White Sox at Detroit Tigers

justBLAZE

QUOTE (Andrew @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 09:00 PM)
Looked it up myself...

Still prolly more valuable than s***ty Pena, but that's comparing Charmin to store-brand....

He's obliterated the minor leagues. Why they don't play him eludes everyone. Well, everyone except those that can't admit Tony Pena is awful at his profession.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 02:56 AM)
At least the bullpen got the day off.

Send Pena to the DL and bring up anyone withe a pulse.

Beckham and Rios are killing this team as I Will give Dunn a learning curve to DH and a new league.

Yuk on Dunn as well.

Beckham shouldn't be this streaky. He needs to get his head out of his ass. He was great the first four or five games. I'm not a big Rios guy but he was starting to win

me over last year.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 08:56 PM)
At least the bullpen got the day off.

Send Pena to the DL and bring up anyone withe a pulse.

Beckham and Rios are killing this team as I Will give Dunn a learning curve to DH and a new league.

Pena has given up runs on blown up and especially close games. KW needs to admit that was a bad trade and send him down. A young pitcher can do better than him

He's obliterated the minor leagues. Why they don't play him eludes everyone. Well, everyone except those that can't admit Tony Pena is awful at his profession.

Yeah, weird. I remember seeing him at TEP a few years back and thinking - wow, this guy hits a s*** ton.

Years later, he's 700 Gs in the minors and only 50 something in the bigs, but the numbers are similar but for the value power...

But we've seen that so many times because call-ups are almost always put in a s*** hole where there's no OBP, driving the SLG down....

Whatever - Pena sucks, that's for sure.

QUOTE (since56 @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 03:25 AM)
I knew Dunn struck out a lot but................OMG!

It truly is amazing seeing him whiff so much.

I would think the boo birds will be out soon if he doesn't start blasting some home runs.

He's a big black hole in the lineup right now.

He's got eight RBIs in 20 games.

I'm not bagging on Omar, but I just knew he'd have an oh-fer tonight.

All of a sudden we need Omar in the lineup. He's a once a week player on a good team.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 03:30 AM)
This is so f***ing lame. I thought this team was going to be dominant. Heaven forbid we ever have a hot start since 2006.

I thought so, too. I thought it was going to be a great April after the first 3 series.

I know it's a long season but some things are really getting to me. Not just from this season but for a while now.

1. A.J. can't throw anyone out. No excuses no B.S. he can't throw ANYONE out.

2. Beckham can not lay off the high fast ball. I am beginning to think he needed some minor league time, because mostly HE SUCKS!

3. Dunn....UGH!

4.Morel? c'mon

5.The bullpen...........in fact the whole pitching staff.........not so great. Where is our number 1? Peavey? K.W. got taken on that one.

mean while I keep my fingers crossed and say GO SOX!

It truly is amazing seeing him whiff so much.

I would think the boo birds will be out soon if he doesn't start blasting some home runs.

He's a big black hole in the lineup right now.

He's got eight RBIs in 20 games.

I'm not bagging on Omar, but I just knew he'd have an oh-fer tonight.

All of a sudden we need Omar in the lineup. He's a once a week player on a good team.

Tigers came out swinging first/second pitch...all night. It makes sense. Bad weather; a pitcher wants to control the count...they didn't want to let Buehrle do that to them so, bang him early and build momentum.

We did the exact opposite. Tried to work counts and got burned. The lineup sucked. Morel and Beckham looked like the youngbloods they are. He did the same thing every damn time - fastball fastball fastball - all for strikes, then junk. They fell for it every time.

And Dunn - for f***s sake.... It's like he's got a plastic hip on that right side.

I still don't get the Sox hitting philosophy. It's like there's no plan, scouting, or "leadership" to assist them. I'm not talking about Greg Walker teaching people how to swing - but how about some f***ing strategy? He's seen Verlander how many times?

I see other teams figure us out all the time, and it's like we either bomb by luck or fail massively. Frustrating team to watch and I can clearly see many of completely lost (talking about YOU Beckham, Morel, and Alexei) players and it's not their fault because who the hell can teach teach them better? The Silent Captain? Our stitched up DH? S***ty CF?

Greg Walker?

