This year will end before the trade deadline with a firesale

johndyce

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 07:42 PM)
Travel 8.2 miles north of the Cell, come back to the south side and be grateful for what you have. You can't judge who is a World Series contender is in April. So the drought might continue for many more years - people came out and watched the games before 2005 happened.

When you spend the money the Sox have spent, a .510 winning percentage over the last 341 games does not cut it.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 08:24 PM)
Oh God, am I tired of being compared to other losers. And despite them having short playoff appearances, they've had many more appearances in a much shorter span of time.

Beating us in the process.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 08:24 PM)
Oh God, am I tired of being compared to other losers. And despite them having short playoff appearances, they've had many more appearances in a much shorter span of time.

And I am tired of the expectations of winning the world series every year

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 06:28 PM)
And I am tired of the expectations of winning the world series every year

I'm tired of our GM telling us that his expectations are to win the World Series every year and then having a s***ty baseball team.

Edited by Knackattack

People keep asking who's out there? If you want Ozzie and KW gone who do you replace them with? The answer is I have no f***ing clue. I didn't know who I wanted when we were trying to replace Manuel back in '03. Certainly not Ozzie. And anybody who says they wanted Ozzie outside of knowing he once played SS for the White Sox is lying. Nobody knew who the hell KW was outside of that he once played for the Sox. That's it. I want a Theo Epstein, Andrew Friedman, Alex ASFSADFSGA type. A younger, not so stubborn GM, who realizes how critical long-term success is. Not just emptying out your eggs into one basket every year. A GM that's more innovative. Not so old-school. That realizes the importance of advanced statistical analysis. The game is changing, evolving every year. For a manager, I want one that realizes the times were in. The league were in. One who's not stubborn to a fault and gets the most out of his personal. Realizes his players' strength and weaknesses. I don't want entertainment. Ozzie's swearing and soundbites were cool back in '06. It's old now.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 08:54 PM)
People keep asking who's out there? If you want Ozzie and KW gone who do you replace them with? The answer is I have no f***ing clue. I didn't know who I wanted when we were trying to replace Manuel back in '03. Certainly not Ozzie. And anybody who says they wanted Ozzie outside of knowing he once played SS for the White Sox is lying. Nobody knew who the hell KW was outside of that he once played for the Sox. That's it. I want a Theo Epstein, Andrew Friedman, Alex ASFSADFSGA type. A younger, not so stubborn GM, who realizes how critical long-term success is. Not just emptying out your eggs into one basket every year. A GM that's more innovative. Not so old-school. That realizes the importance of advanced statistical analysis. The game is changing, evolving every year. For a manager, I want one that realizes the times were in. The league were in. One who's not stubborn to a fault and gets the most out of his personal. Realizes his players' strength and weaknesses. I don't want entertainment. Ozzie's swearing and soundbites were cool back in '06. It's old now.

:notworthy

Wow. I love this! :notworthy

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 07:54 PM)

Ya, this is one of your better posts since you went through puberty(or whatever the hell happened to you this winter), well done.

Like I said, I'm giving these two this year but if we fail(and I don't think we will) it's most certainly time to make a change.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 09:20 PM)
Ya, this is one of your better posts since you went through puberty(or whatever the hell happened to you this winter), well done.

Like I said, I'm giving these two this year but if we fail(and I don't think we will) it's most certainly time to make a change.

Quiet hater. :) I've evolved.

Anyway, yeah. Nothing is happening this year either way. But another second or third place finish and that's a wrap for me.

Totally disagree. At this time two weeks from now things will turn around. Honestly the team is way to good to continue this way. Sure the closer role is in limbo, but we have a good team.

Does anybody remember last years hot streak after Teahen got hurt? How about this year with the Red Sox & Rays hurting early this year. They bounced back, why can't we?

Seriously, if the Sox next GM doesn't have experience and is like 35 years old, all of Soxtalk will erupt because JR is cheap.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 07:11 AM)
Seriously, if the Sox next GM doesn't have experience and is like 35 years old, all of Soxtalk will erupt because JR is cheap.

I'd just like to know what Rick Hahn (besides his son winning the coin flip) and Buddy Bell have done in the last 2-3 years to warrant their inclusion in discussions of the possible/future White Sox front office.

If they're going a different route, I want any and all vestiges of the KW philosophy erased and the slate wiped completely clear.

Don't get me wrong, we will rebound. Might even get above .500 for some stretches of time. All I'm saying is that if we're below .500 at Jul 31 there will and SHOULD BE a firesale. hell, as a white sox fan, how can any of you not endorse a firesale with this team? The team as it is built is not a team that can consistently take us into the playoffs let alone ever reach another world series.

QUOTE (johndyce @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 08:49 AM)
Don't get me wrong, we will rebound. Might even get above .500 for some stretches of time. All I'm saying is that if we're below .500 at Jul 31 there will and SHOULD BE a firesale. hell, as a white sox fan, how can any of you not endorse a firesale with this team? The team as it is built is not a team that can consistently take us into the playoffs let alone ever reach another world series.

With strong starting pitching, any team can get hot at the right time and fly through the playoffs.

Even without Peavy, we still have the strongest front four of any AL Central rotation. Of course, if the bullpen continues to leak like a sieve, we're unlikely to get anywhere this year, but the Central has too much parity for one team to run away with it (as the two pre-season favorites are in 4th and 5th).

I don't think the "casual" White Sox fan would endorse a firesale because they could care less about the payroll or JR...they only want a winning team, period.

How many other teams outside of NY and Boston have been built in baseball in the last 2-3 decades to consistently make the playoffs?

The Twins, maybe? But the Twins, A's and Braves were all short in one category or another, the Indians didn't quite have enough pitching to go with their hitting, etc. The Angels? Well, they've only won one World Series title, same as us.

Unless the talent all comes at roughly the same time from the minors in 2-3 consecutive, well-timed waves, you still only have that 2-3 year window that has already closed on the Rays as quickly as it opened.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 04:42 PM)
I think a lot of Twins' fans might trade the last decade for our World Series, that's for sure.

It was interesting reading what their fans said after the post season.

Gardenhire can't win the big one. (even some would prefer Ozzie)

Mauer contract was a waste of money.

Change in organization philosophy.

Those were the big 3.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 08:12 AM)
It was interesting reading what their fans said after the post season.

Mauer contract was a waste of money.

Those were the big 3.

Twinkie fans did not like the Mauer signing??

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)
That doesn't make it intellgent for Minnesota. I know it is counterintuitive, but the right thing to do sometimes is walkaway.

I wonder if anyone would have insured his contract. That'd change the calculation a lot.