This year will end before the trade deadline with a firesale

johndyce

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, seriously, that guy. I wish Ozzie would play Castro a bit more often to keep Pierzynski atleast a little fresher while getting Castro's bat into the lineup. I sorta think that Castro is the best catcher in the White Sox system, but maybe that's just me.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 03:39 PM)
Yes, seriously, that guy. I wish Ozzie would play Castro a bit more often to keep Pierzynski atleast a little fresher while getting Castro's bat into the lineup. I sorta think that Castro is the best catcher in the White Sox system, but maybe that's just me.

I don't think there is much of a question that Castro is better defensively and at calling a game. If the rest of the offense was clicking, I wouldn't have a problem sending out against RHPs.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 08:07 AM)
That's just not true. Right now is perhaps the worst time you can try and use for a player's trade value, since we're less than a month into the season. What you can go off of is previous deadlines, where there are usually a few desperate teams trying to stay in contention.

Did you think anyone would take on Vernon Wells' contract this offseason?

Speculating that a guy is going to be worth so and so at the deadline is just that. What if Dunn doesn't come out of it? Face it, if the Sox are in a position to dump contracts Dunn probably isn't lighting up the scoreboard. The reason the Sox would be in a dump mode was because their high paid guys weren't performing. Those guys don't get moved for a big prize. If you're telling me I'm all wet, you have to tell everyone else their all wet. Dunn to the Cubs? Even you know its laughable.

Wells was a headscratcher but that also was one team that might have gone after Dunn, and was done in the offseason when teams have determined their budgets and are putting together their teams. Dunn has been traded at the deadline before for 3 not very good players and the Reds had to send cash. He wasn't owed what he's owed right now. Moreno wanted to spend some money last winter and couldn't get the guys he really wanted. He shocked the world with what he did and got burned. Moreno isn't going that route again, and I doubt any other team was touching that contract.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 09:51 PM)
Speculating that a guy is going to be worth so and so at the deadline is just that. What if Dunn doesn't come out of it?

If Adam Dunn doesn't come out of it, then the White Sox are simply the unluckiest team in baseball. No other way to say it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 06:48 AM)
If Adam Dunn doesn't come out of it, then the White Sox are simply the unluckiest team in baseball. No other way to say it.

I'm not so sure you can say they were unlucky with the Peavy and Rios moves. Those were huge gambles 95% of other GM's wouldn't have taken. Same thing with signing Teahen to the long-term deal when it wasn't even necessary (perhaps the ending hasn't been written to that move).

If Dunn doesn't produce this year, it will be blamed on his adjusting to a new league, better competition, pitchers with different tendencies of attacking hitters vis a vis the NL, health problems, etc.

So far, they've been pounding him with fastballs ever since the microsurgery, but the odds of that HAVE to turn around at some point, don't they?

Of all the gambles which went against us, the one with a similar probability of working out (but didn't) had to be Nick Swisher's 2008 offensive flop and resulting alienation from the entire organization, from Guillen on down.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 07:48 AM)

I know baseball is a funny game and all, but how many guys are more consistant than Adam Dunn? He hasn't been below 150 games, 38 homers or 92 RBI since 2003. Only one of those years did he have an OPS of less than .889, and that was even .855.

There aren't many things you can count on in baseball but unless Dunn really hurts himself, you can pretty much bank on his numbers going toward his career norms. His standard deviation between seasons is tiny in relative terms.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 08:03 AM)
I'm not so sure you can say they were unlucky with the Peavy and Rios moves. Those were huge gambles 95% of other GM's wouldn't have taken. Same thing with signing Teahen to the long-term deal when it wasn't even necessary (perhaps the ending hasn't been written to that move).

If Dunn doesn't produce this year, it will be blamed on his adjusting to a new league, better competition, pitchers with different tendencies of attacking hitters vis a vis the NL, health problems, etc.

So far, they've been pounding him with fastballs ever since the microsurgery, but the odds of that HAVE to turn around at some point, don't they?

Of all the gambles which went against us, the one with a similar probability of working out (but didn't) had to be Nick Swisher's 2008 offensive flop and resulting alienation from the entire organization, from Guillen on down.

Nick Swisher had the same odds of working out as Adam Dunn? That's just crazy talk. His career highs don't even hit an average Dunn year in the power numbers.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 09:03 AM)

I didn't say anything about the Peavy and Rios moves.

Adam Dunn hits 40 damn HR every year. If Adam Dunn does not come out of this current slump, the White Sox are the unluckiest team in baseball.

You don't sign a guy as consistent as Adam Dunn and have him completely fall apart. You just don't.

Swisher....

1) Was closer the true athletic prime of his career....younger than Dunn

2) Moving from one of the worst hitters' parks in baseball to one of the best

3) Moving to an easier division for pitching (or comparable) rather than changing NL to AL

NICK SWISHER OPS

2006 .865

2007 .836

2008 .742

2009 .869

2010 .870

Isn't there a pretty big statistical anomaly there?

We gave up a huge package of players to get Swisher, arguably more than we were willing to give up last summer for Dunn (Jackson + Viciedo).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 09:05 AM)
Swisher....

3) Moving to an easier division for pitching (or comparable) rather than changing NL to AL

NICK SWISHER OPS

2006 .865

2007 .836

2008 .742

2009 .869

2010 .870

We gave up a huge package of players to get Swisher, arguably more than we were willing to give up last summer for Dunn (Jackson + Viciedo).

Now look at Dunn's numbers. Dunns worst year of .855 in 2006 is the only that Swishers best years pass up. He is also WAY more consistant.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 09:05 AM)
Swisher....

NICK SWISHER OPS

2006 .865

2007 .836

2008 .742

2009 .869

2010 .870

It is also worth mentioning that Swisher didn't have those three extra years when we traded for him.