Soxtalk hits 5000 members!

southsider2k5

I can't believe there's 5,000 members. It seems only about 20 people post. It makes your head spin. Do the quiet non posters recognize Greg's posting style? Do they they think I'm an idiot or a brilliant baseball mind? Why don't 1000 of the 5000 post more?

Edited by greg775

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 02:53 AM)
I can't believe there's 5,000 members. It seems only about 20 people post. It makes your head spin. Do the quiet non posters recognize Greg's posting style? Do they they think I'm an idiot or a brilliant baseball mind? Why don't 1000 of the 5000 post more?

Oh s***, Greg is talking in 3rd person now.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 07:53 AM)

It's because of the catch-all thread. Kills discussion on this board.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 01:53 AM)

The other site has far more members but they have a small % of posting. It like the Sox attendance. Probably a lot of casual fans or kids who grew up in the every one gets a trophy era who say "I don't post here because of the negativity". Grow a pair or find a Mr. Rodgers Neighborhood for the Sox website where everyone is special.

This site is not as negative compared to others.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 07:14 PM)
The other site has far more members but they have a small % of posting. It like the Sox attendance. Probably a lot of casual fans or kids who grew up in the every one gets a trophy era who say "I don't post here because of the negativity". Grow a pair or find a Mr. Rodgers Neighborhood for the Sox website where everyone is special.

This site is not as negative compared to others.

A lot of us are negative, but what the heck? There's something again about this team that was not exactly loveable. A lot of things to like, though. It could be a lot worse.

I know I lurked here for a year before signing up, and after that it still took time before I decided I had anything to say. I'm guessing a lot of the lurkers just don't think they have anything to add to the conversation and come because they enjoy reading people whose thoughts are like theirs'. I mean for me living outside of the Chicagoland area, this is my go to place for all Sox news and discussion instead of checking out national sites and what not that barely ever cover the Sox.

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 07:04 PM)
I know I lurked here for a year before signing up, and after that it still took time before I decided I had anything to say. I'm guessing a lot of the lurkers just don't think they have anything to add to the conversation and come because they enjoy reading people whose thoughts are like theirs'. I mean for me living outside of the Chicagoland area, this is my go to place for all Sox news and discussion instead of checking out national sites and what not that barely ever cover the Sox.

I'd think people would want to say stuff in response to loudmouths like me. I don't know much but I like to spout my opinions and vent my frustrations. For the life of me, I can't figure out how the Sox just completely went in the tank. It's a completely different team than the first half.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 09:31 PM)
I'd think people would want to say stuff in response to loudmouths like me. I don't know much but I like to spout my opinions and vent my frustrations. For the life of me, I can't figure out how the Sox just completely went in the tank. It's a completely different team than the first half.

Now you're doing your Kansan Bob Dole/3rd person impersonation to get people all riled up, lol.

It's not going to work.

Frankly, the fans don't seem to care (not many), the boards are pretty dead, college and NFL football seasons are in full swing, there's always politics/presidential election to draw some away from sports, the media doesn't even seem to have the energy to pick over the bones of the carcass...certainly, MLB is a lot happier with Verlander/Cabrera/Fielder in the playoffs, despite the overall media advantage to having a Chicago team. The White Sox just aren't a well-known or well-promoted team on a national basis. If Ozzie was still around, or Cowley, or Mariotti, it wouldn't really make that much of a difference.

You could make the argument that Hawk Harrelson has gotten almost as much (if not more) national media attention as Dunn, Peavy and Rios this season. Certainly, a lot more than someone like Jose Quintana or Addison Reed.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 09:31 PM)

Mental midgets. This is 21 century White Sox baseball.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 03:55 AM)
Frankly, the fans don't seem to care (not many)

What is the reason for that general malaise in the White Box support? Maybe I'm picking up on it too much, but I see low attendance at the Cell being referenced a lot on here, and you seem to expand this further to cover fans online?

You mention a number of reasons that would distract the more casual or bandwagon-jumping type of supporter, but why the apparent lack of interest this year, with so much to play for? Is the Sox core support reducing, just in a rut, or is this about what it's always been?

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 04:57 PM)
What is the reason for that general malaise in the White Box support? Maybe I'm picking up on it too much, but I see low attendance at the Cell being referenced a lot on here, and you seem to expand this further to cover fans online?

You mention a number of reasons that would distract the more casual or bandwagon-jumping type of supporter, but why the apparent lack of interest this year, with so much to play for? Is the Sox core support reducing, just in a rut, or is this about what it's always been?

There's nice read on WSI about this that links to a Chicago NPR station.

