4/15 Games

danman31

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 15, 2011 -> 09:12 PM)
Could've had Trout. Instead, we take another college football player with a long swing.

A high schooler with our 1st round pick? Unheard of.

I still can't find fault with the Mitchell pick though.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 15, 2011 -> 08:12 PM)
Could've had Trout. Instead, we take another college football player with a long swing.

Stop. Most of the league passed on Trout, it's not like we took a college pitcher who maxes out at 90 mph. Mitchell still has a ton of upside, certainly not time to give up on him.

Trout certainly would have been considered the more aggressive pick, considering that's what their new drafting philosophy is supposedly.

They were probably wanting a leadoff hitter that's closer to the big leagues than some high school player. Well, that high school player is now in AA, and Mitchell is at Winston-Salem. Yes, I know he missed a year, but still.

I'm just not feeling Mitchell will be anything. Hope I'm wrong, but it's still going to take a couple years to find out.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 15, 2011 -> 11:25 PM)
Trout certainly would have been considered the more aggressive pick, considering that's what their new drafting philosophy is supposedly.

They were probably wanting a leadoff hitter that's closer to the big leagues then some high school player. Well, that high school player is now in AA, and Mitchell is at Winston-Salem. Yes, I know he missed a year, but still.

I'm just not feeling Mitchell will be anything. Hope I'm wrong, but it's still going to take a couple years to find out.

Two years ago I said a sleeper prospect for the 09 draft was Brandon Belt, the 1b from UT. I'd seen him on TV and in games in person to say that with his sweet swing, he could have been a solid pickup for the Pale Hose. Instead he fell 5 rounds plus a few comp rounds before SFG drafted him.

My two cents is that it's useless complaining about baseball drafts anymore. It's a crapshoot.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 15, 2011 -> 11:25 PM)

They were probably wanting a leadoff hitter that's closer to the big leagues than some high school player. Well, that high school player is now in AA, and Mitchell is at Winston-Salem. Yes, I know he missed a year, but still.

Mitchell was a very aggressive pick.