White Sox vs. Detroit 12:10 on WGN

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 02:31 PM)
Although MLB doesn't publish official numbers so things are a little opaque, you can take it from the yearly Forbes published numbers.

Here's reality...Forbes published that the Sox were $26 million in the black last season, and then suddenly the Sox went out and boosted their payroll by just about $25 million. Although they're not publishing everything, that's telling me that the Forbes numbers are pretty darn accurate. They're not going to lose money on this team. If they get in danger of really losing money because they're at the bottom of the Central on June 15, they'll ship enough people off to cover the potential loss.

You also have to consider that while we got $4+ million when David Wells went down in 2001, the amount of insurance for a pitcher with Jake Peavy's history has to be at least $2-3 million in additional payments per year. Heck, with all the pitching injuries and "babying" of superstars these days, I wouldn't be surprised if it was $4 million.

At least that's what I would charge if i was AIG or Lloyd's of London.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney

I write this with all due respect:Cannot believe how badly the White Sox are playing/hitting these days. Completely shut down,day after day.

this team is the laughingstock of the league. Did you see the demonstration by miggy on the last out?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 02:35 PM)
Why would you trade anyone for nothing in return. Every loss we suffer through and this is inevitably what we see posted. It's early folks and this team will snap out of it.

The same reason we traded Ray Durham for Jon Adkins.

To save money.

Even Michael Cuddyer and the Twins are saying it's not an excuse to say "it's early" anymore.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 07:38 PM)
The same reason we traded Ray Durham for Jon Adkins.

To save money.

Even Michael Cuddyer and the Twins are saying it's not an excuse to say "it's early" anymore.

You don't trade good talent away for nothig just to save money. This team in not a cellar dwelling team it is and will be a winner. If you do trade you trade for talent equal to or better than what you trade away

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 07:31 PM)
Ummm....Mark Teahen and Juan Pierre say hello. Probably AJ Pierzynski as well.

You might be able to dump Buehrle's contract for nothing in return.

I don't think Konerko's going to be moveable without sending a financial subsidy along in return. Just depends on a contending team having an injury there....but even with an injury, taking an aging 1B at this stage in his career is a big risk for any organization because of the multi-year implications down the line.

Teams can start dumping contracts in a hurry and suddenly have one of the lowest payrolls in baseball.

I would think the Sox will do that. The Cell is going to be empty anyway.

Probably the first thing they should do is dump Dunn, but with our luck the minute we do he'll hit about 20 homers in 20 days.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
Watched the game on WGN today. What a pathetic offensive show AGAIN! Only good thing I saw other than Danks pitched well was the Thornton was loking more like his old self. That could be a good sign.

The fact that Thornton pitched well means nothing. He's pitched a few good innings this year in non 9th inning/save situations.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 02:28 PM)
Where does that figure come from? $20 million?

You said they hadn't been under 1.6 million since 1999, but there's no way they draw over 1.85 million this year if they don't at least get back to .500.

I'm so sick and tired of hearing people defending these multi-millionaires and billionaries who hid in the backround and use to Sox as a way to make some easy chump change. Reinsdorf insulted Sox fans with that "All In" b.s. When I first heard that I'm saying to myself.....and? He's in no worse than the third largest market in the known universe and he is so compelled to say this year (I guess as opposed to the other almost 30 years since he and his cabal railroaded DeBartolo out of ownership) that he's going all out. That's my minimum expectation every year. And don't look now, but he and that awful management team are failing miserably.

To relieve the Chicago sports scene of Reinsdorf you have to buy the Sox and the Bulls. The last time I heard, he's lookling for about 1 billion dollars.

Imagine paying almost nothing for both of those teams and realizing that kind of the profit. And the one athlete most responsible for Reinsdorf still being relevant wasn't even given a piece of the ownership.

