What's a worse scenario?

knightni

Which would be the worst option of these?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Big League success vs. Farm success

• Dump salary, lose a bunch (bottom 5 in league) for 5 or 6 years, build up the minors.
    • Mediocre salary, mediocre record (around .500), mediocre minors.
    • Huge salary, pretty good team (always in the running), really lousy minors.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 07:12 PM)
Ginger, couldn't agree with you more about AJ's defense killing us this series. He's given the Orioles numerous runs already due to not being able to block pitches in the dirt.

I was pissed off at this team last season but now I'm just disgusted. The team re-signed guys like AJ for this s***? Can he throw anyone out? Will Pierre ever steal a base again? Ha! And poor Beckham. Man, I hope that guy has a girlfriend to go home to.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 1, 2011 -> 03:17 AM)
I was pissed off at this team last season but now I'm just disgusted. The team re-signed guys like AJ for this s***? Can he throw anyone out? Will Pierre ever steal a base again? Ha! And poor Beckham. Man, I hope that guy has a girlfriend to go home to.

Plain and simple, this team has played bad so far. We're not even getting to face a lot of closers due to losing by so much.

QUOTE (jeffro2525 @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 07:12 PM)
AJ didn't cost us the series. We weren't scoring enough for it to matter.

he kind of did, but it's not even worth the point of discussion because it's just rearranging deck chairs on the titanic.

April's almost over. Does it matter? Hope so.

The Twins were 9-15 in April, 2006.

The only question is where are our Sox verions of Santana and Liriano going to come from?

Gardy's solution: We start tomorrow at 0-0!!!! Really? This is the solution? I wish my boss would think like that when we have a bad day at the office. I guess things change when you make millions, and only work 6 months a year... How can Justin and Cuddy keep cashing those checks, and still sleep at night. $15mill and $10mill for those two, and Gardy can't call them out for playing like Punto? I have said it before, when you are small market, you have to have your horses perform, because you can only afford two or three, the rest of the roster will be AAA players. Joe, Justin and Cuddy are giving us nothing, nothing at all. $50mill/yr for those 3, OMG.... REFUND!!!!!!!!! startribune.com/sports

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (since56 @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 09:29 PM)
Kw has put together a collection of talented players, instead of a team.

Which has been the case every season since 2005, especially 2006.

TOO much tinkering. You can't change out 8-10 players every season without suffering a loss in team chemistry and cohesiveness.

That's where the Twins have the advantage. They've promoted players in waves who have won together in the minors, were drafted and developed together, by the time they leave the organization, they've often been playing together for 8-10 years.

With that philosophy, you learn how to trust in and rely on your teammates.

It's only now that they have a huge payroll and have lost the chip on their shoulder that they're struggling not being in the perpetual underdog/Piranha role.

Mediocre everything is the worst scenario, and it's not even close. Attendance will suck with .500 ish records, and mediocre salary means not spending enough to fix our mediocre system, which won't yield enough to win. Mediocre everything is a hopeless position that almost assures long term failure. Spending a lot with pretty good teams and crappy minors sucks too since you'll always have older teams with no plan b if injuries occur or veterans struggle, and "pretty good" far from guarantees playoff spots (especially if you hit a long term drought at any point during the season), but there is at least hope to catch lightning in a bottle every so often built that way. Dump salary, lose a bunch, build up the minors makes it 3 for 3 in the sucks category since "the 5 year plan" is no fun during those 5 years. But at least it's a plan, something this team doesn't seem to have right now.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 07:56 PM)
I picked 20 years on purpose. The late 80s into the early 90's were horrible years where the teams sucked and no one went to the games. Sox fans are already infamous for being bandwagon fans, and if all of the players got traded off, it isn't a big leap of faith to expect crowds to drop back into Cleveland Indians range because there is a history of it on the southside. Heck people are already swearing off going to games. Can you imagine that minus all of the star players, and a couple of ninety loss seasons later? I have history on my side. YOU have your feelings.

Because the teams are hilarious underachievers. I'd happily go to games during a rebuilding effort, since it would be an honest rebuild. I'm not going to pay to watch some sham "contenders" forever and ever.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 1, 2011 -> 11:51 AM)
Because the teams are hilarious underachievers. I'd happily go to games during a rebuilding effort, since it would be an honest rebuild. I'm not going to pay to watch some sham "contenders" forever and ever.

But you would pay to see a AAA team?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 1, 2011 -> 11:28 AM)
What the team is doing right now will set the franchise back 20 years.

I agree...provided nothing is done come the trade deadline. It's going to take a major turnaround right now to get this team back into contention. I'm actually starting to believe that there will a fire sale. If it's done right and they collect some good young players for the future, I'm okay with that. I'm certainly not okay with what this team is looking like right now.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 1, 2011 -> 03:16 PM)
I agree...provided nothing is done come the trade deadline. It's going to take a major turnaround right now to get this team back into contention. I'm actually starting to believe that there will a fire sale. If it's done right and they collect some good young players for the future, I'm okay with that. I'm certainly not okay with what this team is looking like right now.

I've said it since January... This team will be melted down quicker than any team in recent history with the Sox if they don't turn it around. JR and the board are not going to sit on a money losing lemon for too long. If it gets to be June and we are still this bad, it will be the Kids Can Play II, which out to thrill everyone and sell out the stadium from the sounds of the talk on here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2011 -> 03:19 PM)
I've said it since January... This team will be melted down quicker than any team in recent history with the Sox if they don't turn it around. JR and the board are not going to sit on a money losing lemon for too long. If it gets to be June and we are still this bad, it will be the Kids Can Play II, which out to thrill everyone and sell out the stadium from the sounds of the talk on here.

Because our veterans are doing such a great job of bringing in the crowds, right?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2011 -> 03:36 PM)
What part of the Tyler Flowers and Jordan Danks era are you looking forward to exactly?

The part where Ozzie gets fired I suppose... Maybe you shouldn't just assume this organization will be dead for 20 years? I may not be an optimist, but I am nowhere near that pessimistic.

QUOTE (gatnom @ May 1, 2011 -> 03:49 PM)
The part where Ozzie gets fired I suppose... Maybe you shouldn't just assume this organization will be dead for 20 years? I may not be an optimist, but I am nowhere near that pessimistic.

So our player development sucks, our drafting sucks and I am supposed to be excited that our future will become player development and drafting. OK, that makes sense.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2011 -> 03:51 PM)
So our player development sucks, our drafting sucks and I am supposed to be excited that our future will become player development and drafting. OK, that makes sense.

So lets just ignore the problem and pretend like the things we are doing are actually working? I mean all that money we are putting into our major league payroll is really paying off right now isn't it? Our drafting and development aren't the only things that suck.

QUOTE (gatnom @ May 1, 2011 -> 03:55 PM)
So lets just ignore the problem and pretend like the things we are doing are actually working? I mean all that money we are putting into our major league payroll is really paying off right now isn't it? Our drafting and development aren't the only things that suck.

We have a WAY better chance of the talent on this team being successful than we do going into a White Flag situation. There is zero question there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2011 -> 03:19 PM)

Yeah, take out your aggression with the team on the fans who are tired of the same old, crappy team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2011 -> 03:56 PM)
We have a WAY better chance of the talent on this team being successful than we do going into a White Flag situation. There is zero question there.

Depends on your definition of successful, perhaps. In my opinion, we haven't been in recent years, and I am more than willing to try a different avenue. Besides, who do we even have on our roster that other teams want in order to do a white flag trade? Dunn and Danks?