4/21 Games

danman31

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 08:30 PM)
FanGraphs says Alex Torres is the Rays 9th best prospect. He's probably a top 3 prospect in the White Sox system.

Without question. The Rays have the 2nd best farm system in baseball while the Sox are bottom 3. I'm quite jealous of the pitching they routinely churn out.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 09:05 PM)
Without question. The Rays have the 2nd best farm system in baseball while the Sox are bottom 3. I'm quite jealous of the pitching they routinely churn out.

What? You don't like Jeff Marquez, Lucas Harrell and the like? What the f*** is wrong with you?!!?

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 09:33 PM)
What? You don't like Jeff Marquez, Lucas Harrell and the like? What the f*** is wrong with you?!!?

If we were most teams, Beckham and Sale would still be considered prospects and we could brag about our awesome farm system.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 09:55 PM)
If we were most teams, Beckham and Sale would still be considered prospects and we could brag about our awesome farm system.

I'd prefer Sale still as a prospect. Starting in the minors and such.

Prospects "graduating" is also a lousy excuse for having a poor farm system. Those graduations are replenished in organizations that have a semblance of depth.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 10:01 PM)
Prospects "graduating" is also a lousy excuse for having a poor farm system. Those graduations are replenished in organizations that have a semblance of depth.

Yes, but at least the Sox wouldn't be in the bottom three. It's only a minor improvement if you think of it as talent produced.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 09:01 PM)
I'd prefer Sale still as a prospect. Starting in the minors and such.

It may sound odd...but I think we'll have some decent prospects come into their own this year. Viciedo is taking some walks (whether or not he's "prospect eligible" for lists is irrelevant...he's a prospect for us), Jose Martinez is healthy, Petricka is dealing, and a couple others. I have zero faith in Mitchell or Thompson panning out, but I like the odds of us having a couple more guys that can produce as above average major leaguers before the season is through.

Edited by Pale Sox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 08:31 AM)
He's currently striking out at a rate that would put him at around 135 K's on the year...which is better than D2, but not by a whole lot.

Hey I'm not arguing his K numbers, BABIP, low walk rate, etc. It's baby steps as far as I'm concerned. I didn't think he should be at W-S (still don't and hope he proves me wrong) and was gonna be over-matched.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 10:39 AM)
Hey I'm not arguing his K numbers, BABIP, low walk rate, etc. It's baby steps as far as I'm concerned. I didn't think he should be at W-S (still don't and hope he proves me wrong) and was gonna be over-matched.

I'm going to focus on his K numbers because, much like D2, that was the worry for him coming out.

If he drops by 25%, then he's in real good shape.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 12:47 PM)
Mitchell sounds like he has a better tool set than Danks.

Well certainly, but it's becoming more and more apparent to me that the single biggest issue for these multitool players is strikeouts. You can look at it in more detail by going to K/BB ratios or things that might make up for some of the K's like defense...but the K's are unavoidable.

I spent a while looking at the numbers of guys like Grady Sizemore, Granderson, BJ Upton, a few years ago when I was trying to figure out what, if anything, D2 needed to do to become a legit player, and it was obvious pretty quick that these toolsy OF's who are striking out 130+ times a year just can't put up better numbers over a career. They don't hit 40 HR, so if they're striking out 130-150 times a year, the only way they can push an average close to .300 is with a huge BABIP increase. BJ upton had one of those in his great season, but he's never replicated it.

If a guy is striking out 150 times a year, he can be a very good player, but he always has an upper limit. D2 is stuck in that boat. He doesn't have the raw tools/power of Sizemore or Granderson, but he has their strikeouts, and unless he cuts back on those, he'll get no where. Mitchell might have the raw tools of the other guys, but if he's in the 150 K range, we're going to hate him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 12:10 PM)
Well certainly, but it's becoming more and more apparent to me that the single biggest issue for these multitool players is strikeouts. You can look at it in more detail by going to K/BB ratios or things that might make up for some of the K's like defense...but the K's are unavoidable.

I spent a while looking at the numbers of guys like Grady Sizemore, Granderson, BJ Upton, a few years ago when I was trying to figure out what, if anything, D2 needed to do to become a legit player, and it was obvious pretty quick that these toolsy OF's who are striking out 130+ times a year just can't put up better numbers over a career. They don't hit 40 HR, so if they're striking out 130-150 times a year, the only way they can push an average close to .300 is with a huge BABIP increase. BJ upton had one of those in his great season, but he's never replicated it.

If a guy is striking out 150 times a year, he can be a very good player, but he always has an upper limit. D2 is stuck in that boat. He doesn't have the raw tools/power of Sizemore or Granderson, but he has their strikeouts, and unless he cuts back on those, he'll get no where. Mitchell might have the raw tools of the other guys, but if he's in the 150 K range, we're going to hate him.

Excellent post. Danks is toast. He's a nothing prospect as far as I'm concerned. Mitchell is still legitimate to me.