White Sox vs. Oakland A's

justBLAZE

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 03:32 PM)
Cowley:

And I agree.

Not sure, but, in hindsight, certainly more logical giving someone with a track record of success the closer's role rather than gambling on Thornton.

Most likely, Putz's injury history scared them away from a long-term deal.

UNFORTUNATELY, "All In" has become the philosophy for the White Sox bullpen now...letting all the runs in to score and lose the game.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 04:32 PM)
Cowley:

And I agree.

man i miss Putz, hes a great guy.. i remember him tweeting pictures of his adventures in wicker park at night and of random peoples vomit and guessing what they had for dinner. :crying

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 09:35 PM)
Jenks was terrible last year and his WHIP and ERA had gotten worse for 3 straight seasons. The only positive sign at all for him was that his K rate was up lst year from the previous 2 seasons. I don't fault the Sox at all for not bringing him back especially at that salary.

Jon Rauch had a better chance of returning to the Sox than Jenks did after last season's off the field issues.

the following are the things that stupify me about todays game (i know i am being redundant with some of them, but this is irritating me that much)

if you come out publicly and say Thornton is your closer, then thornton is your closer

If not, and sale is your closer, then ok. But if sale is your closer and you bring him in winning by 3, then he is your f***ign closer and you leave him in there with a men on 1st and 2nd and 0 out up by 2.

If you then decide that Sale isn't your closer because he gave up 3 straight hits, and Jesse crain is going to be your closer, and you allow crain to pitch with bases loaded an 0 outs, then you allow crain to pitch with bases loaded and 1 out.

More than all that though, if you aren't smart enough as a manager to realize that 3-4 tough games for a reliever (2 of which your LF dropped easy fly balls that would have won the game), isn't nearly as indicative of a guys potential as pitcher as his stellar previous 3 years (and 200 innings) of work, then you aren't smart enough to be a manager in major league baseball

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 10:33 PM)
That's it. That's really all the Sox can do.

By the way, in the old days today would have been a complete game easy win, as would

Mark's the other day.

It's simply absurd this pitch count crap.

Eight innings of greatness, then you have to take the guy out lest you ruin his arm.

Utter crap.

I think the pitch count thing is really a reaction to the huge salaries don't you? Protect the investment kind of thing. I agree that it may be taken too far though. Different game then it used to be. I remember the 1967 Sox for instance having 20 complete game pitchers on staff. Now some of the best starters have none over the course of a year

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 09:36 PM)
Close and delete this thread.

Hit the gym, get a beer, watch the bulls and hawks.

Take a breath, back at it on Friday.

Can we just skip the Weaver/Haren games? Good stuff in here though Rock, have a fun night tonight!

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 09:36 PM)
I think this loss is going to put a few people here in the penalty box here on soxtalk...

I hope not. The game threads are different from regular threads.

They bring out the worst because of the anger in the Sox blowing games.

No, it's not a true statement, it's an opinion. Idiot. And this shows how much of an idiot you are.

You don't know fact from opinion.

Thornton has fallen apart mentally. Sale has not looked good. Pena has been terrible. Ohman has been inconsistent.

Santos and Crain are the only ones who have looked overall decent or have appeared to have good control/mentality lately.

So what can we derive from this as intelligent human beings? One of those 2 is the more logical choice. Doi. At very least it's an "assumption" that has VASTLY more credibility than yours.

Don't be mad at me because you lack basic thinking skills... rofl

EDIT: LOL at Ozzie saying "s***" uncensored twice during the post game conference.

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 04:28 PM)
i agree w/this - let Matt get his confidence back. And maybe learn an effective secondary pitch. They're just sitting dead red.

Matt has been dominant with basically just a fastball for 3 years. Teams haven't suddenly figured him out just because he is pitching in the 9th inning. He isn't locating the fastball as well as he has in the past and his velocity seems down a bit. His slider is also worse than usual and it isn't surprising he is getting hammered.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 09:37 PM)
the following are the things that stupify me about todays game (i know i am being redundant with some of them, but this is irritating me that much)

if you come out publicly and say Thornton is your closer, then thornton is your closer

If not, and sale is your closer, then ok. But if sale is your closer and you bring him in winning by 3, then he is your f***ign closer and you leave him in there with a men on 1st and 2nd and 0 out up by 2.

