This year will end before the trade deadline with a firesale

johndyce

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 07:13 PM)
I'm not asking what other teams could possibly use him, I'm just asking you to name one that you could make a reasonable assumption would willing to add his contract right now. Not many teams admit they left at least $14 million in the bank before the season started.

If Adam Dunn became available today. There would be a bunch of teams that would chase after him. Heck we are playing one right now that I would bet on.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 06:13 PM)
I'm not asking what other teams could possibly use him, I'm just asking you to name one that you could make a reasonable assumption would willing to add his contract right now. Not many teams admit they left at least $14 million in the bank before the season started.

Here you go with this ridiculous payroll bulls*** again. How can you possibly believe that this is how MLB teams operate? You act as if they have to pay the guy his entire salary up front or something. Jesus, just let it f***ing die already.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 07:39 PM)
The only player on that list we actually drafted and developed is Chris Sale, a can't miss that any idiot could turn into a good player. I appreciate the effort, though.

I feel like I'm going to point this out in a ton of threads as well, but April and May games count. In fact, our performance in them was probably the #1 reason we missed the playoffs last year.

Many years.

Here you go with this ridiculous payroll bulls*** again. How can you possibly believe that this is how MLB teams operate? You act as if they have to pay the guy his entire salary up front or something. Jesus, just let it f***ing die already.[/quote

Ridiculous? Dunn makes $14 million a year. They would have to pay him a ton of money this year. You're right, businesses don't operate with budgets. Not many teams have $14 million laying around to pay someone, at least they don't want to admit it, not only to their paying customers but also the union. Plus they would owe him $14 million a year for 3 years after this, and he's basically a DH. You can call adding Dunn's contract no big deal but 30 MLB teams would disagree with you.

If its no big deal, KW should throw some more money around to fix his team. And if its no big deal why didn't those teams trump the White Sox offer when Dunn was a FA?

Exactly one team claimed Alex Rios, someone who could play the field, who could run a lot better and was several years younger, and was owed about the same amount of money. Dunn has been awful his last 300 AB. No team is going to give you anything of consequence for him, and take the contract. They may trade for him but the Sox would have to eat money and that makes zero sense from a Sox perspective. Its a different world than just a couple of seasons ago. Even the Yankees are asking teams to eat some money when they want to make a trade. The facts are Dunn was a FA and Detroit and the Angels were the other teams in pursuit. Detroit dropped out when they signed Victor Martinez. The Angels have Bobby Abreu DHing, and Kendrys Morales back eventually. They wouldn't offer what the White Sox offered so they passed. Why would they be willing to pay now?

Its also ironic a guy who was pissed when the Sox signed Konerko because Derek Lee was a cheaper option, is upset about talk of money. Most of baseball's moves these days are based upon money. Get used to it.

Edited by Dick Allen

All kinds of teams that expect to be competitive leave room in their budget to make additions at the trade deadline. Any team looking to acquire Dunn would most likely not need to have $14 million in cash to deliver to him in a suitcase immediately. Most likely, they would take on about $5-6 million this year, which might have been left open in the budget, or resulted in an increase in ticket sales, or borrowed from another budget, etc. Yes, they would be required to pay Adam Dunn some $42 million over the next 3 years as well, but they very well have room for that in their budget because they haven't committed much in terms of payroll over the time period. And yes, the White Sox might even be required to throw in some money, but if it means getting out from a contract that is no longer seen as prudent within the makeup of the roster or direction the organization wishes to go in over the next three years, than it would indeed make sense rather than pay a player when the team would most likely not be competitive.

I understand what you are saying in many of these posts. But you seem to take an incredibly simplistic view of the finances of a major league baseball team, especially considering some of the things organizations have done in recent years (including the one you are a fan of). And instead of realizing that the resources and assets of MLB teams are often very complex, you choose to view payroll budgets as some giant piggy bank which is broken open at the beginning of every season.

For someone who claims to be an accountant, I just find the fact that you have that viewpoint incredibly unreasonsable, and difficult to comprehend.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 06:35 AM)
QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 08:24 PM)
Here you go with this ridiculous payroll bulls*** again. How can you possibly believe that this is how MLB teams operate? You act as if they have to pay the guy his entire salary up front or something. Jesus, just let it f***ing die already.

Ridiculous? Dunn makes $14 million a year. They would have to pay him a ton of money this year. You're right, businesses don't operate with budgets. Not many teams have $14 million laying around to pay someone, at least they don't want to admit it, not only to their paying customers but also the union. Plus they would owe him $14 million a year for 3 years after this, and he's basically a DH. You can call adding Dunn's contract no big deal but 30 MLB teams would disagree with you.

If its no big deal, KW should throw some more money around to fix his team. And if its no big deal why didn't those teams trump the White Sox offer when Dunn was a FA?

Exactly one team claimed Alex Rios, someone who could play the field, who could run a lot better and was several years younger, and was owed about the same amount of money. Dunn has been awful his last 300 AB. No team is going to give you anything of consequence for him, and take the contract. They may trade for him but the Sox would have to eat money and that makes zero sense from a Sox perspective. Its a different world than just a couple of seasons ago. Even the Yankees are asking teams to eat some money when they want to make a trade. The facts are Dunn was a FA and Detroit and the Angels were the other teams in pursuit. Detroit dropped out when they signed Victor Martinez. The Angels have Bobby Abreu DHing, and Kendrys Morales back eventually. They wouldn't offer what the White Sox offered so they passed. Why would they be willing to pay now?

Its also ironic a guy who was pissed when the Sox signed Konerko because Derek Lee was a cheaper option, is upset about talk of money. Most of baseball's moves these days are based upon money. Get used to it.

