This year will end before the trade deadline with a firesale

johndyce

And I'm not talking Chris FireSale

Think about it. Peavy aint coming back to being a good pitcher. The offense has shown the same problems they have had since I can remember (I am 25) that really only were eliminated briefly for the 2005 season: a lack of fundamentals (e.g. bunting, moving batters over), too much emphasis on the home run, and just a general inability to get guys on base with singles (we get walks but NOBODY in the middle of the order except pauly has shown the ability to just get on base). The defense obviously sucks with two of the most important defensive positions (CF and 3B) being extremely shotty in the first two weeks of the season. Pitching wise, enough has been said about the bullpen, and without Peavy, we have no dominant pitcher, and a bunch of guys that can keep a game close but nobody who can put the team on their shoulders and dominate for 3-4 starts at a time.

So what we're stuck with is a middle of the road team, aging, with a MASSIVE payroll. Hell the Indians and Royals' payrolls combined don't even come close to the Sox. Sox fans will never fill up the stadium unless the team is in first place in the MLB and in the playoffs. They just don't have the income. This is the south side--a lot of people are struggling to make it. It's not like the cubs with a bunch of college kids looking to party with mom and dad's money every day during the summer.

What will happen? Reinsdorf is going to get fed up with losing money and playing guys like Dunn and Peavy top money not to pay and not to put asses in the seats. So I predict by the end of the year we say goodbye to mulitple players who are doing well, including Dunn and including Peavy (although no team in their right mind would take him without the sox giving them a ton of cash). This will be a rebuilding year boys. Get ready for it. Remember in the mid 90s when they traded away blackjack and the rest of the team? it's coming again.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 07:38 PM)
I agree with this and don't see it as a bad thing. Williams needs to go too.

Completely agree. Someone made the point that he has been playing with house money since 05 and its completely true. You give this guy an open checkbook and this is the s*** that he produces? He has basically traded away the farm for a team that has nowhere to go but down. Beckham is the only player on the team with any true potential and that has demonstrated success. Sale is also promising. That's it. That's what we have to look forward to.

At least ticket prices should fall when they sell out :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 07:41 PM)
I'm torn on Kenny. What type of GM would thrive in this environment where fans never come out?

Yeah it's gotta be rough. Like I said about the fan market--people in Chicago don't switch teams. The city isn't going to be a white sox team if they are good for five years. It would take a LONG time.

QUOTE (johndyce @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)
Completely agree. Someone made the point that he has been playing with house money since 05 and its completely true. You give this guy an open checkbook and this is the s*** that he produces? He has basically traded away the farm for a team that has nowhere to go but down. Beckham is the only player on the team with any true potential and that has demonstrated success. Sale is also promising. That's it. That's what we have to look forward to.

At least ticket prices should fall when they sell out :gosoxretro:

Williams has frittered away an amazing amount of resources (players and cash) since 2007.

If there's a firesale, the people who will be dealt are Buehrle, Danks, Thornton, Quentin and Rios. Peavy might be the worst contract in all of baseball right now (up there with Zito and Soriano), and it's not likely teams would jump on Konerko and Dunn yet. Maybe it's me, but after looking at KW's awful trades of late, I'd be hesitant to see him wheeling and dealing so many of our core players.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 01:54 PM)
And yet, the team has made money.

Perhaps they should hire some financial analysts to figure out some better ticket pricing strategies. Sure would make a heck of a lot more sense to fill up the stadium, even if tickets are lowered to $10 or less, than to have the place at 30 or 40% capacity so often. You make up all of that money in concessions.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 01:59 PM)
No matter what anyone says, the thread title is a very real possibility given the current state of this team.

If we are in this state at the end of May, early June, I agree. On April 18th this is just a waste of e-space.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 01:57 PM)
Perhaps they should hire some financial analysts to figure out some better ticket pricing strategies. Sure would make a heck of a lot more sense to fill up the stadium, even if tickets are lowered to $10 or less, than to have the place at 30 or 40% capacity so often. You make up all of that money in concessions.

An emphatic no.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 01:59 PM)
No matter what anyone says, the thread title is a very real possibility given the current state of this team.

Because they are a game up on their toughest competition and a half game back of the next toughest team. I won't worry about CLE & KC til June & July come around and they are still up there.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 01:57 PM)

Seems like this is something the Bulls must do. I get their "mobile alerts" and a couple times a week, either the day of or day before a game, they send promo codes for reduced priced tickets. I can't ever make it because I don't live near Chicago, but I think it would be something for them to look into.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 02:07 PM)
Seems like this is something the Bulls must do. I get their "mobile alerts" and a couple times a week, either the day of or day before a game, they send promo codes for reduced priced tickets. I can't ever make it because I don't live near Chicago, but I think it would be something for them to look into.

There are a ton of White Sox discount codes out there. Hell they are all posted here.

Next excuse...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 02:08 PM)
There are a ton of White Sox discount codes out there. Hell they are all posted here.

Next excuse...

For all 81 games?

I'm saying if you know the day of the game that only 14K tickets have been sold, announce $5 walk up tickets.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 02:11 PM)
For all 81 games?

Most importantly, it seems it is the non-prime days. We sure don't have "30-40% of capacity" 81 games a year. Otherwise our average attendance would be 10-15k a night. Even bringing in 20k is over 50% at our park.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 02:13 PM)
Most importantly, it seems it is the non-prime days. We sure don't have "30-40% of capacity" 81 games a year. Otherwise our average attendance would be 10-15k a night. Even bringing in 20k is over 50% at our park.

We should do whatever it takes to average 90% capacity. What is the benefit of empty seats?