fire walker

lord chas

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They need to sacrifice someone, and it's about time to reassign Walker. He'd be a scapegoat, it probably won't make a huge difference, but JR and or K-Dubya need to make a statement that this is unacceptable.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 1, 2011 -> 04:36 PM)
They need to sacrifice someone, and it's about time to reassign Walker. He'd be a scapegoat, it probably won't make a huge difference, but JR and or K-Dubya need to make a statement that this is unacceptable.

I'm glad that people are finally getting this, but why has it taken so long?

Honestly, people have been saying this same thing for years in regards to Walker. Is six years after a World Series title the exact cutoff point to be OK with firing somebody if only to make a statement?

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 1, 2011 -> 04:42 PM)
I'm glad that people are finally getting this, but why has it taken so long?

Honestly, people have been saying this same thing for years in regards to Walker. Is six years after a World Series title the exact cutoff point to be OK with firing somebody if only to make a statement?

In the last 4 games the Sox would have had to have scored at least 13,11,7 and 7 to win. You can blame the hitting coach all you want, but firing Greg Walker isn't going to make the Sox record better.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 1, 2011 -> 07:41 PM)
In the last 4 games the Sox would have had to have scored at least 13,11,7 and 7 to win. You can blame the hitting coach all you want, but firing Greg Walker isn't going to make the Sox record better.

That's a very good point, but you can't ignore one problem because you have another. The team can work on more than one problem at a time.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 1, 2011 -> 07:46 PM)
That's a very good point, but you can't ignore one problem because you have another. The team can work on more than one problem at a time.

I just don't understand the constant pounding Walker takes not only here but just about everywhere and most years, including this one, the White Sox hitters are ranked higher than the White Sox pitchers even though on average, a lot more money is spent on the pitchers. Cooper gets no crap at all, in fact, just the opposite.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 1, 2011 -> 08:20 PM)
I just don't understand the constant pounding Walker takes not only here but just about everywhere and most years, including this one, the White Sox hitters are ranked higher than the White Sox pitchers even though on average, a lot more money is spent on the pitchers. Cooper gets no crap at all, in fact, just the opposite.

The team is hitting like .240 with an era of about 4.50 IIRC.

That's an excellent point, it probably has to do with the team having so many sluggers through his years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2011 -> 08:23 PM)
The team is hitting like .240 with an era of about 4.50 IIRC.

10th in the AL in batting average, 9th in runs scored, 12th in ERA and dead last in runs allowed. You can't blame Peavy's injury. His replacement has been nails.

If Walker is so terrible, Don Cooper isn't exactly the pitching guru he's made out to be.

The Sox will be awful if they allow more runs than all the other teams. If hitters swinging at bad pitches is the hitting coach's fault, then pitchers making bad pitches shoud be the pitching coach's fault.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 1, 2011 -> 08:30 PM)
10th in the AL in batting average, 9th in runs scored, 12th in ERA and dead last in runs allowed. You can't blame Peavy's injury. His replacement has been nails.

Get rid of them both. Time to clean house.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 1, 2011 -> 06:33 PM)
Get rid of them both. Time to clean house.

Yep. Clean house...Ozzie and the whole frickin' coaching staff, for starters. Then, start getting rid of Pena, Rios (whatever it takes), etc., etc.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ May 1, 2011 -> 08:41 PM)
Yep. Clean house...Ozzie and the whole frickin' coaching staff, for starters. Then, start getting rid of Pena, Rios (whatever it takes), etc., etc.

I only disagree on a few points. Don Cooper stays. Harold Baines stays. Cox stays.

KW and the rest have to go.

Hope for Change in 2011.

QUOTE (soxfan72 @ May 1, 2011 -> 09:18 PM)
I only disagree on a few points. Don Cooper stays. Harold Baines stays. Cox stays.

KW and the rest have to go.

Hope for Change in 2011.

Why does Cooper stay? The White Sox have given up more runs than every other AL team. Cooper went out to talk to Floyd today with the bases loaded, the next pitch, all the runners scored. Maybe he told him the Sox were all in this year, and he thought let all the runners in.

There are a lot more pitchers that struggled with the Sox while being coached by Cooper who went on and were productive elsewhere, than hitters coached by Walker having success elsewhere after they had left.

Its not just Soxtalk where Walker couldn't possibly a bigger idiot and Cooper is some sort of pitching coach God. Its everywhere, but if you really look closely the results suggest Walker has done more with less, if you base the entire success or failure on a hitting or pitching coach.

