White Sox vs. Detroit 12:10 on WGN

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 02:16 PM)
Changing Walker out won't matter.

I think the first consideration is whether a managerial change BEFORE a possible firesale is going to make any difference...to me, it's worth a shot.

You'd hate to see them go down this season without trying everything possible.

The x-factor this season is the $130M payroll. If things continue down this path, the Chairman is set to lose big money this year. When this team is running deep in the red this June, it will force changes. Most likely these changes are going to be player personnel, but I would have to think Jerry is going to hold more than just the players responsible for this kind of failure.

KW knows that the Twins are only 1/2 game ahead of us...this NY series and how we respond will be a key determinant of how things go for the rest of the season. If we just lie down like we have for the last 13 games, it doesn't bode well for this season.

I don't see how the Sox will turn this thing around in NY.

This sure looks like a team that just flat gave up after the stretch of horrible relief outings.

4 games in NY?

We win one if we're lucky. I mean cmon.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 02:14 PM)
Sox on pace for worst start since 2001, they were 7-15.

Finished 83-79.

What was our record last year at this time?

Last year, we went to NY with a 9-14 mark and lost 2/3.

10-16 after 26 games.

We'll be lucky to be 8 games under .500 when we come home this Friday.

QUOTE (Chisoxrd5 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 03:20 PM)
The x-factor this season is the $130M payroll. If things continue down this path, the Chairman is set to lose big money this year. When this team is running deep in the red this June, it will force changes. Most likely these changes are going to be player personnel, but I would have to think Jerry is going to hold more than just the players responsible for this kind of failure.

Keep a couple details in mind...the Chairman probably made $20 million last year with a struggling team, and he basically committed that $20 million to the roster this year. If the attendance figures come in similar, he's at break even.

If there's a drop in attendance, that'll push him towards losing money...but there's also a possibility that there may be insurance dollars coming in again if the Sox hold a policy on Peavy, which has been rumored ever since we traded for him.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 07:21 PM)
1-10 our past 11 games. LOL. That's pretty hard to do, actually.

Exactly. What are they going to say if they lose 4 in NY?

One of the worst stretches in modern team history with this payroll? Wow.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 02:18 PM)
At least Thornton looked solid. Threw a TON of sliders. I think I only saw 4 fastballs, and everything else was sliders.

I was going to say at least that will increase his trade value. Someone will want Crain or Thornton.

I guess at SOME point this season, the Sox will get hot again, make us ALMOST believe to the point where these comments look silly. Then we'll face Minnesota again.

Well, at least having lost 9 in a row now to Detroit, it can't get any worse. We usually have played well against the Tigers, which is the scary thing. It's the Indians and Royals who have caused trouble recently.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chisoxrd5 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 02:20 PM)

The only problem RD. Is that the ability to move for fiscal cleansing is minimal. Jackson and Buerhle are in their last years and won't garner a ton of prospects. Danks is worth something, but the minute we start moving our pitching then we are f***ed. Because the farm is empty and we have some older players locked up for a few years of a win now mentality.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 07:22 PM)
Keep a couple details in mind...the Chairman probably made $20 million last year with a struggling team, and he basically committed that $20 million to the roster this year. If the attendance figures come in similar, he's at break even.

If there's a drop in attendance, that'll push him towards losing money...but there's also a possibility that there may be insurance dollars coming in again if the Sox hold a policy on Peavy, which has been rumored ever since we traded for him.

Those insurance companies must be in the habit of just giving out money insuring baseball pitchers.

Did he really think Morel and Lillibridge were going to do anything at the plate today?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 06:59 PM)
I can't believe more people aren't calling for his head. He's just going through the motions now.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 03:24 PM)
The only problem RD. Is that the ability to move for fiscal cleansing is minimal. Jackson and Buerhle are in their last years and won't garner a ton of prospects. Danks is worth something, but the minute we start moving our pitching then we are f***ed. Because the farm is empty and we have some older players locked up for a few years of a win now mentality.

Let's be honest though...if Dunn ever resumes hitting like Adam Dunn...there are possibly only 2 guys on the roster you really look at and think "Unmovable", and that's Rios and Peavy. Rios could easily make himself moveable again, he did last year, and Peavy isn't hurting the team in salary if there's insurance on his contract.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 03:24 PM)
Those insurance companies must be in the habit of just giving out money insuring baseball pitchers.

If you spend enough money on the insurance contract, then people will insure almost anything, so yeah.

Hell, AIG insured a few trillion worth of stuff without knowing what it was.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)

Where does that figure come from? $20 million?

You said they hadn't been under 1.6 million since 1999, but there's no way they draw over 1.85 million this year if they don't at least get back to .500.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 02:26 PM)
Let's be honest though...if Dunn ever resumes hitting like Adam Dunn...there are possibly only 2 guys on the roster you really look at and think "Unmovable", and that's Rios and Peavy. Rios could easily make himself moveable again, he did last year, and Peavy isn't hurting the team in salary if there's insurance on his contract.

If the guys are hitting and playing like they are capable of then we are not talking fire sale. But if large parts of the team are taking a siesta for a few months then it doesnt help their value.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 02:23 PM)
Exactly. What are they going to say if they lose 4 in NY?

One of the worst stretches in modern team history with this payroll? Wow.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't remember a worse stretch in a long time. This team looks defeated, beat, whatever term you want to use, that's it. I don't see any fire under anyone's belly its the same old s*** every year now it seems. Big expectations and a big let down. We scored 3 runs this series and all of them solo shots. Where is the fire Greg Walker thread????

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 03:28 PM)
Where does that figure come from? $20 million?

Although MLB doesn't publish official numbers so things are a little opaque, you can take it from the yearly Forbes published numbers.

Here's reality...Forbes published that the Sox were $26 million in the black last season, and then suddenly the Sox went out and boosted their payroll by just about $25 million. Although they're not publishing everything, that's telling me that the Forbes numbers are pretty darn accurate. They're not going to lose money on this team. If they get in danger of really losing money because they're at the bottom of the Central on June 15, they'll ship enough people off to cover the potential loss.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 02:26 PM)

Ummm....Mark Teahen and Juan Pierre say hello. Probably AJ Pierzynski as well.

You might be able to dump Buehrle's contract for nothing in return.

I don't think Konerko's going to be moveable without sending a financial subsidy along in return. Just depends on a contending team having an injury there....but even with an injury, taking an aging 1B at this stage in his career is a big risk for any organization because of the multi-year implications down the line.

Edited by caulfield12

Watched the game on WGN today. What a pathetic offensive show AGAIN! Only good thing I saw other than Danks pitched well was the Thornton was loking more like his old self. That could be a good sign.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 03:31 PM)

I don't think Konerko's going to be moveable without sending a financial subsidy along in return. Just depends on a contending team having an injury there....but even with an injury, taking an aging 1B at this stage in his career is a big risk for any organization.

We're not paying Juan Pierre all that much. Teahen might be unmovable, but caring about $5 million is stupid.

Konerko and AJ are playing for us basically earning the same amounts that other teams offered them last offseason, and frankly, AJ is looking better at the plate than he did last year (although he's got a low OPS, he just hasn't homered yet).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 07:31 PM)

I don't think Konerko's going to be moveable without sending a financial subsidy along in return. Just depends on a contending team having an injury there....but even with an injury, taking an aging 1B at this stage in his career is a big risk for any organization because of the multi-year implications down the line.

Why would you trade anyone for nothing in return. Every loss we suffer through and this is inevitably what we see posted. It's early folks and this team will snap out of it.