The Optimism Thread

fathom

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a better team than last years team that won 88 games.

Dunn is better than Kotsay

Full year of Edwin Jackson

Sergio Santos is the heir apparent closer showing wicked stuff - Bobby Jenks is looking like Bobby Jenks - except in a Red Cubs uniform

Morel will defend 3rd better than Teahen did last year

Quentin is looking like TCQ again

Konerko is Konerko

...and the Twins suck worse than the Sox do right now

They're hot shot import 2nd basemen has a broken leg and they let O. Hudson walk

Joe Mauer also has a bum leg and they're trying to figure out where else he can play on the field

Justin Morneau is still a lil dizzy

Joe Nathan sucks and has been demoted

Cleveland won't keep winning like this

Kansas City won't keep winning like this

Detroit hasn't shown much

the 2005 Houston Astros had 2 6 game losing streaks and 1 7 game losing streak prior to May 25th. On that date, their record was 15-30. They finished 89-73 and won the NL Pennant.

the 2005 Chicago White Sox had a stretch in August where they lost 16 of 27 games and still went on to win the World Series.

the 2006 St. Louis Cardinals had 2 8 game losing streaks and 1 6 game losing streak. They went on to win the World Series.

the 2006 Detroit Tigers started a very pedestrian 7-7 and then went on an unreal 28-7 tear. Then, they went on an abysmal 5-13 during a stretch in August, yet still won the AL Pennant.

the 2007 Colorado Rockies had an early stretch where they went 13-22, and an additional 8 game losing streak. They went on to win the Pennant.

the 2008 Tampa Bay Rays had a 7 game losing streak. They went on to win the Pennant.

the 2008 Philadelphia Phillies started out 8-10 and still won the World Series.

The 2009 New York Yankees had a 4 game losing streak and a 5 game losing streak before May 6th to open at 13-15. They went on to win 103 games and the World Series.

The 2009 Philadelphia Phillies had a 4-14 stretch and still went on to win the Pennant.

The 2010 San Francisco Giants had one 4-12 stretch and another 4-8 stretch, yet still won the World Series.

The 2010 Texas Rangers started out 8-11 and still won the AL Pennant.

Really, how many times does this record need to be played where people finally recognize something about SAMPLE SIZE?

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 04:48 PM)
I'm staying in this thread - the other one scares me. Like a honey badger.

I'll say, this is some good group therapy in here. Let's go out and win tonight against the struggling Niemann and not have to worry about breaking the losing streak against Verlander.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 11:45 AM)
Really, how many times does this record need to be played where people finally recognize something about SAMPLE SIZE?

I'm not going to attempt to bring this thread down, but I will say that we certainly understand the concept of sample size. We're not morons.

They are too tight. They need something to make them stop thinking about failure. Ozzie needs to go bezerk like Maddon did at the Cell to the point of making the clubhouse laugh. They need to plunk Lopez and clear the benches. The need something unusual or funny to distract them from the fact that they are not playing well. This is why booing them at the Cell does not help even though it is every paying fan's right. They know they are sucking. They don't need to be reminded. In fact booing them hurts the team and makes them more likely to do things that tended to generate boos to begin with. Trying harder does not help. Stress that is too high causes your brain not to work as well and gripping the bat a little tighter can make a difference. Boo lack of effort. I don't see lack of effort.

They need to all do a shot of their favorite beverage in the clubhouse before the top of the first. They need Paully to wear a spiderman outfit in the club house. They need distraction and relaxation from whatever works for them. Then a win will happen. Then another....and this part of the season will be a memory and playing and watching baseball will be fun again.

:gosox1:

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 11:59 AM)
Oh, and Edwin Jackson looks far better than Daniel Hudson so far this year.

I like that trade and hope Edwin is tired of moving around and elects to resign as I think he Coop could be good together long term.

Hudson against some of those NL lineups should do decently. The pitching v. hitting in the NL are liteyears apart.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 01:08 PM)
They are too tight. They need something to make them stop thinking about failure. Ozzie needs to go bezerk like Maddon did at the Cell to the point of making the clubhouse laugh. They need to plunk Lopez and clear the benches. The need something unusual or funny to distract them from the fact that they are not playing well. This is why booing them at the Cell does not help even though it is every paying fan's right. They know they are sucking. They don't need to be reminded. In fact booing them hurts the team and makes them more likely to do things that tended to generate boos to begin with. Trying harder does not help. Stress that is too high causes your brain not to work as well and gripping the bat a little tighter can make a difference. Boo lack of effort. I don't see lack of effort.

They need to all do a shot of their favorite beverage in the clubhouse before the top of the first. They need Paully to wear a spiderman outfit in the club house. They need distraction and relaxation from whatever works for them. Then a win will happen. Then another....and this part of the season will be a memory and playing and watching baseball will be fun again.

It is about time for a nice Ozzie meltdown to take some attention away from the team.

I believe other teams have managed to come from 6 back in five months to win a division. I know this team can as well. And I believe a little adversity in a season helps the team in the post season.

Because there is a difference between being reasonably optimistic and being blind to the truth.

When the Sox blew a few saves due to unusual circumstances, you can write that off as s*** happens.

When the Sox lose a bunch of games because their offense is sleepwalking, you have to address the issue.

The fact that its early in the season means that there is time to right the ship, but part of righting the ship is admitting that there is something wrong.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 01:37 PM)
Because there is a difference between being reasonably optimistic and being blind to the truth.

When the Sox blew a few saves due to unusual circumstances, you can write that off as s*** happens.

When the Sox lose a bunch of games because their offense is sleepwalking, you have to address the issue.

The fact that its early in the season means that there is time to right the ship, but part of righting the ship is admitting that there is something wrong.

I was just messing with you. You posted two lines that were in complete contradiction.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 01:08 PM)

Hilarious. It's like you're considering these paid professionals to be children on a little league team.

Its really not that confusing at all.

There is reason to be optimistic, its early in the season, the Sox on paper seemingly have a good team, there is plenty of time for the team to click and win a bunch of games.

At the same time, if they play the same way they did over the last week or they are going to lose a bunch more, and eventually time wont be on their side.

You want to fix the problems as soon as possible. Hence the statement, they need to wake up, because if they keep screwing around, eventually it wont be April itll be July and time wont be on their side.