Christ, I feel sorry for them....

Edited by Andrew

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 09:08 PM)

Brandon Allen appears to be a AAAA player. He's been brutal in the majors. He makes Adam Dunn look like a contact hitter.

QUOTE (Andrew @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 10:44 PM)
Tigers came out swinging first/second pitch...all night. It makes sense. Bad weather; a pitcher wants to control the count...they didn't want to let Buehrle do that to them so, bang him early and build momentum.

We did the exact opposite. Tried to work counts and got burned. The lineup sucked. Morel and Beckham looked like the youngbloods they are. He did the same thing every damn time - fastball fastball fastball - all for strikes, then junk. They fell for it every time.

And Dunn - for f***s sake.... It's like he's got a plastic hip on that right side.

I still don't get the Sox hitting philosophy. It's like there's no plan, scouting, or "leadership" to assist them. I'm not talking about Greg Walker teaching people how to swing - but how about some f***ing strategy? He's seen Verlander how many times?

I see other teams figure us out all the time, and it's like we either bomb by luck or fail massively. Frustrating team to watch and I can clearly see many of completely lost (talking about YOU Beckham, Morel, and Alexei) players and it's not their fault because who the hell can teach teach them better? The Silent Captain? Our stitched up DH? S***ty CF?

Greg Walker?

I love this post. Spot on.

QUOTE (Andrew @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 10:44 PM)

Greg Walker?

Yeah, I'd pin last night's loss on Greg Walker. When you only need to score 10 runs to win, there's definitely a problem with your hitting coach, especially considering how much Verlander sucks. Every other team in baseball has him figured out. This has to be the work of Walker.

FWIW, I believe a pitcher wants to "control the count" no matter how the weather. As has been well documented, pitchers who throw first pitch strikes more often are far more successful than those who do not.

Edited by Dick Allen

In all fairness, we've done plenty of damage against Verlander in the last five seasons.

This line-up is just in one of their collective slides, nothing new for the last decade. And the opposing starters have a LOT to do with it.

Just because you've faced someone 10 times doesn't mean you can then use that knowledge every time out to beat them. If that were true, then we would have turned the corner against Liriano, Santana or Sabathia a long time ago. Just like college basketball teams that get more and more knowledgeable about their opponents when they play 3 or more times in one season, it actually in many ways gets harder and not easier to beat someone like that.

Think of it from the flip side. Everyone's seen what Mark Buehrle does for the last 10 years. There are no secrets about it. His stuff now is basically what your average high schooler in a top notch program features. Yet he's had 2 no hitters and has gone through numerous teams like a buzzsaw during his career. It's not that those teams weren't prepared to face him, they were just out-executed, out-thought and usually swung at his pitches or got themselves out.

That's the nature of hitting and pitching.

Normally, over 5-6-7 innings, you'll take 3 runs off Verlander (as long as it's not 0-1-2 runs), hope your own starter holds them down and turn it over to the bullpens.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 07:53 AM)
In all fairness, we've done plenty of damage against Verlander in the last five seasons.

This line-up is just in one of their collective slides, nothing new for the last decade. And the opposing starters have a LOT to do with it.

Just because you've faced someone 10 times doesn't mean you can then use that knowledge every time out to beat them. If that were true, then we would have turned the corner against Liriano, Santana or Sabathia a long time ago. Just like college basketball teams that get more and more knowledgeable about their opponents when they play 3 or more times in one season, it actually in many ways gets harder and not easier to beat someone like that.

Think of it from the flip side. Everyone's seen what Mark Buehrle does for the last 10 years. There are no secrets about it. His stuff now is basically what your average high schooler in a top notch program features. Yet he's had 2 no hitters and has gone through numerous teams like a buzzsaw during his career. It's not that those teams weren't prepared to face him, they were just out-executed, out-thought and usually swung at his pitches or got themselves out.

That's the nature of hitting and pitching.

Normally, over 5-6-7 innings, you'll take 3 runs off Verlander (as long as it's not 0-1-2 runs), hope your own starter holds them down and turn it over to the bullpens.

Actually that has changed. They said on the broadcast that Verlander had been 2-9 in his career against the Sox. He is now 8-9. He quit throwing this team the fastball as much.