As for forums, these can be time consuming and people prefer to glance instead of getting involved.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 11:57 PM)

I've heard from a lot of my casual-fan Sox friends and they said they didn't follow the team closely this year cause they knew this would happen. They knew on paper we didn't have as good a team as free-spending Detroit. A lot of fans won't pay attention unless we win going away. They knew we didn't have the makeup for a division winner.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 08:59 PM)
I've heard from a lot of my casual-fan Sox friends and they said they didn't follow the team closely this year cause they knew this would happen. They knew on paper we didn't have as good a team as free-spending Detroit. A lot of fans won't pay attention unless we win going away. They knew we didn't have the makeup for a division winner.

first you say they're casual fans who don't follow the team closely, then you say they had enough information to know we didn't have the makeup for a division winner. which one is it? If all our players performed at their potential we'd have run away with this division. they did just that for quite a long stretch of time this season. Frankly, I enjoyed this season. Why? because I expected us to be in 4th place all year and we WEREN'T! I expected us to suck and have no reason to watch, but we were in the THICK of it all year! Proving people wrong left and right. So yes, we've collapsed, and it sucks, but just because the last two weeks have been awful doesn't make the last 5 months of baseball a waste. It was a good time, and a successful first go-round for Robin. I'm happy.

There's a lot of posters out there, actually.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 08:59 PM)

You sure know everything.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 03:52 PM)
first you say they're casual fans who don't follow the team closely, then you say they had enough information to know we didn't have the makeup for a division winner. which one is it? If all our players performed at their potential we'd have run away with this division. they did just that for quite a long stretch of time this season. Frankly, I enjoyed this season. Why? because I expected us to be in 4th place all year and we WEREN'T! I expected us to suck and have no reason to watch, but we were in the THICK of it all year! Proving people wrong left and right. So yes, we've collapsed, and it sucks, but just because the last two weeks have been awful doesn't make the last 5 months of baseball a waste. It was a good time, and a successful first go-round for Robin. I'm happy.

I don't know why so many smart fans like yourself thought the team would for sure suck. I had no real expectations either way. It was obvious we had enough "name" players that if things went well, the Sox would do well. I thought we'd finish 10 or more out, but that's because of Detroit. There was a chance with a ton of name players that the team could do OK, which it did.

I would imagine many of the quiet non-posters don't have much to say in respect to Greg (I'll keep it third person for you).

As far as I'm concerned, I don't think you're an idiot. For some reason, you seem to be more loyal to Ozzie than to the White Sox. For the most part, I think your arguments are fine. And I admire how you can take such a beating from so many people and keep posting.

Speaking for myself, I don't post too much as I'm very new to the world of baseball so can't offer a whole lot more beyond the standard drivel-type postings of the "Go Sox" and "Get stuck into this mob" variety.

I do like to follow the threads and the opinions of various posters (third person or otherwise) and would add my tuppence worth more if I had a better appreciation of the game and felt I could make a worthwile contribution to a thread or fully blazing argument!! :gosoxretro: :lolhitting :notworthy :headbang :gosox1: :bringit :unsure: :gosox3: :gosox2: :gosox4:

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 04:19 PM)
I think youre not only the best baseball mind on this site, but also a gentleman and a scholar.

Thanks. Either you are kidding or I have a fan.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 08:48 PM)
I would imagine many of the quiet non-posters don't have much to say in respect to Greg (I'll keep it third person for you).

As far as I'm concerned, I don't think you're an idiot. For some reason, you seem to be more loyal to Ozzie than to the White Sox. For the most part, I think your arguments are fine. And I admire how you can take such a beating from so many people and keep posting.

Thanks. I am loyal to Ozzie; I'm currently mad at the White Sox.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 03:46 PM)
Speaking for myself, I don't post too much as I'm very new to the world of baseball so can't offer a whole lot more beyond the standard drivel-type postings of the "Go Sox" and "Get stuck into this mob" variety.

I do like to follow the threads and the opinions of various posters (third person or otherwise) and would add my tuppence worth more if I had a better appreciation of the game and felt I could make a worthwile contribution to a thread or fully blazing argument!! :gosoxretro: :lolhitting :notworthy :headbang :gosox1: :bringit :unsure: :gosox3: :gosox2: :gosox4:

I like your avatar logo. You should post more. None of us truly know anything which is what it boils down to, or we think we know more than we do might be a better way of putting it. Except fathom. He knows it all. Kidding, kidding, kidding.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 3, 2012 -> 12:06 AM)

I think we're all mad at the Sox right now. But, I'm over it and ready to look forward to 2013. I think it's going to be an interesting off season, and this team may look a lot different. Or it could look almost the same, but I'm not sure that would be a good thing. Some changes need to be made.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 3, 2012 -> 12:06 AM)

Players and managers come and go. Stop worrying about the name on the back of the shirt and start worrying about the name on the front of the shirt. My guess is that you are going to be mad at the Marlins shortly as well.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Oct 3, 2012 -> 03:13 PM)
Players and managers come and go. Stop worrying about the name on the back of the shirt and start worrying about the name on the front of the shirt. My guess is that you are going to be mad at the Marlins shortly as well.

I should prolly explain. I meant I was mad at the Sox for their collapse, not firing Ozzie.