The GREAT Daniel Hudson

macsandz

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 02:20 PM)
Pretty much, every GM will make a mistake, probably atleast once per season/offseason. It's the moves that they do to limit the amount of hurt that mistake does to the team that makes the GM great.

It's like a hitter, they will slump at some point in the season, their success level tends to be how well they limit those slumps.

Unless your name is Alex Anthopoulos. He can't spell mistake.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 02:27 PM)
Unless your name is Alex Anthopoulos. He can't spell mistake.

Hahaha, he has done a phenomenal job thus far. He now needs to figure out how to win a title in that division. If he can do that, then AA will forever be regarded as a god.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
Or at least finish better than 4th.

AA has done some amazing things, many of his moves are more for the longer term (I know, you're an all in guy). That said, if after another 3 years and he hasn't progressed in the standings then of course he didn't keep up his track record.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 02:36 PM)
As if KW, your god, could do any better. He certainly couldn't set up a team to compete like the current Blue Jays are. They're coming. And they're coming for everyone soon.

Kenny Williams isn't my god, but can we at least have AA's team finish in the top half of his division once before anointing him as such?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 02:36 PM)
As if KW, your god, could do any better. He certainly couldn't set up a team to compete like the current Blue Jays are. They're coming. And they're coming for everyone soon.

do us all a favor and let us know when they are here, Carnak

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 01:37 PM)
AA has done some amazing things, many of his moves are more for the longer term (I know, you're an all in guy). That said, if after another 3 years and he hasn't progressed in the standings then of course he didn't keep up his track record.

He's shown the ability to clean up someone else's mess, and he's done it from a position where he had nothing to lose.

Let's see him build up something himself now.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
Yes.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)
Either way, the Hudson/Jackson trade was bad. However, KW would then deserve credit for the Jackson/Teahen for Frasor/Stewart swap.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 02:42 PM)
There you go.

Yes I get that, it was a bad trade and nothing changes that. But hypothetically, a couple years down the road, if Stewart ends up as good as or better than Hudson, how can you end up displeased? Because it's not as if you can say "well we could have had both"

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 08:57 PM)
Hudson down 5-0 in the 1st, but that's understandable against the potent Astros offense. They do have Hunter Pence & Michael Bourn.

He had first inning troubles even in the minors. 3 of those 5 runs are unearned too. He may lose tonight, but it wouldn't surprise me if he shut them down for 5-6 innings now.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 09:10 PM)
He had first inning troubles even in the minors. 3 of those 5 runs are unearned too. He may lose tonight, but it wouldn't surprise me if he shut them down for 5-6 innings now.

Yeah, I remember him having similar troubles early this season. He would give up a quick 3 spot in the 1st, then just start dealing.

Who the f*** are these guys in the Astros lineup? J.B. Shuck? J.D. Martinez? I know Bourgeois was a Sox farmhand, he can run, but I'm not sure if he can hit.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 08:17 PM)
Yeah, I remember him having similar troubles early this season. He would give up a quick 3 spot in the 1st, then just start dealing.

Who the f*** are these guys in the Astros lineup? J.B. Shuck? J.D. Martinez?

Reminds me of the made up minor league ballplayers in MVP '05.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 08:17 PM)

Who the f*** are these guys in the Astros lineup? J.B. Shuck? J.D. Martinez? I know Bourgeois was a Sox farmhand, he can run, but I'm not sure if he can hit.

JD Martinez is a guy they brought up from AA last week. 3 homers in his first 29 at bats. He took Hudson out opposite field and Hudson pouted like a baby for the rest of the inning.

I was not impressed by Daniel last night.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 09:50 AM)
Anthopoulos served as an advanced scout for the Greek National Baseball Team for the 2004 Summer Olympics. The Greek team finished in 7th place.

Nobody plays baseball in Greece. It's hard to scout in North America to begin with, now imagine scouting in a country where maybe a thousand people play the sport.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 09:55 AM)
Nobody plays baseball in Greece. It's hard to scout in North America to begin with, now imagine scouting in a country where maybe a thousand people play the sport.

Wouldn't that make it much easier? Scouting 1,000 people instead of several million?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 09:57 AM)
Wouldn't that make it much easier? Scouting 1,000 people instead of several million?

Maybe, but it also means that Greece team had almost no one to pull from to really make a decent team.

I really doubt he was roaming the Grecian countryside for hidden talent anyways.

He was most likely combing through lists of known college and professional players trying to find some link to Greek descent and then trying to convince those players to play.