If you then decide that Sale isn't your closer because he gave up 3 straight hits, and Jesse crain is going to be your closer, and you allow crain to pitch with bases loaded an 0 outs, then you allow crain to pitch with bases loaded and 1 out.

More than all that though, if you aren't smart enough as a manager to realize that 3-4 tough games for a reliever (2 of which your LF dropped easy fly balls that would have won the game), isn't nearly as indicative of a guys potential as pitcher as his stellar previous 3 years (and 200 innings) of work, then you aren't smart enough to be a manager in major league baseball

Great stuff in here...I'm still shocked Crain didn't start the 9th with two righties starting the 9th inning. It's like Ozzie was more scared of Matsui than anything else.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 03:58 PM)
So you're just guessing what happened then. Gotcha.

With you're logic why don't you praise Chris Sale for leaving the game with a hold?

No Thornton sucked again you keep defending him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 10:36 PM)
Not sure, but, in hindsight, certainly more logical giving someone with a track record of success the closer's role rather than gambling on Thornton.

Most likely, Putz's injury history scared them away from a long-term deal.

UNFORTUNATELY, "All In" has become the philosophy for the White Sox bullpen now...letting all the runs in to score and lose the game.

Putz blew a game a day or so ago for Az too

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 04:38 PM)
I hope not. The game threads are different from regular threads.

They bring out the worst because of the anger in the Sox blowing games.

No, that's not what happened at all.

A poster does not like that I base my opinions of baseball on "assumptions", which is what second guessing is, and calls me an inept idiot.

That's what happened. And the response he got from me was deserved.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 09:38 PM)
Matt has been dominant with basically just a fastball for 3 years. Teams haven't suddenly figured him out just because he is pitching in the 9th inning. He isn't locating the fastball as well as he has in the past and his velocity seems down a bit. His slider is also worse than usual and it isn't surprising he is getting hammered.

People seem to forget he fell apart physically, and in some ways mentally, last year. Will he ever recover? His next outing has got to come in a non-pressure situation.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 09:38 PM)
I think the pitch count thing is really a reaction to the huge salaries don't you? Protect the investment kind of thing. I agree that it may be taken too far though. Different game then it used to be. I remember the 1967 Sox for instance having 20 complete game pitchers on staff. Now some of the best starters have none over the course of a year

I guess, but it sure would have been nice and maybe even set a tone for the season

to have Mark and Danks simply finish the ninth. There's something to be said about nice,

clean baseball victories in April. But no, their arms would fall off so you

can't let a guy finish a game.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 04:38 PM)
Can we just skip the Weaver/Haren games? Good stuff in here though Rock, have a fun night tonight!

Not worth getting too worked up about.

And I have 2 tix to sat if anyone wants them, I'll be I Vegas.

LETS GO HAWKS

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 10:40 PM)
I guess, but it sure would have been nice and maybe even set a tone for the season

to have Mark and Danks simply finish the ninth. There's something to be said about nice,

clean baseball victories in April. But no, their arms would fall off so you

can't let a guy finish a game.

I admit I was hoping to see both finish too

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 09:40 PM)
Not worth getting too worked up about.

There's a lot of clarity knowing that if this team underachieves, at least it means the likely end of the KW/Ozzie regime. This bullpen is making it very hard to "like" this team right now, as they already have 4 just heartbreaking losses.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 09:39 PM)
No, that's not what happened at all.

A poster does not like that I base my opinions of baseball on "assumptions", which is what second guessing is, and calls me an inept idiot.

That's what happened. And the response he got from me was deserved.

Judging from the past then, he's prolly going to get a vacation and you too.

Unless the rules have changed a bit. I hope nobody gets vacationed.