• Brian Anderson to end the Blackout Game
    • Tadahito Iguchi goes parallel to the ground
    • Buehrle between the legs scoop to Paulie
    • Aaron Rowand, 2005, in old Yankee Stadium
    • I love Joe Crede
    • OTHER
    • DeWayne Wise to preserve Buehrle's no-no
    • Bullpen Sports Bar fans dump beer on Rob Fick/Tigers, April 2000

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 11:53 AM)
This. I still shake my head when I look at the replays.

I still voted for "the catch" though because of the importance of the situation and how he bobbled it.

I hate to admit it, but this is the most insane thing I've ever seen on a baseball diamond.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)
Why? He was doing what he was supposed to be doing. And Giambi was arguably safe anyways.

I think him doing what he's supposed to be doing makes it even more impressive. That play happens pretty often while the infielders just let the ball roll to the catcher, allowing the run to score without a second thought. As for Giambi being arguably safe, I think the ump got it right, but it's as close to a tie as you can find on a play at the plate.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 12:25 PM)
I think him doing what he's supposed to be doing makes it even more impressive. That play happens pretty often while the infielders just let the ball roll to the catcher, allowing the run to score without a second thought. As for Giambi being arguably safe, I think the ump got it right, but it's as close to a tie as you can find on a play at the plate.

I've seen that play a million times and I still have no clue if he was safe or out.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 12:26 PM)
I've seen that play a million times and I still have no clue if he was safe or out.

Exactly. I just did a Google search for some sort of new-aged frame by frame website or super slow-mo of the play, but I couldn't find anything. The umpire isn't extremely well positioned, but its too close to argue.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 05:25 AM)
I know a lot of you discounted Iguchi's ridiculous catch and throw but I'm blown away by it to this day.

Me too. It would be #1 in my book if it weren't for the significance of Wise's catch. And I don't know how that's not #1 of all time in Sox lore.

Why? He was doing what he was supposed to be doing. And Giambi was arguably safe anyways.

Have you ever seen another infielder do that? Really? Grabbing a bad throw from the outfield and flipping it backwards to the catcher in stride to get a runner crossing the plate? EVERYONE was suprised when he did that. Even Giambi was shocked. He didn't even bother to slide because he didn't think he had to.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 10:38 AM)
Have you ever seen another infielder do that? Really? Grabbing a bad throw from the outfield and flipping it backwards to the catcher in stride to get a runner crossing the plate? EVERYONE was suprised when he did that. Even Giambi was shocked. He didn't even bother to slide because he didn't think he had to.

thank you - he shouldn't have been anywhere near it, but saw it evolving and was running into a position in case the cut off men (both) were missed and sure enough, they did.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 11:49 AM)
Uribe's back-to-back plays to win the WS is my vote, but since it's not an option I have go with D-Wise's catch. In the 9th inning of a perfect game, late defensive sub, and the fact that it almost dropped, never forget it.

For game 163, I'd vote for Griffey throwing out Cuddyer over BA's catch. I was behind home plate in the Upper Deck and I just said "f***, it's Griffey out there. No way he throws this runner out"

The fact that a crappy defender made a relatively easy play shouldn't make it the better play.

I also don't get it. On top of what you said and the fact that it was more of a mistake by Giambi not to slide anyway, did Jeter grabbing it even speed the play up? That ball looks, to me, like it's getting to the catcher either way.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 01:26 PM)
The fact that a crappy defender made a relatively easy play shouldn't make it the better play.

It was a significant play, certainly not a great one.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 01:30 PM)
I also don't get it. On top of what you said and the fact that it was more of a mistake by Giambi not to slide anyway, did Jeter grabbing it even speed the play up? That ball looks, to me, like it's getting to the catcher either way.

Eh, there's no way Giambi is out if Jeter doesn't flip that ball, it was a great play and a series saving one.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 01:33 PM)
It was a good one, forgot about that...

Now that play was unbelievable for a 2b to make. About a billion times better than Iguchi's routine, trip over myself and make an easy play look fancy one...

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 01:31 PM)
Technically, the poll is "favorite" defensive play. :D

Ha, touché

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 01:32 PM)
It was a significant play, certainly not a great one.

Eh, there's no way Giambi is out if Jeter doesn't flip that ball, it was a great play and a series saving one.

I seriously don't see how it got the ball there faster. The ball looks like it's going to the catcher, he grabs it and tosses it to the catcher. While he sped up the ball for the last 5 feet, I don't see how him grabbing it in the first place doesn't negate that extra bit of speed at the end. It looks cool, yes, and this may just be my hatred of the constant fellatio of Jeter. We all remember his "epic" catch running into the stands where he easily could have avoided doing it, taking about 7 steps after catching the ball and then going into the stands. If Derek Jeter made the play that Uribe made for the second-to-last out of the World Series in the exact same situation, people's heads would explode.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 01:34 PM)
Now that play was unbelievable for a 2b to make. About a billion times better than Iguchi's routine, trip over myself and make an easy play look fancy one...

David Wright had one of those a few years ago. I believe it was in San Diego. He made a bare-handed catch running into the outfield that looked amazing, but the only reason it was necessary was because he broke the wrong way originally. I don't like when guys get credit for making an amazing play when they were only making up for their own mistake.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)

It's not a matter of whether I've seen it. That is where the shortstop was supposed to be, for that reason. That to me is one of the more overrated plays of all time. Right up there with his running leap into the stands.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)
I'm with BigSqwert. I loved Buerhle's play, and likely the "better" play, but there was just something crazy about the way Iguchi had to contort his body with the MASSIVE spin on the ball to make that throw 3 inches off the ground parrallel to it was just incredible.

I voted Iguchi for the same reason. Plus being there live adds a little for me.