The GREAT Daniel Hudson

macsandz

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 10, 2011 -> 10:25 AM)
We'll need about two dozen more of those before the immovable stench of the Hudson/Jackson trade is disposed of.

It doesn't help that Hudson is looking more and more like a young Halladay everyday.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 10, 2011 -> 11:46 AM)
It doesn't help that Hudson is looking more and more like a young Halladay everyday.

I wouldn't go that far. But the guy is obviously legit. It really is amazing how stunningly fast that organization has turned around. Call it skill or luck or a combination of both. But in that time frame, they've added their #1 and #2 starters for this year's playoffs, fixed a bullpen that was record-breaking bad in '10 overnight, while at the same time restocking a farm system (Tyler Skaggs, Patrick Corbin, David Holmberg) that now features arguably the deepest collection of legitimate pitching prospects in baseball. Take some f***ing notes, Kenny.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 10, 2011 -> 12:17 PM)
I wouldn't go that far. But the guy is obviously legit. It really is amazing had stunningly fast that organization has turned around. Call it skill or luck or a combination of both. But in that time frame, they've added their #1 and #2 starters for this year's playoffs, fixed a bullpen that was record-breaking bad in '10 overnight, while at the same time restocking a farm system (Tyler Skaggs, Patrick Corbin, David Holmberg) that now features arguably the deepest collection of legitimate pitching prospects in baseball. Take some f***ing notes, Kenny.

It he were a hitter, Greg Walker would be the issue. How come no issue with Cooper? He clearly didn't perform very well for the White Sox last year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 10, 2011 -> 01:24 PM)
It he were a hitter, Greg Walker would be the issue. How come no issue with Cooper? He clearly didn't perform very well for the White Sox last year.

Because he got a whopping 3 games worth of chances.

If you watched him, you could actually see that the kid had good stuff, but he was clearly doing what a lot of rookies try to do...he was trying to spot the ball ont he corner on every pitch. He was trying to make every pitch perfect instead of letting hitters get themselves out.

There was good velocity, good movement, good control, but he was walking a lot more people than he did in AAA, because it's really hard to throw a perfect pitch every time, and when you're walking people and falling behind, suddenly you have to make a perfect pitch.

It takes rookie pitchers a while to get to the stage where they just come out and trust what they're doing. We dumped him without giving him a chance.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 10, 2011 -> 05:27 PM)
Because he got a whopping 3 games worth of chances.

If you watched him, you could actually see that the kid had good stuff, but he was clearly doing what a lot of rookies try to do...he was trying to spot the ball ont he corner on every pitch. He was trying to make every pitch perfect instead of letting hitters get themselves out.

There was good velocity, good movement, good control, but he was walking a lot more people than he did in AAA, because it's really hard to throw a perfect pitch every time, and when you're walking people and falling behind, suddenly you have to make a perfect pitch.

It takes rookie pitchers a while to get to the stage where they just come out and trust what they're doing. We dumped him without giving him a chance.

People forget that one of those three starts was dominating

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 11:42 PM)
Hudson with a CG win.

*cue the it doesn't count because it came against the Padres comments*

Wins are only suppose to be meaningless when it comes to "ace John Danks".

I watched that game last night until the 6th. They faced a rookie with a great curve ball.

The DBs aren't exactly a offensive juggernaut either. Hudsons been doing pretty good at the plate for a pitcher.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 10, 2011 -> 11:24 AM)

Then you have to give the White Sox/Cooper credit for (the opposite of Hudson) being patient with Humber....whereas the Mets, Twins and Royals clearly were not, as I think he only had 3-4 starts combined amongst those three teams before we pilfered him from the A's roster.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 10, 2011 -> 11:51 AM)
Ok, as a person who hated the Hudson trade...that's pushing it. A lot.

I think he has that potential, he has to live up to it of course over a long period of time. I'm still concerned that Hudson may have elbow issues in the near future.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 11, 2011 -> 12:41 PM)
I think he has that potential, he has to live up to it of course over a long period of time. I'm still concerned that Hudson may have elbow issues in the near future.

He clearly has the potential to be a solid player...but Roy Halladay is a hall of fame pitcher. That, IMO, makes the comparison almost useless...because even 99% of the people with Roy Halladay's "Potential" don't wind up as hall of famers.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 11, 2011 -> 12:26 PM)
He clearly has the potential to be a solid player...but Roy Halladay is a hall of fame pitcher. That, IMO, makes the comparison almost useless...because even 99% of the people with Roy Halladay's "Potential" don't wind up as hall of famers.

I know, but I think he is capable of being that good. I'll stand by my comparison.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 06:24 PM)
And LH just owned J4L. I totally forgot about that. Damn you, JPN.

I'll give LH that (it was a bad comparison), but jumping on a guy who just pitched his first ever playoff game is way too harsh. Not every young pitcher can be Matt Moore.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 05:07 AM)
I'll give LH that (it was a bad comparison), but jumping on a guy who just pitched his first ever playoff game is way too harsh. Not every young pitcher can be Matt Moore.

Saying "Daniel Hudson is not Roy Halladay" ≠ jumping on Daniel Hudson.