Dunn

oldsox

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 11:01 PM)
Adam Dunn is the last time I trust the mathletes and their tired bulls***.

Where were you when Felix's thread about Dunn being done came up?

That would have been entertaining.

Edited by chw42

These were my exact thoughts about Dunn entering the season:

Adam Dunn brings a ton to this team, but it's totally possible there's going to be a fairly significant adjustment period to the new league and the new position (or lack thereof). We've seen plenty of guys have trouble changing leagues, and we've seen plenty of hitters have trouble shifting to DH. Hopefully Dunn doesn't suffer from a double whammy of the two, because that could get ugly. His tendencies to strike out a lot and hit for low average already leave him susceptible to unfair scorn from a statistically traditional fanbase. Any struggles that magnify those issues could make for a terrible first impression.

And that didn't take into account surgery. I'm going to stay optimistic we didn't sign Pat Burrell II to such a big contract.

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 01:26 AM)
These were my exact thoughts about Dunn entering the season:

And that didn't take into account surgery. I'm going to stay optimistic we didn't sign Pat Burrell II to such a big contract.

Dunn hit a home run in his second AB. I think the initial impressions were pretty good. The surgery probably has something to do with his recent struggles.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 12:57 AM)
Dunn hit a home run in his second AB. I think the initial impressions were pretty good. The surgery probably has something to do with his recent struggles.

Oh, I agree.

But I wouldn't be too surprised if the other factors come into play as well. And I wouldn't blame him. There's a few adjustments he's going to have to make, and those don't always happen overnight.

My underlying point is that we should be patient with him. Even Miguel Cabrera had some struggles in his initial move to the AL/new position. And he's twice the hitter Dunn is.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 04:19 PM)
I think he's likely to go to Arby's. In fact, the entire team should go to Arby's. Because they have good mood food.

That's Dunn's problem. He looks like he has spent too much time at Arby's. He's fatter than I have ever seen him. The reason he's swinging and missing so often is that he has to adjust to looking over another chin as the pitch approahces. I like Dunn, and being in Columbus, I saw him come up through Cincy, but the guys is just plain fat right now and needs to get back into shape.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 06:00 AM)
That's Dunn's problem. He looks like he has spent too much time at Arby's. He's fatter than I have ever seen him. The reason he's swinging and missing so often is that he has to adjust to looking over another chin as the pitch approahces. I like Dunn, and being in Columbus, I saw him come up through Cincy, but the guys is just plain fat right now and needs to get back into shape.

Think so?

Adam-Dunn1.jpg

gyi0061010444.jpg

---

ap-9cef8fcc9fe14ffca73145c12d528280.jpg

He's never been a small guy. I think he's just fine.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 07:31 AM)
Think so?

Adam-Dunn1.jpg

gyi0061010444.jpg

---

ap-9cef8fcc9fe14ffca73145c12d528280.jpg

He's never been a small guy. I think he's just fine.

I realize he's a big guy and that's what, I think, is kind of giving him a free pass. I've always liked him but this year is as big as I have seen him. It's funny, when I turned on my phone this morning, there was a text from a friend of mine who's a lifleong Reds fan, and it basically echoed what I had just posted. I think he'll end up being fine but it wouldn't hurt for him drop 15-20 pounds.

Dunn’s miss percentage on pitches in the strike zone from left-handed pitching is way up, one reason he’s 0-for-7 against lefties this season. His miss percentage against left-handed pitching this season is 40 percent, well above his average of 21.6 percent from 2007-10. Against right-handed pitching, his miss percentage is 27.8 percent this season. (It was 18.0 percent over the last four seasons.)

Last season, Dunn hit .314 with 24 home runs on at-bats ending in a fastball. This season he has six hits and one home run in 37 at-bats (.162). His miss percentage against fastballs has also spiked. From 2007-10 it was 20.8 percent, but this season it’s almost doubled to 39.2 percent.

Making matters worse for the White Sox, the rest of the team seems to be following Dunn’s lead. They’ve scored three runs or fewer in 11 of their past 12 games. After scoring 72 runs in the first 12 games, they’ve been held to 26 runs in their past 12 -- and nine of those came in one game.

White Sox This Season

1st 12 Games Last 12 Games

BA .284 .195

Runs PG 6.1 2.2

HR 14 8

BABIP .305 .222

Chicago, which will try to push its modest win streak to a season-high three tonight against the New York Yankees, has suffered slow starts by Gordon Beckham and Alex Rios as well. They have combined for two home runs and 13 RBI.

The problem for Rios and Beckham is the same as it is for Dunn: inability to hit fastballs. Entering play on Wednesday, the major-league average against fastballs this season is .277. Beckham is hitting .205 and Rios .179 against fastballs. Rios’ average against fastballs is the seventh-lowest this season among hitters with at least 90 plate appearances.

Beckham has also seen his batting average on balls in play (BABIP) dip to .227 this season after posting a .294 mark over the past two seasons. This, despite the fact that he’s putting balls in play at roughly the same rate (73 percent this season compared to 70 percent in 2009-10 combined). The same can be said for Rios, who has a .203 BABIP, far below his career number of .314.

Link

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 05:19 PM)
Those may be the case currently but the size of the sample suggests that they will return to their career norms as opposed to continuing this current trend.

Although the writer didn't specifically say that, I believe that the writer was generally suggesting the exact same conclusion by using the BABIP numbers. Or if he wasn't, then he has no idea what BABIP means.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 10:24 PM)
I know, it's his ritual, iconic actually at this point, and it drives me nuts. Like I said, no matter the results. Joe Morgan was the same way. I just want to run out and hold the damn bat still. lol

It was like Joe was cocking his rifle or something. (That sounded kinda xxx)

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 28, 2011 -> 06:22 AM)
Dunn has to start hitting some bombs.

His performance has been a factor in the Sox being a pathetic last place team so far with an offense about as exciting as Princeton's in basketball back in the day.

you're quickly going to the "waaaa waaaa waaaa" crew.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 28, 2011 -> 12:22 AM)
Dunn has to start hitting some bombs.

His performance has been a factor in the Sox being a pathetic last place team so far with an offense about as exciting as Princeton's in basketball back in the day.

It looks to me like he isn't swinging full out right now. He really seems like he is trying to get his stroke back before he goes back into launch mode.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 28, 2011 -> 07:47 AM)
It looks to me like he isn't swinging full out right now. He really seems like he is trying to get his stroke back before he goes back into launch mode.

I think that's spot-on, I think he wasn't physically ready to come back when he did, and he's still adjusting.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Apr 28, 2011 -> 08:38 AM)
you're quickly going to the "waaaa waaaa waaaa" crew.

I don't know how you can not blast this team for its play so far.

There's really nothing positive to say, so it's either b**** a bit or just shut up.

I notice there aren't many threads on here, so many have just shut up.

I'd rather rip Dunn, Rios, Beckham, AJ, Jackson, the entire bullpen except Sergio cause it makes me feel better.

I'd give the Sox performance in April an F. There's really no other possible grade, except F.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 03:46 AM)
I don't know how you can not blast this team for its play so far.

There's really nothing positive to say, so it's either b**** a bit or just shut up.

I notice there aren't many threads on here, so many have just shut up.

I'd rather rip Dunn, Rios, Beckham, AJ, Jackson, the entire bullpen except Sergio cause it makes me feel better.

I'd give the Sox performance in April an F. There's really no other possible grade, except F.

Yea, nothing wrong with a nice rip fest... I just prefer to do so after they do something like say... Lose 12 to 3 ;)