This year will end before the trade deadline with a firesale

johndyce

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 08:34 AM)
Hindsight makes that trade look completely different. At the time that was a huge haul.

The problem is the view from hindsight is reality. What you think is a huge haul turns out to be not so huge most of the time. I think unless KW is just blown away by an obvious overpay, hanging on to Danks until the end is the play. The Sox aren't in a position to go into a rebuilding mode for a couple of years. Danks helps with winning immediately. You still get draft picks if you don't sign him, and if you don't sign him you will theoretically have that money to play with.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 10:50 AM)
The problem is the view from hindsight is reality. What you think is a huge haul turns out to be not so huge most of the time. I think unless KW is just blown away by an obvious overpay, hanging on to Danks until the end is the play. The Sox aren't in a position to go into a rebuilding mode for a couple of years. Danks helps with winning immediately. You still get draft picks if you don't sign him, and if you don't sign him you will theoretically have that money to play with.

So in otherwords we can't make a deal because we might have to wait years to find out it didn't work out? Um, Ok.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
So in otherwords we can't make a deal because we might have to wait years to find out it didn't work out? Um, Ok.

No. There's can't miss prospects and there's Matt LaPorta types. Guys like Tyler Flowers, Brent Lillibridge, Jeff Marquez, Jhonny Nunez aren't guys you acquire for John Danks. Even if they give you 5 or 6 of them. You have to get a consensus top 5 prospect IMO and someone who can and has shown they can do something at the major league level now, or you're just saving money, not helping your team get better in the future, hurting the present, which in the long run will eat away any savings from moving John Danks as fewer people will be interested in paying to see your product.

Laporta was a top 25 guy. That's not nearly good enough. It needs to be one of those where KW asks for the moon because he knows he'll never get it, and winds up either getting it or something awfully close. Either that or hold on to Danks.

Edited by Dick Allen

You think someone wants Dunn's contract and is willing to give you prospects in exchange? Again, good luck with that.

Amen.. Sox could not give away Dunn now. If they put Dunn on waivers, there would be no takers, IMO.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 12:02 PM)
You think someone wants Dunn's contract and is willing to give you prospects in exchange? Again, good luck with that.

Amen.. Sox could not give away Dunn now. If they put Dunn on waivers, there would be no takers, IMO.

This couldn't be more wrong.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 11:42 AM)
No. There's can't miss prospects and there's Matt LaPorta types. Guys like Tyler Flowers, Brent Lillibridge, Jeff Marquez, Jhonny Nunez aren't guys you acquire for John Danks. Even if they give you 5 or 6 of them. You have to get a consensus top 5 prospect IMO and someone who can and has shown they can do something at the major league level now, or you're just saving money, not helping your team get better in the future, hurting the present, which in the long run will eat away any savings from moving John Danks as fewer people will be interested in paying to see your product.

Laporta was a top 25 guy. That's not nearly good enough. It needs to be one of those where KW asks for the moon because he knows he'll never get it, and winds up either getting it or something awfully close. Either that or hold on to Danks.

I don't remember anyone saying LaPorta was a mediocre prospect at the time of the deal.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 12:02 PM)

:lolhitting

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 07:25 AM)
If iamshack were a GM, he'd be one of KW's 5 favs on his cellphone.

Hah, maybe so..but that's only because I am cool as s***...:)

Dick, I am not trying to be a homer, but if you look at the desperation that occurs most years at the deadline, I think you'd be a little more open-minded about this.

Any starting pitcher that is still breathing is going to draw interest. An elite lefthanded bp arm is going to draw a ton of interest. A solid bat with a track record is going to draw interest. If the White Sox were to put up two or three solid young arms, some big bats, and some bp arms, I think there would be quite a few very-well thought of prospects heading our way.

You can call me biased all you want, but just look at the history of the trade deadline.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 01:19 PM)
I don't remember anyone saying LaPorta was a mediocre prospect at the time of the deal.

#7 draft pick, Brewers top prospect and #23 on Baseball America's list at the time of the trade. #22 was Carlos Gonzalez.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 12:07 PM)
This couldn't be more wrong.

Who would claim him? Or who would give you something of value for him? He's a DH making a ton of money. I'm happy the Sox have him because they have a need, but there aren't a lot of teams looking to spend $50 million on a DH right now, especially if he isn't hitting at the moment, and is 61 for his last 289 .211 avg with 112 strikeouts.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 05:14 PM)
It doesn't take much for this board to get to this point.

I can't believe there continue to be posts like this. How bad does this team have to get before it's "reasonable" to be upset? I mean, do they have to be the consensus worst team in baseball? Even then, it's probably not acceptable to some because at some point in the entire history of the game, some team probably went from last in all of the sport to first.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 06:36 PM)
I can't believe there continue to be posts like this. How bad does this team have to get before it's "reasonable" to be upset? I mean, do they have to be the consensus worst team in baseball? Even then, it's probably not acceptable to some because at some point in the entire history of the game, some team probably went from last in all of the sport to first.

Frankly, it has to be June.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 10:26 PM)
At this point, if we can put Rios on waivers and have someone claim him, you drive him to the airport. That's one contract that would be great to rid ourselves of.

Great post.

Might as well try it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 05:32 PM)
Who would claim him? Or who would give you something of value for him? He's a DH making a ton of money. I'm happy the Sox have him because they have a need, but there aren't a lot of teams looking to spend $50 million on a DH right now, especially if he isn't hitting at the moment, and is 61 for his last 289 .211 avg with 112 strikeouts.

Have you seen some of the offenses around MLB this year? There would be 10 teams that would claim Adam Dunn on waivers.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 07:07 PM)
Have you seen some of the offenses around MLB this year? There would be 10 teams that would claim Adam Dunn on waivers.

I'm not asking what other teams could possibly use him, I'm just asking you to name one that you could make a reasonable assumption would willing to add his contract right now. Not many teams admit they left at least $14 million in the bank before the season started.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 06:41 AM)
Develop and keep young players?

Like Gavin Floyd, John Danks, Chris Sale, Matt Thornton, Bobby Jenks, Alexei Ramirez, Carlos Quentin?

The only player on that list we actually drafted and developed is Chris Sale, a can't miss that any idiot could turn into a good player. I appreciate the effort, though.

I feel like I'm going to point this out in a ton of threads as well, but April and May games count. In fact, our performance in them was probably the #1 reason we missed the playoffs last year.

Edited by whitesoxfan101