This year will end before the trade deadline with a firesale

johndyce

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 04:40 PM)
And middle of this season, whichever team is sorta in the race but has an opening or injury would be after him, and I'm not going to predict yet which of those teams will have an injury. If Hamilton were to go down for the rest of the year, then Texas could be desperate for a LH bat and know that they have money to spend and an opening at DH.

This original argument was of my post no one would give you anything for Adam Dunn right now. SS2K5 said 10 teams would claim him if he were on waivers. With whom do you agree?

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 10:33 PM)
A very interesting name that popped up during the off-season was the Cubs. Apparently with the contracts they had coming off of the books in 2011, they were hoping to backload a deal.

The Cubs were Dunn's first choice, but they decided against him. At this point, they're full steam ahead for Pujols or Fielder.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 05:45 PM)
This original argument was of my post no one would give you anything for Adam Dunn right now. SS2K5 said 10 teams would claim him if he were on waivers. With whom do you agree?

I wouldn't say 10 teams, but it only takes 1. He'd get claimed if he were put on waivers right now.

Remember, when teams had to sign Dunn, they also would have lost their first round draft pick. If the Sox put Dunn on waivers right now, the other teams that considered him could get him and keep that pick.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 05:10 PM)
I feel sorry for season ticket holders. They can't give away tickets right now.

You gotta think they're doing a lot of calling and complaining about the product on the field.

Tell me about it. I have premium club levels I couldn't sell for $10 on Stubhub last weekend. I'll never go that low again.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 05:08 PM)
I wouldn't say 10 teams, but it only takes 1. He'd get claimed if he were put on waivers right now.

Remember, when teams had to sign Dunn, they also would have lost their first round draft pick. If the Sox put Dunn on waivers right now, the other teams that considered him could get him and keep that pick.

But the teams who were interested in him have also gone and paid alternatives,and Dunn isn't cheap. I wonder how many teams actually were willing to pay Dunn what the White Sox paid him last offseason.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 06:13 PM)
But the teams who were interested in him have also gone and paid alternatives,and Dunn isn't cheap.

Which is why, right now, I think it would be only 1-2 teams that would take the contract on, rather than 10.

However, come the middle of this season, where teams are in the race but have guys like Abreu or Matsui struggling in the DH spot, while other teams have guys like Hamilton or Mauer hurt, that's when those moves get made, and at that point, yeah, i could see 5-8 teams being interested.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 05:15 PM)
Which is why, right now, I think it would be only 1-2 teams that would take the contract on, rather than 10.

However, come the middle of this season, where teams are in the race but have guys like Abreu or Matsui struggling in the DH spot, while other teams have guys like Hamilton or Mauer hurt, that's when those moves get made, and at that point, yeah, i could see 5-8 teams being interested.

I also don't think losing the draft pick is a big consideration for players you feel are worth over $50 million. I agree teams would be interested, but I think they would want financial relief. Dunn was moved once before and the Reds got 3 bums and had to send AZ some cash and Dunn wasn't owed $42 million the next 3 years, and was 3 years younger.

Interest and actually taking the contract are 2 very different things, and as Hawk would say, its academic as the White Sox will be in the race at the deadline.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 25, 2011 -> 09:25 PM)
Sox have played horrible baseball the last 2-3 weeks, horrible, probably can't play any worse, and they're 3.5 behind Tigers and 1 behind the Twins and both those teams have flaws as well. I'm not quite ready for that firesale.

But the Royals and Indians!

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 25, 2011 -> 10:31 PM)
But the Royals and Indians!

haha, yeah, hopefully me ignoring them won't come back to haunt me, but some of those stats the Indians pitching was putting up was almost as good as the Sox offensive stats have been bad, meaning it can't sustain. I like both teams young talent a lot, this year though, I will still look at Twins and Indians.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 25, 2011 -> 10:34 PM)
haha, yeah, hopefully me ignoring them won't come back to haunt me, but some of those stats the Indians pitching was putting up was almost as good as the Sox offensive stats have been bad, meaning it can't sustain. I like both teams young talent a lot, this year though, I will still look at Twins and Indians.

I think the standings will turn upside down by the end of the year. Both the Indians and Royals are starting to lose it to some extent, and I think the Royals young talent will prove superior to the Indians in the end. I think the Sox are the most talented team in the division and that will become evident while the Tigers having a second half swoon and the Twins just don't play as well as they have in recent years.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 25, 2011 -> 09:25 PM)
Sox have played horrible baseball the last 2-3 weeks, horrible, probably can't play any worse, and they're 3.5 behind Tigers and 1 behind the Twins and both those teams have flaws as well. I'm not quite ready for that firesale.

