It can...

hi8is

Our pen will get straightened out.

Adam Dunn is back in the lineup.

Juan Pierre can't keep making so many errors and mental mistakes.

We're 7 and 5 after playing some of the worst ball possible... Let's take this as a sign that this team will be down right dangerous when our ship is righted.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 10:02 PM)
I agree completely. I'm not punting the season because the bullpen sucks on April 13th. Now if a month from now we're having the same issues, I will dominate.

Stop being so f'in pessimistic J4L.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 03:54 AM)

We're 7 and 5 after playing some of the worst ball possible... Let's take this as a sign that this team will be down right dangerous when our ship is righted.

I hoipe you are right.

As far as Pierre and our outfielders (remember Rios dropped a fly ball last night too) it's been funny to see our outfielders really squeeze the mitt on fly balls lately since the bobbles, except for Rios. He's kinda casual.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 04:31 AM)
God damn it, we're supposed to be 11-1.

I think it's fair to point out how s***ty the losses have been, especially considering this "All In" thing.

We should have seen this coming with no established closer.

But ... if Sergio is as good as he appears to be, and the other relievers get their head out of their ass for a few batters at a time, we could still be OK bullpen wise.

If Sergio fails ... man. You do need a closer to win divisions.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 08:54 PM)

I dunno, it's such a shame the pen sucks. There may come a time when our pitching or hitting tail off a bit and we need the pen to pick it up.

But really don't like the move to sale. Even if he did close the game. If hes worried about starters finishing there own games after 8 innings then he should be worried about pitching sale in a day game after pitching 2 innings the night before

Edited by soxsider11

QUOTE (hi8is @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 09:54 PM)

Sorry...I do not agree at all we are playing the worst baseball possible.

Our lineup is hitting the cover off the ball, in general, at an unsustainable statistical clip that won't last the whole season.

Our starters are pitching out of their heads, with a sick era overall, at an unsustainable statistical clip that won't last the whole season.

Our defense and closers are playing as bad as you can imagine, at an unsustainable statistical clip that won't last the whole season.

So, many things are sort of all over the map right now. I feel our record reflects a schizophrenic performance, if anything.

I agree we are fine. But a game in April counts as much as a game in September. Losing games when you downright outplay a team for 8 innings could hurt eventually. Players need to turn it around quickly before it becomes a mental thing (like teahen's complete inability to throw from third to first. Well that may be lack of skill too)

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 11:30 PM)
Sorry...I do not agree at all we are playing the worst baseball possible.

Our lineup is hitting the cover off the ball, in general, at an unsustainable statistical clip that won't last the whole season.

Our starters are pitching out of their heads, with a sick era overall, at an unsustainable statistical clip that won't last the whole season.

Our defense and closers are playing as bad as you can imagine, at an unsustainable statistical clip that won't last the whole season.

So, many things are sort of all over the map right now. I feel our record reflects a schizophrenic performance, if anything.

um i think our starters are doing exactly what I'd expect. MB had two s***ty games, one good. EJax 1 good one great one meh, Danks same thing, Floyd 1 good one bad, Humber one good.

How's that unsustainable?

we'll be 8-7 after the angels series (we're not beating Haren and Weaver, put that on the board), and could easily be swept if the Sox pull another gem like today in the Humber game

dear god this team is a mess right now

QUOTE (Real @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 01:43 AM)
we'll be 8-7 after the angels series (we're not beating Haren and Weaver, put that on the board), and could easily be swept if the Sox pull another gem like today in the Humber game

Ive been skeptical of this team but that's pretty exaggerated.

QUOTE (Real @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 12:43 AM)

Dan Haren is 0-1 with a 4.67 ERA in 3 career starts against the White Sox. Jered Weaver has been unbelievable in his career against the Sox but is 4-2 in career games.

Beyond that, they've had, by my estimate, 2 weak and 2 mediocre offensive games in 12 games this year. They are hitting the ball really well right now.

Overreaction, thy name is you.

QUOTE (Real @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 11:43 PM)

A mess?!? Playing bad baseball at the most inopportune times...yes. Bullpen sucking eggs...yes. But nothing to push the panic button on IMO. Haren and Weaver do not scare me really. Ozzie just needs to get a handle on the pen...and it's obvious Santos needs to be given the chance. This closer by committee crap I'm not real comfortable with. Didn't work out too well with the DH last year...so what made him think it would work out with the pen?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 01:17 AM)
Damn you yelling baby quit being the voice of reason.

Its so much easier to proclaim that a baseball season is over.

It's just ridiculous. I've honestly never seen this board so polarized before.

Personally, the bullpen is a very legitimate concern for me right now, but I'm pretty sure it will sort itself out over time. It's just so early that I can't get worked up about it.

It's weird. In years' past, I would have been stressed and freaked over losses like the Sox have had this year, but this year I'm...I don't know...content. You can't let wins get you too far up, nor losses too far down. It's a long season. I think, come July, we won't even be thinking about those games. Come mid to late August, we will look back and realize that if the Sox had won 2 of those games, they'd be 6 or 7 games up instead of 4 or 5. And come late September, when the Sox clinch, we'll be pissed that they didn't win them because they don't have homefield in the ALCS or some s***.

It sucks, but this lack of bullpen success is completely unsustainable. It will get better, the sun will rise tomorrow, and they'll play baseball again.

I miss Bobby.

But I do agree that eventually Thornton and Sale will get their act together. 4 blown saves in the first 12 games of the year must be a MLB record.

I think the best thing we can do now is make Sergio the closer if we can get into that position on Friday night and put everyone underneath him. Will be a good test to see if he has the mettle as he has closer like stuff.

These are some very good arms in the bullpen that are struggling, so I'm confident most of them (if not all) will get their s*** together. The only one that really scares me is Thornton, specifically as the closer, I think he may now not be mentally "there" for that role. But it would be basically impossible for them to continue like this, it just won't happen.

And this team, by my read going into the season, had 4 above average, 2 average and 2 below average starting fielders on it defensively... so I highly doubt the errors keep up like this. This will also improve.

And really, the starting pitchers mostly struggled the first time through the rotation, but they seem to be getting it together now, and then Peavy should show up in a couple weeks or so. So this area should get stronger too.

The only area the team has been outperforming is with the bats, and even that is not fully across the board. TCQ has already come back to earth, so has Beckham to an extent. And we now have Dunn back, and he should be back to full health soon. There will be drop-off offensively, but not massively so.

So yeah, I agree with the sentiment that this team is probably going to get better, not worse.