Edited by mcgrad70

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 07:34 PM)
Jamarcus Dunn with another rough day at the plate. Forget the Dodgers, Selig should take over the White Sox. Because this s*** is disgraceful and detrimental to the game. The Yankees must be licking their chops.

Have you ever seen the Sox enter a series in which it's guaranteed they lose 3, probably all four?

Oh wait, Tampa Bay this week.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
We're not paying Juan Pierre all that much. Teahen might be unmovable, but caring about $5 million is stupid.

Konerko and AJ are playing for us basically earning the same amounts that other teams offered them last offseason, and frankly, AJ is looking better at the plate than he did last year (although he's got a low OPS, he just hasn't homered yet).

We're paying Juan Pierre $7 million this season. Last year, he was only $3.5 million.

Throwing away $12+ million is what's causing us to have to think about trading Danks or Quentin (eventually, if things continue on this path).

Let's not forget Linebrink as well. So that's basically $15 million.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 07:40 PM)
The fact that Thornton pitched well means nothing. He's pitched a few good innings this year in non 9th inning/save situations.

I have to disagree with your assessment that his outing today meant nothing. You could see the return of that slider and his fastball was exploding. Bodes well for our pen

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 07:42 PM)
I didn't watch past the last out. Was Miggy being an idiot?

I didn't see it either but he probably laughed at how easy that sweep was.

White Sox love to hit those lazy lazy pop ups.

What was it, 9-0 and 3-0 and the first game we got a couple runs??

The bullpen still hasn't had a chance to blow anything in 11 games or so.

Wait til we finally have a lead in NY.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 12:44 PM)
Not really. Just slapped his mitt, made a motions to the clouds, and extended his arms out in the air. Nothing worse that that douchebag Papelbon does after each save.

Blew a kiss to the sky and opened his arms. The same kind of thing you see Konerko do all the time.

At the same time Valverde the pimp was going thru his motions.

We didn't get a hit before two outs in the fourth inning the first two games. We keep letting first pitch fastballs fly by as called strikes from a fastball pitcher in Scherzer (Yes, that means you Mark Teahen...and when you want him to strike out, he hits into a double play!!)

All runs scored on solo homers by Quentin (2) and Konerko.

BA with RISP is non-existent. Morel is completely in a fog, and Beckham and Rios train wrecks were hid by their being on the bench temporarily.

If not for Danks, I think 90% of AAA and AA rosters would have a good chance of beating this Sox team with the line-up we sent out there today.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 01:18 PM)
At least Thornton looked solid. Threw a TON of sliders. I think I only saw 4 fastballs, and everything else was sliders.

He's now a two trick pony.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 02:43 PM)
I have to disagree with your assessment that his outing today meant nothing. You could see the return of that slider and his fastball was exploding. Bodes well for our pen

I'd like to see it in the 9th inning in a save situation before I got excited about it. No doubt he looked good, however.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 03:43 PM)
We're paying Juan Pierre $7 million this season. Last year, he was only $3.5 million.

Throwing away $12+ million is what's causing us to have to think about trading Danks or Quentin (eventually, if things continue on this path).

Let's not forget Linebrink as well. So that's basically $15 million.

The Dodgers paid 1/2 of that.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 12:56 PM)
Are you really bothered by what Miggy did?

I am indeed. I'm tired of a lot the showboating that you see and no, I'm not some grizzled old f*** who wants it to be like the old days. Miggy threw both arms in the air in a dramatic way, arched his back and then blew a kiss. If you didn't see it look again. It was an in-your-face to the Sox but that's just my opinion. In case you didn't know, the Tigers hate the Sox as do most teams in the division. I don't mind that at all, I just wish the Sox were as pumped about beating them as they are about beating us.

Ozzie loves giving guys rest so they are fresh in September. You get he day off, you get the whole day off.

I wonder what he would actually do in the NL, the pitcher would bat in 8th down by a run because it was a day off for someone.

I really am starting to wonder if guillenr eally cares all that much any longer