recovered.

I'd like to not see that happen to Thornon, and right now, that's exactly what I see, despite it bring early to call this that way, I am anyway...because it's my opinion that the same thing is occurring right before our eyes. Thornton doesnt even look close to comfortable.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 03:20 AM)
Note that the Cubs took who was pretty much the best 8th inning guy I've ever seen (Hawkins), moved him to closer where he failed...kept him there in hopes he'd pitch through it...and effectively ruined his career. He never recovered.

I'd like to not see that happen to Thornon, and right now, that's exactly what I see, despite it bring early to call this that way, I am anyway...because it's my opinion that the same thing is occurring right before our eyes. Thornton doesnt even look close to comfortable.

I'm with you 100% on this

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 10:19 PM)
No, terrible. 3 straight blown saves? I don't give a f*** if he had nobody playing defense at all.

Did Jenks ever have 3 straight blown saves?

We can't afford this crap. There are other options and Thornton, IMO, has proven all there is to prove.

I respectfully disagree with you and others who have made good points. Believe me, I recognize how fragile the closer role is. I just can't get behind Matt's stuff not being sufficient enough. We're not talking Fernando Rodney or Brandon Lyons here.

I don't know how many times people need to see s*** like that before they believe that risks like these aren't worth taking. Thornton has had nothing at all yet on his fastball and can't seem get anything but a hard hit ball.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 10:20 PM)

Great point....

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 10:23 PM)
I don't know how many times people need to see s*** like that before they believe that risks like these aren't worth taking. Thornton has had nothing at all yet on his fastball and can't seem get anything but a hard hit ball.

And it needs to be done sooner than later. Note that Hawkins was returned to the 8th inning spot after leaving the Cubs, and never returned to form...they ruined him mentally, and that's what Thornton looks like right now...mentally defeated. Pierre is a footnote in this...the fact that Thornton hasn't recorded a single easy out, or looked dominating over any hitter thus far is alarming...and it could end up costing us more than just a few games, but the best setup man in the game the last few years running.