The Optimism Thread

fathom

Even I am tired of seeing new thread after new thread claiming the world is ending. With that said, there's actually some light at the end of the tunnel in my opinion. They are:

- Quentin is swinging the bat great, and Ozzie was very proactive in moving him into the 3rd spot

- Dunn had his best swing in two weeks tonight

- Rios with 3 hard hit balls is more than he had in the last two weeks

- Sale's fastball reached 98 mph

- Ohman has turned it around since his first few games

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny thing is I'm completely serious with this. Kinda clicked with me when watching the Twins have Holm and Tolbert have to bat in the 9th inning against Gregg. Also, as much as I get down on Peavy, it looks like he still has a chance in a month or so to start contributing to the big league club. That's better than what we thought we'd hear 48 hours ago.

Because the season is only 18 games in

Because its only roughly 10% of the season

Because the Indians and Royals are not legit

Because this team will hit

Because the bullpen can't collectively suck for a whole season (unless it's some giant statistical aberration)

Because the Sox played like s*** at the Trop last year (or they play like s*** in domes for whatever reason)

Because every team go through slumps

Because I think the Twins are not that good

Because I think the Tigers are not that good

The reasons for optimism right now are the division standings are backwards, and there are a lot of games left. I still feel our team is fatally flawed and is not going to make the playoffs. However, it appears very possible this divison sucks. So maybe we can get hot midseason, get to an upper 80's win total again, and that'll be enough to get in this time. It's just very frusterating when your bullpen blows, your defense blows, and you're getting off a horrible start to the season after emphasizing starting hot because a bad start basically cost you the playoffs last year.

Another reason for optimism? I think heads will finally roll if this season doesn't work out. And as much as another failed season would suck the big one, at least the change that would be long overdue with another season ending after only 162 games would come. I'd much prefer this team just pick up the pace, though.

Now is the chance to be an expert by figuring out why the team will turn it around. Anyone can point out the problems, the fun is figuring out what no one else sees. So I am not surprised that fathom would start this thread. I am surprised he hasn't contributed more meat. That's what I was hoping to read.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 12:17 AM)
You know the season is done when Fathom posts about optimism.

I was about to say the same thing. :lolhitting

I had to do a double take to see who actually posted this thread, especially an optimism thread. Fathom, your still the king of pessimism. Don't let my boy J4L take that from you.

Posnanski gives us more reasons:

Question 1: How likely is it that a team that is in playoff position after 16 games will make the playoffs at the end of the season?

I only looked back five years ... but that was really as far back as I needed to look. The answer is: Not likely. From a quick summary after 16 or so games, only 14 of the 40 teams that eventually made the playoffs the last five years were even tied for a playoff spot. Three of the 14 were the Boston Red Sox, so that should tell you something.

Here's pretty much what you need to know: The last five years, the New York Yankees were only in playoff position once after 16 games. The year? Yep: 2008 -- the one year since the strike that the Yankees did not make the playoffs.

Teams that were in playoff position after 16 games the last five years: Baltimore (twice!), 2009 Kansas City, 2008, 2009 AND 2010 Florida, Oakland four times and so on. You might be aware that none of these teams made the playoffs.

A good start can spur a surprising season, I suppose. The 2009 Mariners got off to a great start and then played surprisingly good baseball all year long ... that season becomes more surprising every day. The Mariners were 10-6 after 16 games, 12-6 after 18, and won 85 games for the season. They have won 66 in the season and change since then.*

Say what you want about KC and Cleveland, but season-long pennant races in both cities will do wonders for the sport of baseball from a generalized sense.

I guess that's something to be optimistic about...having lived in KC for almost a decade, they deserve a team that's not a mirage like 2003 or even a couple of years ago. One they can actually believe in.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 08:28 AM)
Say what you want about KC and Cleveland, but season-long pennant races in both cities will do wonders for the sport of baseball from a generalized sense.

I guess that's something to be optimistic about...having lived in KC for almost a decade, they deserve a team that's not a mirage like 2003 or even a couple of years ago. One they can actually believe in.

Cleveland had a long pennant race and an ALCS game 7 just a couple years ago, and they're right back to the bottom of the league in attendance now.

The White Sox are going through one of their ugly, almost unwatchable sreaks. Man they look bad. I remain optimistic because I have seen these slumps before. Also Minnesota and Detroit are not pulling away. Cleveland and K.C. may remain in it but will not run away with it. The Sox may still win despite Ozzie, not because of him. He has thrown his players under the bus before (Cabrerra, Ordonez, Jenks) and now he has no closer. He preaches defense and never has it. I am fed up with Ozzie not getting the most out of his talent. Ok enough rant on Ozzie, I am optimistic the Sox can compete in this division because they do have talented players.

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 09:30 AM)
Reasons for optimism.... temperatures projected to be in the 60's most of next week.

Once consistent warm weather comes around I believe the offense will too.

The dome in Tampa was warmer than that. :ph34r:

Its April 21st. We're 4 games under, 6 games back, but its April 21st.

It has really sucked to watch the team sleep walk to start season (again) after you wait all winter long and look forward to being excited about White Sox baseball. Seven game losing streaks always suck. but they especially suck in April, when they can b****slap a winter's worth of optimism right out of you. Honestly though, they are not that rare, and certainly not fatal.