This year will end before the trade deadline with a firesale

johndyce

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 09:32 PM)
The Dunn contract was praised for being a great deal in contrast to the Werth/Crawford deals.

I think we still have a good deal and player. It will be fun times when he starts to hit like we know he can

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 03:54 PM)
;) nice

2003 White Sox look like the best team in baseball as late as early September

2004 White Sox have pieces, but fall short due to injuries

2005 World Series

2006 Best team in baseball for most of the first half of the season, along with Tigers, 90 wins

2007 Not so much

2008 A Carlos Quentin injury away from being a legit World Series contender

2010 White Sox go 38-13 and with a seemingly healthy Jake Peavy, look like one of the best teams in baseball

Outside of the Yankees, Red Sox and Angels, no team has had that kind of run this decade. Whatever you say about the Twins beating us, they've never been seriously considered to be capable of winning it all or the best team in the game.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 02:16 PM)
Maybe somebody should start a "Priceline" type business dealing with sports tickets. Instead of getting empty hotel rooms, etc... cheap, you get empty seats at sporting events cheap.

Just throwing it out there that this already exists.. http://mashable.com/2010/12/15/scorebig/

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 06:06 PM)
Outside of the Yankees, Red Sox and Angels, no team has had that kind of run this decade. Whatever you say about the Twins beating us, they've never been seriously considered to be capable of winning it all or the best team in the game.

You can say some of that about the Twins though. Last year they looked like a legit threat until meeting the Yankees, and on top of that they'd lost Morneau and Nathan. In 2006 they had a shot at blazing through on the arms of 2 of the best LHP in baseball but lost Liriano for years due to his elbow.

Here's a question for y'all.

If this season is "Ova" before the trade deadline, it's highly unlikely that the Chairman will change GMs before the "Firesale' happens.

Are you content with KW being the guy whose job is to dismantle this team for whatever he can get mid-season?

The following people should go on the record stating that there will be a fire sale on July 31, 2011:

johndyce

Marty34

Milkman delivers

If others can't watch this team and will continue to gripe about prices, then why follow these teams? Also, is Boston or the Cubs going to have a fire sale because they are underachieving in terms of records?

Cubs: 8-8

NYY: 9-5

Boston: 5-10

Also...why should the Sox offer discount codes when the Cubs suck for a vast majority of that 81 games and still charge full price? $5 tickets? How about no? Buy the standing room only and watch the game if you can't afford it.

Edited by MuckFinnesota

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 06:43 PM)
Also...why should the Sox offer discount codes when the Cubs suck for a vast majority of that 81 games and still charge full price? $5 tickets? How about no? Buy the standing room only and watch the game if you can't afford it.

The ticket prices charged by the Cubs should only be a very tangential consideration for the White Sox, in the sense that the 2 teams are partially competing for the same casual fans and pricepoint might matter for them. The Sox shouldn't set prices based on the Cubs unless the Sox are trying to undercut the Cubs's price point. Otherwise, the Sox's business model should be set such that the Sox are trying to maximize revenue...which doesn't always mean a packed stadium.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 05:47 PM)
The ticket prices charged by the Cubs should only be a very tangential consideration for the White Sox, in the sense that the 2 teams are partially competing for the same casual fans and pricepoint might matter for them. The Sox shouldn't set prices based on the Cubs unless the Sox are trying to undercut the Cubs's price point. Otherwise, the Sox's business model should be set such that the Sox are trying to maximize revenue...which doesn't always mean a packed stadium.

How are the Sox prices compared to the Cubs prices though?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 04:28 PM)
Here's a question for y'all.

If this season is "Ova" before the trade deadline, it's highly unlikely that the Chairman will change GMs before the "Firesale' happens.

Are you content with KW being the guy whose job is to dismantle this team for whatever he can get mid-season?

Nope. I'd rather stand pat, fire our lousy GM and manager, and give the new guy the chance to trade our heavily priced veterans. I agree with the title of this thread, btw. Unless something really hard to forsee happens. A bad bullpen and defense is a recipe for failure, especially if our offense is going to go cold.

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 05:43 PM)
The following people should go on the record stating that there will be a fire sale on July 31, 2011:

johndyce

Marty34

Milkman delivers

If others can't watch this team and will continue to gripe about prices, then why follow these teams? Also, is Boston or the Cubs going to have a fire sale because they are underachieving in terms of records?

Cubs: 8-8

NYY: 9-5

Boston: 5-10

I never said there would be a firesale. I've said that it's a very real possibility based on what has happened so far. Perhaps you should put more time into reading and less into feeling sorry for yourself.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 06:03 PM)
Nope. I'd rather stand pat, fire our lousy GM and manager, and give the new guy the chance to trade our heavily priced veterans. I agree with the title of this thread, btw. Unless something really hard to forsee happens. A bad bullpen and defense is a recipe for failure, especially if our offense is going to go cold.

This.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 06:15 PM)
I never said there would be a firesale. I've said that it's a very real possibility based on what has happened so far. Perhaps you should put more time into reading and less into feeling sorry for yourself.

There is also a very strong possibility that the White Sox will make the playoffs in spite of what has happened so far. And I am done posting here about my life; that is something I have to figure out on my own.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 06:39 PM)
Why do people care about attendance? Either you want this team kept together or you don't.

At some point, the only way to keep this team together will be to justify the high payroll against the team's performance. Let the record show that you echoed that "the year will end before the trade deadline with a fire sale" so clearly you don't think the team will be kept together.

Edited by MuckFinnesota

When is the scheduled date for the sky to fall?

I can't wait to celebrate Quentin's 100th double of the season since that's what he's on pace for.

I will never understand being a "fan" and looking at a team like this. Why even watch? Give the team you wait 6 months for to start 3 weeks and the seasons over, teams never go on streaks of like 25-5 or anything.

Edited by Jenksy Cat

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 06:44 PM)
At some point, the only way to keep this team together will be to justify the high payroll against the team's performance. Let the record show that you echoed that "the year will end before the trade deadline with a fire sale" so clearly you don't think the team will be kept together.

How about this I don't think it should be kept together. I highly doubt Reinsdorf will do another White Flag, meaning if they're within say 6-7 games of a playoff spot they keep the team together.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 06:47 PM)
When is the scheduled date for the sky to fall?

I can't wait to celebrate Quentin's 100th double of the season since that's what he's on pace for.

I will never understand being a "fan" and looking at a team like this. Why even watch? Give the team you wait 6 months for to start 3 weeks and the seasons over, teams never go on streaks of like 25-5 or anything.

I think it's a bad fan who gets suckered by a 25-5 streak into believing a team is a World Series contender.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 06:57 PM)
I think it's a bad fan who gets suckered by a 25-5 streak into believing a team is a World Series contender.

Not nearly as bad as assuming your team will have a historically bad bullpen and defense after 16 games.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 04:19 PM)
With four playoff appearances to show for it, being shown the door immediately in 3 of those 4 opportunities.

Always just good enough to be relevant, but just bad enough to not make a splash.

Hello Minnesota Twins?

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 07:00 PM)
Not nearly as bad as assuming your team will have a historically bad bullpen and defense after 16 games.

Over their last 340 games they are 174-166. Take out the 25-5 stretch last year, they are 149-161. Not a World Series contender.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 07:35 PM)
Over their last 340 games they are 174-166. Take out the 25-5 stretch last year, they are 149-161. Not a World Series contender.

Travel 8.2 miles north of the Cell, come back to the south side and be grateful for what you have. You can't judge who is a World Series contender is in April. So the drought might continue for many more years - people came out and watched the games before 2005 happened.