• Brian Anderson to end the Blackout Game
    • Tadahito Iguchi goes parallel to the ground
    • Buehrle between the legs scoop to Paulie
    • Aaron Rowand, 2005, in old Yankee Stadium
    • I love Joe Crede
    • OTHER
    • DeWayne Wise to preserve Buehrle's no-no
    • Bullpen Sports Bar fans dump beer on Rob Fick/Tigers, April 2000

I didn't want to include the Juan Uribe catch down the 3B line into the stands because that would end up getting 90%+ of the votes.

Hopefully I haven't left out any, just going off the top of my head.

I'm sure there's a play or two from Alexei Ramirez or Juan Uribe during the regular season that would rank up there.

AJ Pierzynski's play against Josh Paul on the ball in the dirt would rank up there as well, certainly the smartest/headiest play.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, I didn't see either of Lillibridge's catches live, but the pounding of the turf, Santos' reactions as well as Jeter (he had to be saying something like "you've got to be s***--- me" or words to that effect) and A-Rod too, simply priceless.

I agree the ball hit by Orlando Palmeiro might have been the most memorable...but I still think the play into the stands before that was equally important.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 06:58 AM)
Unfortunately, I didn't see either of Lillibridge's catches live, but the pounding of the turf, Santos' reactions as well as Jeter (he had to be saying something like "you've got to be s***--- me" or words to that effect) and A-Rod too, simply priceless.

I agree the ball hit by Orlando Palmeiro might have been the most memorable...but I still think the play into the stands before that was equally important.

seeing those catches live, in person was one of the coolest baseball moments I've had.

Game 2 of the ALCS is 1st, Blackout game 2nd, but this may now be number three. Unbelievable.

Tho Buehrle's was still less likely to happen... prolly the best play you'll ever see by anyone ever because of the pure fact that pitchers are barely supposed to field in the first place.

D-Wise for perfecto. The closing speed, the athletism of the leap, and then the guts to keep that ball caught after smashing into the wall. Add to that the situation? No contest for me.

Don't get me wrong, there are some incredible plays on here, but for the total package, you have to get Wise.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 06:58 AM)

I like the part where Jeter looked at the Home Plate ump and all he could say was "Wow." last night. That was great.

I didn’t catch the game yesterday but after watching the highlights I can proudly admit I wouldn’t have made that kind of catch if it was a Playstation game. That thing was destined for a game-winning basehit.

And yes, the reaction from all the players (especially Liillibridge) was priceless. :notworthy

I'd have to go with Buehrle's between the legs flip. We might not see another play like that in our lives. Watching it with Hawk announcing makes it that much better.

"Look at the play by Buehrle! MERCY!"

Although Rooney calling the final two Uribe plays to end the 05 WS are a very close second.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 11:05 AM)
I'd have to go with Buehrle's between the legs flip. We might not see another play like that in our lives. Watching it with Hawk announcing makes it that much better.

"Look at the play by Buehrle! MERCY!"

Although Rooney calling the final two Uribe plays to end the 05 WS are a very close second.

Hawk's call on Wise's catch was a better call, IMO.

I'm with BigSqwert. I loved Buerhle's play, and likely the "better" play, but there was just something crazy about the way Iguchi had to contort his body with the MASSIVE spin on the ball to make that throw 3 inches off the ground parrallel to it was just incredible.

Uribe's back-to-back plays to win the WS is my vote, but since it's not an option I have go with D-Wise's catch. In the 9th inning of a perfect game, late defensive sub, and the fact that it almost dropped, never forget it.

For game 163, I'd vote for Griffey throwing out Cuddyer over BA's catch. I was behind home plate in the Upper Deck and I just said "f***, it's Griffey out there. No way he throws this runner out"

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 07:25 AM)
I know a lot of you discounted Iguchi's ridiculous catch and throw but I'm blown away by it to this day.

This. I still shake my head when I look at the replays.

I still voted for "the catch" though because of the importance of the situation and how he bobbled it.

I hate to admit it, but this is the most insane thing I've ever seen on a baseball diamond.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 12:53 PM)
This. I still shake my head when I look at the replays.

I still voted for "the catch" though because of the importance of the situation and how he bobbled it.

I hate to admit it, but this is the most insane thing I've ever seen on a baseball diamond.

Why? He was doing what he was supposed to be doing. And Giambi was arguably safe anyways.