Eek, we've heard that before.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 12:20 AM)
Eek, we've heard that before.

They are signs that it's atleast starting to turn around. If anything, Dunn looking better at the plate alone makes the offense quite a bit more dangerous on its own, and the bullpen has been roughly one million times better than it was through the first 10 or 11 games of the season. The starting pitching, for the most part, will be there, so it's a matter of getting the rest of the offense back on track.

My two biggest concerns going forward in the lineup are Rios and Pierzynski. Rios has shown in the past that he can sustain this sort of ineptitude for pretty much the entirety of a season, so until he starts producing a bit more, I'm going to worry about him. And Pierzynski scares me because he didn't show anything until like the final 8 weeks of the year last year, and he has a ton of mileage. It just doesn't seem like he hits any balls hard anymore.

I also worry a little bit about Pierre mainly because teams are playing their LF so far in against him that some of those shots he hits to LF are staying up just long enough that whoever is out there can get to it and because they are playing so shallow, no runner on earth has a chance to score when he does get one to LF.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 04:40 PM)
A deal that would work perfectly for both teams if the Sox went into meltdown mode, Fukodome + prospect for Dunn. Sox get out of the contract and get a building block. Cubs get their thumper from the left side. Its not hard to envision at all. Its revenue nuetral for both teams this year, and Cubs get money in the coming years when they can afford it. It also still leaves them room if they want to go after their big guy next year.

Perfect sense. Soriano in LF. Dunn in RF. LMAO.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 05:11 AM)
Perfect sense. Soriano in LF. Dunn in RF. LMAO.

What you're asking people to do is irrelevant. The question is not could Dunn be moved on April 26th. The question is could he be moved at the trade deadline. All sorts of things could happen between now and then.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 05:33 AM)
What you're asking people to do is irrelevant. The question is not could Dunn be moved on April 26th. The question is could he be moved at the trade deadline. All sorts of things could happen between now and then.

Right, but all you can go off of is right now, and right now no other team would take that contract, and at the deadline still probably wouldn't take that contract. As I stated he's worth more to the Sox than anyone else, and the Sox aren't going to be looking to move him anyway.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 07:23 AM)
Right, but all you can go off of is right now, and right now no other team would take that contract, and at the deadline still probably wouldn't take that contract. As I stated he's worth more to the Sox than anyone else, and the Sox aren't going to be looking to move him anyway.

That's just not true. Right now is perhaps the worst time you can try and use for a player's trade value, since we're less than a month into the season. What you can go off of is previous deadlines, where there are usually a few desperate teams trying to stay in contention.

Did you think anyone would take on Vernon Wells' contract this offseason?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 01:48 AM)
They are signs that it's atleast starting to turn around. If anything, Dunn looking better at the plate alone makes the offense quite a bit more dangerous on its own, and the bullpen has been roughly one million times better than it was through the first 10 or 11 games of the season. The starting pitching, for the most part, will be there, so it's a matter of getting the rest of the offense back on track.

My two biggest concerns going forward in the lineup are Rios and Pierzynski. Rios has shown in the past that he can sustain this sort of ineptitude for pretty much the entirety of a season, so until he starts producing a bit more, I'm going to worry about him. And Pierzynski scares me because he didn't show anything until like the final 8 weeks of the year last year, and he has a ton of mileage. It just doesn't seem like he hits any balls hard anymore.

I also worry a little bit about Pierre mainly because teams are playing their LF so far in against him that some of those shots he hits to LF are staying up just long enough that whoever is out there can get to it and because they are playing so shallow, no runner on earth has a chance to score when he does get one to LF.

I've been saying that Pierzynski will be the black hole in the lineup since day one. You know that guy who seems to come up in a big situation almost every game and you just have to sigh and accept the fact that he's going to GIDP? That guy.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)
I've been saying that Pierzynski will be the black hole in the lineup since day one. You know that guy who seems to come up in a big situation almost every game and you just have to sigh and accept the fact that he's going to GIDP? That guy.

The guy hitting .400 w/ RISP this season. (I know, sample size, only 20 ABs) The guy who hit .301 w. RISP last year, .320 w/ 2 outs. That guy.