You are way overreacting to a guy who just got back from a surgery in a week.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 07:26 AM)
All kinds of teams that expect to be competitive leave room in their budget to make additions at the trade deadline. Any team looking to acquire Dunn would most likely not need to have $14 million in cash to deliver to him in a suitcase immediately. Most likely, they would take on about $5-6 million this year, which might have been left open in the budget, or resulted in an increase in ticket sales, or borrowed from another budget, etc. Yes, they would be required to pay Adam Dunn some $42 million over the next 3 years as well, but they very well have room for that in their budget because they haven't committed much in terms of payroll over the time period. And yes, the White Sox might even be required to throw in some money, but if it means getting out from a contract that is no longer seen as prudent within the makeup of the roster or direction the organization wishes to go in over the next three years, than it would indeed make sense rather than pay a player when the team would most likely not be competitive.

I understand what you are saying in many of these posts. But you seem to take an incredibly simplistic view of the finances of a major league baseball team, especially considering some of the things organizations have done in recent years (including the one you are a fan of). And instead of realizing that the resources and assets of MLB teams are often very complex, you choose to view payroll budgets as some giant piggy bank which is broken open at the beginning of every season.

For someone who claims to be an accountant, I just find the fact that you have that viewpoint incredibly unreasonsable, and difficult to comprehend.

At the end of the month Dunn will be owed $11,666,667 this season, and $42 million the next 3 years. Please just name a team that would be willing to take him and his contract right now for A) something worthwhile and then give me the teams that would just take the contract. People are talking firesales here, not me. I don't think there will be one. But there is no team that would take Adam Dunn and his contract this afternoon off KWs hands unless they received some significant financial aid, and as I have stated, that makes zero sense for the White Sox.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 08:59 AM)

You are way overreacting to a guy who just got back from a surgery in a week.

I'm not overreacting. I like Dunn on the Sox. The Sox overpayed, but that's fine by me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 11:22 AM)
If you really believe that Dunn went from worth $56 million to nothing in a matter of a few months, then yes, you are overreacting.

No I'm not. For one thing, I never thought he was worth $14 million a year, but again, I liked the Sox signing him. What you are "worth" in baseball is not fully based on your ability and performance. A lot of it has to do with finances no matter what iamshack cares to believe. If Albert Pujols becomes a free agent, there isn't a team on this earth he wouldn't make better, but there won't be 30 MLB teams trying to sign him. Dunn is limited defensively and is only going to get more limited the next few years. I really doubt an NL team would want to take a chance on that contract and have him in the field 3 years from now. An AL team wouldn't mind having him DH if he can show he can still hit, but that's a big number to be paying a DH, most teams have that position filled right now and most wouldn't be able or wouldn't be willing to take on his contract right now without a lot of relief.

Its not that he's worth nothing, he's obviously worth something, but for other teams he needs to be worth the value of his contract, plus whatever else was required to make a deal, and I don't see a team where that's possible without the Sox taking back something they probably don't want that costs money. Dunn is more valuable to the Sox than other teams.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 11:39 AM)
He had worth on the free agent market mere months ago. He was the Tigers #1 target.

And the Tigers passed and then signed Victor Martinez. They didn't want to pay him that contract. You think a .157 average with 23 strikeouts in 14 games has changed their minds?

If they were so gung ho about signing him and had to have him, they would have signed him. Now they added someone else. They might take him if KW took Magglio and his $10 million contract this year back, but what does that accomplish?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 11:42 AM)
And the Tigers passed and then signed Victor Martinez. They didn't want to pay him that contract. You think a .157 average with 23 strikeouts in 14 games has changed their minds?

If they were so gung ho about signing him and had to have him, they would have signed him. Now they added someone else. They might take him if KW took Magglio and his $10 million contract this year back, but what does that accomplish?

Dunn passed on the Tigers for us.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 11:45 AM)
Dunn passed on the Tigers for us.

Perhaps, but Dunn was supposedly close to signing with the Tigers on Nov 17. A week later the Tigers signed Martinez for about the same amount of money Dunn received. A week after that Dunn signed with the Sox. If you're saying money will be no object for Pizza Pizza, and you may be correct, if they really wanted Dunn so badly why wouldn't they have just jacked up the bid a little higher? Money talks.

Do you really think if KW called Dave Dombrowski up today and told him he'd like to give him Adam Dunn for an A Ball pitcher with a 10.00 ERA Dombrowski would say yes?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 10:58 AM)
Perhaps, but Dunn was supposedly close to signing with the Tigers on Nov 17. A week later the Tigers signed Martinez for about the same amount of money Dunn received. A week after that Dunn signed with the Sox. If you're saying money will be no object for Pizza Pizza, and you may be correct, if they really wanted Dunn so badly why wouldn't they have just jacked up the bid a little higher? Money talks.

Do you really think if KW called Dave Dombrowski up today and told him he'd like to give him Adam Dunn for an A Ball pitcher with a 10.00 ERA Dombrowski would say yes?

no.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 11:58 AM)

If he thought Dunn would win him the division, he would do it in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (bulokis @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)
If we end up with a fire sale i will support it. We may need a new direction, stock up on some young talent. But i am not sure kw can do it

Are you telling me if the Sox have a firesale, you are buying more tickets to the games?

QUOTE (bulokis @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)
If we end up with a fire sale i will support it. We may need a new direction, stock up on some young talent. But i am not sure kw can do it

Everyone acts like the Sox won't score 2 runs in a game for the rest of the year. This streak is beyond frustrating, however it will end soon and it will be a fun summer watching baseball.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 04:02 PM)
Way to dance around it. You know the answer.

Like I said, I have no doubt he would do it if he thought it would win him a division. Hell after this weekend, we put them right back into the race, the odds are probably pretty good for it, in theory.