People blame the streakiness on Walker, but that's how a lot of players, most players really, go. Although I did see a stat on the board for Mark Teahen on Friday. He has either hit 10 or 11 homers total in April, May, June, July , August and September,in his career. Not too many are like that. Could you imagine if the Sox traded Brian Anderson in 2006 and he hit like Daniel Hudson pitched for AZ in 2010? People wouldn't blame KW, it would be all be on Walker. No one ever mentions Cooper when Hudson's ERA dropped 4 or 5 runs. In all honesty I don't think Cooper should be fired, or Walker for that matter. I would just like the people who blame Walker for every bad ball the Sox swing at also blame Cooper for some of the crap the pitchers throw up there. It never happens. Be consistent. If Chris Sale gives up a homer, if its not Cooper's fault, don't blame Walker when Alex Rios grounds out weakly to SS.

Edited by Dick Allen

Oh, I don't care if they fire both of them. Walker just seems like the easiest one to toss out right now. In my mind, all of the coaching staff and the GM can go.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 1, 2011 -> 08:30 PM)

If Walker is so terrible, Don Cooper isn't exactly the pitching guru he's made out to be.

The Sox will be awful if they allow more runs than all the other teams. If hitters swinging at bad pitches is the hitting coach's fault, then pitchers making bad pitches shoud be the pitching coach's fault.

Dead last in runs allowed and 11th in ERA - they have already allowed 18 unearned runs - so that's not all on the pitching staff. Beyond that, the White Sox pitching staff has been really good over the past few years. It was only the 8th best in the league last year, but was 4.09 overall. In 2009, it was 4.14, which was 2nd best; 4.06 in 2008, good for 6th. It was really bad in 2007 but they didn't have a lot of talent on that staff either. It struggled in 2006 but much of that is thought to be due to the deep World Series run the year before, where they were tied for the best ERA in the league.

The offense consistently does what it is currently doing, where it goes completely dead for an extended period of time before waking up a bit for the summer months, only to fall by the wayside again late in the year. Young players continue to struggle upon arriving with the Sox too, which is not a good sign. It just doesn't seem that he is properly preparing these hitters for each game. I've seen where he works really hard at his job, but at some point hard work has to be met with results, and it hasn't.

A change wouldn't be a bad thing, but I honestly don't care either way. I do think Coop has earned some slack, especially for the work he's done with young pitchers

I still don't get how KW is blamed for this horrendous start. People need bump some threads that were started in the off season when the Sox signed Adam Dunn and Paul Konerko. Almost everyone here was excited. Most of us thought that the Sox were the team to beat in the central and would definitely catapult over the twins. He got the players, and now they aren't performing. So how is that his fault? Sure, he's made a few mistakes. But I still think he's done way more good than bad here.

I hope KW is here for a long long time.

For me, I don't think firing both Ozzie and KW together makes much sense. The organization needs to choose a philosophy and stick with it. Are we going to try and be a small ball team, or live/die with the big hit/HRs. The last 10 years have shown us that when this team enjoys any measure of success, it's through power and big hitters. NOBODY in this organization is capable of even teaching small ball, yet here is Ozzie calling for bunts, and steals, and hit and runs in bad count situation while we squander outs and baserunners with no results.

Hell, even in the 2005!!1!!! we hit 200HRs.

Now we have yet another team that is built for power and we're not scoring.

Without dredging up all the other bulls*** that Ozzie brings to the table with his antics, the simple fact is that he is not managing to the strengths of the team as constructed and even with a real DH this time, we see the same "trash garbage".

I'd like to see him go and a double whammy of him and Walker together hitting the road would be ideal.

My .02.

Edited by Andrew

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ May 2, 2011 -> 02:11 PM)
I still don't get how KW is blamed for this horrendous start. People need bump some threads that were started in the off season when the Sox signed Adam Dunn and Paul Konerko. Almost everyone here was excited. Most of us thought that the Sox were the team to beat in the central and would definitely catapult over the twins. He got the players, and now they aren't performing. So how is that his fault? Sure, he's made a few mistakes. But I still think he's done way more good than bad here.

I hope KW is here for a long long time.

Agreed with this. Coming into the season we had exactly 2 concerns: a shaky back-end of the bullpen (not too big a deal), and wondering if Morel could handle full-time 3b duties.

We have 100 more questions now, but I cannot blame KW for this.